Do I reimburse? or Can I use the Airbnb insurance?

César2
Level 2
Puerto Rico

Do I reimburse? or Can I use the Airbnb insurance?

Hi All,

The guys staying at my listing texted me today indicating that last time they flushed the toilet it never stopped filling water and the apartment got flooded. Aparently there is some damage to their belonggings. Although I still need to see what happend with the toilet, I might somehow compensate to them. Is there anyway to use the Airbnb insurance for that? have any of you experienced something like this before?

Thank you!

Cesar

14 Replies 14
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@César2 As far as reimbursing your guests for their damaged luggage, you can do that in the Resolution Center.  Here's a link: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Airbnb Host insurance is not available in all countries.  But even if were available in Puerto Rico, your backed up toilet and the subsequent flooding sound like a homeowners insurance issue.  

Airbnb's Host Insurance program doesn't cover malfunctioning toilets.  😞

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/937/what-is-host-protection-insurance

Thank you @Clare0 I am working on it now. But I'm just wondering, to what extent I am responsible for these type of damages? After all I am not sure if the toilet just broke or if it was a misuse from the guest. Is there something written about this situations? Thanks again for your help.

Cesar

@César2  The fact that you are not sure whether or not your guest broke the toilet does not bode well for recouping any damages from the guest.  Airbnb would certainly rule in favor of the guest. 

One thing I noticed is that you don't have a Security Deposit.  In the event a guest in fact causes damage, you can claim the cost of repair or replacement from the Security Deposit.   Here's how SD's work: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

If a guest accepts responsibility, you will be compensated.  If not, it will go to the Resolution Center where Airbnb, in its sole discrection will decide.  Most of the time they side with the guest.   Here's also a link to the Resolution Help article: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much @Clare0! I will totally consider the security deposit. In this case I am paying for the toilet to get repair but what really concerns me if that my guest is now claiming that his laptop (Mac valued in $2,000) was flooded and damage. I already offered a $300 refund even when I dont know exactly how things happened but he says that he needs to check total repair costs and would then claim at the resolution center. To what extend I am responsible for that laptop? Is there a way we (as hosts) can make a clause waiving this kind of responsibility for future guests? Knowing now that Airbnb tend to rule in favor of the guests, I feel all is going out of context and there is too much risk at stake for me.

Sorry to actually flooding you with questions 😞  This is my last post!

Btw, your listing looks gorgeous!

Thanks

Cesar

@César2 Didn't know about the Mac...darn!  This is a really interesting case!  My best advice for you is to contact Airbnb right away and explain the details of what went on.  Do you have homeowner's insurance? 

The best way to initiate contact with Airbnb is through twitter @Airbnbhelp.  You can also call, but the wait time might be a long one: 

1 787 919-0880. Here's a link for other ways to contact Airbnb: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-How-To-Guide/m-p/16165/highlight/false#...

I would be very interested to know how this all turns out so please keep me posted. 

By the way....no more flooding analogies...you have enough problems!  🙂 You can send me messages anytime.  I spend most of my day on my computer!

@Clare0

Thanks again !

it is indeed a different case. We have insurance, but this particular case I think is very hard to proof in order to submit a claim with the insurance. I am contacting AirBnb on this because I am really worry of the outcome it might have. Just to add to the story, we received a call from the building administrator with a heavy complaint on this guests after they arrived drunk last night and were peeing in the common areas of the building, breaking one of the few rules I making things even harder for me to cooperate.

I will keep you posted!

Cesar

@César2 Ask your building administrator to write down everything he knows about these guest...on company letterhead if possible.  You might need his statement later to bolster your claim that they were negligent / drunk and disorderly.  

@Clare0

I will! Thanks for all your advise.

Best,

Cesar

Geez, who leaves a laptop on the floor in the bathroom?  How else could an overflowing toilet damage a laptop?  I call bullsh**.

@Maria-Lurdes0

@César2

@Clare0

Thanks for hard learned lesson... I will be adding on my description and a note in the house the "We are not responsabile for damages or lost of personal belongings"

Indeed this will be a very complicated case... Your home owners insurance may cover the loss, here in the US we have dedicated insurance for short-term rentals... Regular insurance will not cover that or your house if they find you in any wrong doing...

Try to negociate with the guest a solution where both sides will loose the less... Offer him a full refund for the incovenience only if he takes that for the computer...  and doing thiis you also won't charge your "fine" your building charged your for his drunk behaviour...

But very scary situation! Good luck!notice-not-responsible-9x12-sign.jpg

Dear,

@Luis-and-Tati0, @Maria-Lurdes0 and @Clare0

Thank you very much for your support on this. At the end, my guest told me that it was only the battery with a $275 cost so no major refund needed. Luis, that was exactly the note I had in mind to add for future guests, thanks!

Now, I need to deal with the building administration that is very pissed off and will keep an eye on our place from now on. I can't really believe how people can't behave!

Hope you all have a great evening.

César

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maria-Lurdes0 @César2 @Clare0   Yeah Milu, I am with you. I would want to see a computer professional repairers report before I, for a second, considered any form of compensation.....Why are people like this! We take them into our homes. We try to give them the best that we can offer, and they turn around, pee in your garden, and shaft you!!!!

On the insurance side of things @César2 you should consider that this all encompassing insurance protection cover that Airbnb offers does not, in reality, exist. Its terms, defenitions and conditions have been so cleverly crafted that there is vitually nothing which will be covered.....It's a marketing tool, forget it!!

In this country we have an insurance company called 'Sharecover' which insures specifically for the Airbnb or Stayz platforms.

Most insurance companies will not cover properties that are subject to some form of co-share rental agreement. In fact some companies will even cancel general household policies if they find out there is a rental agreement taking place.

Share cover does not replace an existing household insurance agreement, it works with it, and only covers the 'incidents' that a guest is likely to cause. It covers fire, damage, both malitious and accidental and theft but does not cover flood, earthquake, tornado or other acts of God.

Coverage for $400,000 building, $40,000 contents cover and $10 million liability cover costs just $3.50 per day, and you only purchase cover for the time that guests are in the residence. You nominate and pay online for a defined period and are given a PDF of the policy document immediately. I cannot believe that Australia is the only country to offer such protection so I would suggest you do as I did and get onto the Insurance Council in you country and ask them to recommend a company operating in this field.

@César2....I hope you can get out of this situation equitably and in future try to protect yourself from these sort of individuals who will not think twice before attempting to bring all your hard work in life undone. Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

Hi Robin!

Thank you very much for this information. I will look for insurance options like the one you mentioned. It is indeed sad to deal with people like this, I am currently implementing new measures to avoid this problems in the future.

Best

Cesar

Fraud.

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

I would not offer any compensation until there is a logical scenario given how the Mac could possibly drown.