Do NOT trust the promise of a $576 host referral fee!

Cody194
Level 2
Oklahoma City, OK

Do NOT trust the promise of a $576 host referral fee!

I spent over a month trying to convince, prove, justify to Airbnb that I qualified for the host referral bonus. The support staff gave me the complete run around and claimed they didn't see my referral on their end. (I provided proof by showing videos and screenshots of my text thread which showed the referral link being sent to my friend who then created a successful listing using the link I provided.) Airbnb admitted there were no issues with either my account or the account of the host I recommended, but because they [apparently] didn't see an error show up on THEIR end, they dropped my case without resolving it or paying the money they promised. Airbnb will do whatever it takes to get out of paying this referral bonus. And don't be fooled into thinking that, because they claim to appreciate you as a super host, you will get any added attention or consideration in situations like this. It's not worth referring any new hosts to Airbnb. You'll end up feeling used and frustrated.

19 Replies 19
Jay1724
Level 1
Oklahoma City, OK

Airbnb support is terrible! They love taking your money but don't provide any support in return. Anyone know how to sue? 

Lauren3071
Level 2
Tulsa, OK

I’m having the same issue, except they can literally see where it says my payout for referring a new host has been released but they can’t figure out why I haven’t gotten the money. I’m about to take legal action but don’t even know who to contact on the AirBnb side

@Lauren3071 , 

I feel your pain! I’m considering legal action as well. It’s just wrong. I offered so much proof, but last week they took the liberty of closing my case because “nothing more could be done because they couldn’t see an error on their end.” I’m infuriated. Please keep me updated and let me know if I can help if you take legal action.

Lauren

did you ever take legal action? Air and b are still running this scam and duping super hosts into gaining new business for them at no cost to them. Quite clever really! I guess the complaints must be taking up a significant amount of their time though. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Mari35870 

This post is from 2021 so you might not get a reply.

Can you give us some more detail about any current issues you're having with the host referral scheme?

Thanks!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mari35870
Level 2
Hilton, United Kingdom

I didn’t really expect to get a reply and there are many more recent threads on exactly the same issue I could have commented on (ie the completely blatant dishonesty of Airbnb using the carrot of payments to current hosts to recruit new hosts that they have clearly no intention of paying out on. You only need to put ‘referral scam’ into the search box in the community chat to see how many people have fallen prey to this scam.
I could bore you with all the details of my ongoing grievance but it would be lengthy.  Incidentally the referral bonus is no longer my motivation in exposing this - I feel the friendly, easy going, collaborative image that Airbnb presents is in stark contrast to the hard nosed, disingenuous and frankly contemptuous business practices with which they seem to treat the community through which they have built a multi billion business. 

I would have liked to believe that their failure to pay out a bonus in my case was a one off but clearly the evidence to the contrary is there for all to see in the chat room.

@Jenny  if you are genuinely interested in taking this further then contact me. I feel it is an interesting story - another angle on Airbnb which would of interest to a wider public. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Mari35870 

I don't have the ability to provide any specific assistance other than elevating your concerns to the right team, so I've gone ahead and passed them your comments here, with a request to investigate and reach out to you to discuss your concerns.

Someone will be in touch once they've reviewed everything, and hopefully help with your ongoing situation.

I hope they're able to give you a resolution to your concerns.

Jenny

-----

Mari35870
Level 2
Hilton, United Kingdom

Well thank you for passing it on. I will wait with interest to see what transpires. I’m not holding my breath……! 

I had the same issue she is talking about but with $700!!!! TWICE!!!!! I quit referring people. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Rochelle115 👋

Just wanted to let you know that I've popped you a direct message with some more information. 

Rebecca 🌟

-----

Jen89
Level 5
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I had asimilar situation just before Covid raised its ugly head.  I referred a friend. she joined using my link, booked a stay (and a few more thereafter) but my link, which has now disappeared, told me that they were still waiting for her to join!!!

You couldn't make it up!

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Here, the offer for host referral is 85€ (maybe... if the referral is successful, no explanation of what "success" is). 

I've never bothered. 

Airbnb invited me to become an Airbnb  "ambassador". The role was supposedly to help other hosts in my region to become more successful. But in practice, it was a sales job. Constantly pressured to sign up x-number of new hosts by x-date or be removed from the ambassador programme. They didn't need to remove me. I quit. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Cody194  @Lauren3071  @Jen89 

Thanks for your feedback on this - I contacted our CS department who say they don't have a ticket open about this so have advised that you get in touch so they can get to work.

Thanks

-----

Jen89
Level 5
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Thankyou @Stephanie , appreciate your help!

Happy Holidays to you and your family.