Do I need to prepare the guideline for "Washlet toilet"?

Answered!
Noriko0
Level 10
Tokyo, Japan

Do I need to prepare the guideline for "Washlet toilet"?

I'm preparing a listing. I have curious about how the hosts from the other countries feel about washlet toilet. The washlet toilet is a normal type of toilet in Japan, but my friends from other countries always surprise at many buttons with the toilet. 

スクリーンショット 2019-05-13 11.44.31.png

Nozul for cleaning rear.

スクリーンショット 2019-05-13 11.44.15.png

Imitates the sound of flushing to conceal the sounds of defecation.スクリーンショット 2019-05-13 11.59.19.png

Adjusts water pressure with five levels.

スクリーンショット 2019-05-13 12.00.16.png

Opening and closing the toilet lid automatically.

スクリーンショット 2019-05-13 12.00.49.png

There are many ways to flush toilets in Japan. Carefully look for the relevant method.

スクリーンショット 2019-05-13 11.59.44.png

Have you ever seen before this type of toilet? and do you think should I prepare a guideline for washlet toilet for the guest?

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Noriko0 

I've never seen this techno-miracle in my life, so yes, drawn instructions above the toilet are needed for sure

as @Marit-Anne0  and @Sarah977 said I also see "THE PROBLEM" written all over this toilet seat:)))

Hard to sanitize, buttons sprinkled with pee (in some countries man always pee in standing position), a water fountain will surprise them and sprinkle the water on the floor, etc... 

Keep everything very simple + put notes/signs on everything. You will host people from all over the world and everything has to be very intuitive and easy to use or your guests will use it in the wrong way and break it. it will be stressful and costly for you to repair it all the time.

We realized we have to explain to our international guests how to operate very basic, simple, ordinary things like a door lock with a key, IKEA roller blinds, most ordinary faucets and gas stove, not to throw the diapers in the toilet, do not step on the toilet seat, etc.... it's like working in a kinder garden  😄

For example, we had adjustable dimmer with rotary knowb for the light and despite the big black arrow drawn on it guests kept pushing the knob and broke it every month at least once. We had to replaced it with an ordinary cheap and simple on/off switch.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Lisa1831
Level 5
New York, NY

No, @Noriko0  I have never seen this before. Yes, as a guest I would appreciate  the guideline.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Noriko0 No, never seen that type of toilet. 

Oh, you definitely will need detailed instructions. I'd need a 1 day course 🙂

Out of curiosity, why is it considered easier to push a button to close the toilet seat rather than just close it manually? Seems an awful lot of gadgetry for something as simple as a toilet. And more stuff to sterilize, i.e. all those buttons.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Noriko0 

I used to have relatives living in Japan and they had visitors from all over the world all the time and their public toilet were one of these.  As far as I remember they had to turn off/deactivate some of the funtions so that it resembled a "normal" toilet to us from the western part of the world - only one button to push to flush.  Only the Japanese understood how to use it.  

I suggest you keep it simple and indicate what button to push to flush as that is normally all we need.  Anything else like the "wash your behind" function would come as a BIG surprise 🙂  Hiding noises, one could just turn on the faucet in the hand basin for example.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Noriko0 

I've never seen this techno-miracle in my life, so yes, drawn instructions above the toilet are needed for sure

as @Marit-Anne0  and @Sarah977 said I also see "THE PROBLEM" written all over this toilet seat:)))

Hard to sanitize, buttons sprinkled with pee (in some countries man always pee in standing position), a water fountain will surprise them and sprinkle the water on the floor, etc... 

Keep everything very simple + put notes/signs on everything. You will host people from all over the world and everything has to be very intuitive and easy to use or your guests will use it in the wrong way and break it. it will be stressful and costly for you to repair it all the time.

We realized we have to explain to our international guests how to operate very basic, simple, ordinary things like a door lock with a key, IKEA roller blinds, most ordinary faucets and gas stove, not to throw the diapers in the toilet, do not step on the toilet seat, etc.... it's like working in a kinder garden  😄

For example, we had adjustable dimmer with rotary knowb for the light and despite the big black arrow drawn on it guests kept pushing the knob and broke it every month at least once. We had to replaced it with an ordinary cheap and simple on/off switch.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Noriko0 ,

It's lovely to see you here in the English speaking Community! I visited Japan a few years ago and where I stayed was a similar high tech toilet! At least, from my experience, a guide would have been useful. I didn't know what half the buttons did 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

To avoid mistakes that this guy does in his video fixing his toilet, I strongly advise prepare your guideline!

QIP Shot - Screen 189.png

Just look at this seats I found https://wisepick.org/best-toilet-seat/, I often meet cases where under seat was urined and stink - DISGUSTING

@Noriko0 those are the best toilets, especially the seat warming function! I have only experienced those types of toilets in Japan & they were a bit confusing at first. I would have appreciated a short guide on what the buttons & functions do, and I'm sure your guests will as well.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Noriko0 

Yes, unless you want your toilet damaged beyong repair. that would truly be a ""tihS""  position to be in.

To be honest you should really remove this toilet and replace it with a regular western type toilet,  because we know Japanese's guest will respect it, but I seriously have my doubts about any other cultures.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Noriko0 @Cormac0 @Rachel177 @Jayson14 @Stephanie 

My friend's have this style of toilet in there home, also with lots of buttons for the bottom bits.

They are quite common in advanced age care facilities as they tend to cater more for those who are differently enabled for whatever reason.

@Stephanie  These styles of toilets fit in with Accessibility aids.

All the best

WP_20190603_008.jpg

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Noriko0   I have a friend whose husband is Japanese and they have a toilet like that, and I was totally confused and barely able to get it to flush w/out any directions, so let me add my 'yes' that non Japanese will need directions for how to use it.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Japanese always succeed to surprise me. How one old, simple and common bathroom accessory can be made so hitech, complicated and looking like a spaceship?

In Eastern Europe this is called "bidet". It looks like this:

bide2%20(2)-600x600

Good stuff, but only for personal use. For a hotel or bnb...not a good idea-hard to sanitize. Also costs much-100$ for the cheapest model, 500$ for the middle class. This kind of spaceship like...i`ve never seen them for sale.