Do I still have to pay fees on a monthly Airbnb rental?

Do I still have to pay fees on a monthly Airbnb rental?

Hi, 

Im looking to rent an Air bnb room monthly (6 months to a year or maybe even longer) but my question is, do I have to keep paying the monthly fees every month? It’s $200 in extra fees on top of the monthly rent price every month. That’s $2,400 in fees every year. If I’m staying there long term. Is there a way I can get out of the fees? I’m not sure if there is a away or if someone else has ran into this same situation and what they did.  I would offer to clean the house, my room, bath room and wash my own bedding, take care of their dog if they go out of town so they don’t have to put him in a kennel, etc. 

5 Replies 5
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Staci124 

This is a delicate issue and I may be entirely mistaken in my analysis, so I hope that others will give their opinions.

Airbnb provides a valuable service and is entitled to a reasonable fee paid for by people who receive the services.

On the other hand, hosts are free to list their properties on other platforms, advertise privately, and reserve dates for personal use.

I am inclined to suggest that you book for one month, pay Airbnb a reasonable fee, then if you decide you want to stay longer you can negotiate an extension with the host.

You should contact the host and ask if something like this would be acceptable.

The risk is, of course, that the host might accept other bookings and then would not be able allow an extension. The host could block future dates for you but then the host would be risking income if you change your mind.

Actually $200 per month is not an outrageous fee and you might be paying that much to a real estate agent or property manager if you rented an ordinary apartment.

I just extended a stay for an excellent guest yesterday through Airbnb and I gave him a 50% discount. The additional fees were small and we were both satisfied. That would be another option.

Just one note of caution: Airbnb takes a dim view of people who use their platform and then make a private deal to avoid all fees. If they catch people doing this they will cancel the accounts of everyone involved.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Staci124, @Brian2036 

There are lots of threads on the CC about long term rentals on Airbnb.  I recommend you "search the community".  See bubble above to get a feel for the trials and tribulations of LTR on Airbnb.  Best wishes.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Staci124 

I think using Airbnb to stay for such a long time period (6 months to a year) is not a good idea. 

Ask for a rental contract. I offer Airbnb stays upto 10 weeks, after that other options are available.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Staci124 "I would offer to clean the house, my room, bath room and wash my own bedding, take care of their dog if they go out of town so they don’t have to put him in a kennel, etc. "

You don't understand Airbnb fees. The service fee charged has nothing to do with the host. That is Airbnb's fee for booking through their platform. Hosts do not set those fees nor do they go to the hosts- they go to Airbnb.

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Hello clueless one! If you Rent from a property management company the price you pay for the Rent is always 10% added on=because the Owner pays the property management company 10% for every month you are renting. Add to that the property management companies most always have minimum rental lease agreements for 12 months, plus application fees, plus key fees, plus what ever! So you think you can slide into an Airbnb listing and just get a free ride for nothing>??? OK, got that memo.

Susan