Do I, the host, have to pay for my guests wifi upgrades?

Answered!

Do I, the host, have to pay for my guests wifi upgrades?

Hi, I have a potential booking, the potential guest wanted a wifi upgrade so I agreed but they say that I, the host, has to pay for the upgrade, not them, the potential guests.  Is that correct?   If so where can I find this info on Airbnb, thanks.

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Chantal0 If better wifi was a condition of them booking then yes you do have to pay for it. It won't appear in Airbnb's info as it is really just common sense.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Chantal0 If better wifi was a condition of them booking then yes you do have to pay for it. It won't appear in Airbnb's info as it is really just common sense.

@Mike-And-Jane0   My understanding was that it's a potential  booking, not a confirmed one. If this is correct, no conditions have been agreed to yet. It's astounding what some people try to pull when they catch a whiff of fresh blood.

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful.

@Mike-And-Chantal0   No, it is not correct.

What you most likely have here is a high-maintenance guest looking to take advantage of the fact that you're a new host. We all know the type. If you accept the booking, they'll start demanding more and more unadvertised features after check-in, at your own expense, and if you don't yield, they use spurious complaints in pursuit of a deeply discounted or even free stay. The cherry on top will be a whiny review that makes it hard to attract further bookings.

A sensible guest would choose a listing that suits their needs in its present state, not demand upgrades before they've even shown up. This request should go directly into the garbage.

Your listing offers Wi-Fi with continuous access throughout the building, so as long is this is accurate, it's all you're obliged to provide. If guests ask, you may disclose the connection speed as a reference point, or mention how often your area experiences service interruptions (if any). Guests with concerns about limitations may, of course, supply their own mobile hotspots. 

It's rare for a home to be fully formed on its first booking, so you will probably find yourself making some upgrades based on guest feedback. But I only recommend doing this when you're confident that they are worthwhile long-term investments, and never on command.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Mike-And-Chantal0   It's up to you, but I would try to get these people to cancel.  Demanding that the host upgrade the wifi, which will be an ongoing expense, in order to book is a sign of a high maintenance guest who won't be happy.  However, if you  have decided to upgrade the wifi going forward, then you should pay for it yourself. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mike-And-Chantal0  The prospective guest is telling you that you have to  pay for a wifi upgrade because he wants one?

Major red flag- decline.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Mike-And-Chantal0 

Get as far away from this booking as you can.