Do Your 18-29 y/o guests seem to have expectation bar set too high, harder to please?

Tom722
Level 2
Anaheim, CA

Do Your 18-29 y/o guests seem to have expectation bar set too high, harder to please?

The 18 to 29-year-old guests who’ve stayed in my Airbnb the past five years act entitled, are much more critical (but smile and say all is good when here), and for some reason feel 4 stars is a Stellar review, as my last guest explained when i asked why 4 and not 5?

After five years with this track record in this age demographic I thought I’d ask the Community and see if any others dread bookings from this age demo?

My city has restrictions on short term stays so 30 nights is the minimum. 

10 or 11 reviews are likely the max you would  expect each year.

Also 30 days is much easier to find fault with something in one’s home as opposed to a one or two night stay based on the sheer amount of time you will be spending in the home.

I had been at 4.8 stars and just on the threshold for super host status after my last guest checked out, yes the millennial, and left the infamous four star review I now no longer qualify as super host.

This guest assured me he would be leaving a stellar review when he was in my home when I messaged with him and I asked why only four stars and how that is considered stellar I didn’t hear about the small problem he had during his state that he never brought up to me. I can’t fix what I don’t know is broke! 

2 Replies 2
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Tom722  I have listings only hosting for 30 days or more. The guests are mainly interns or fresh college graduates. They are at the age group 18-29.

I have not had the same issue as you encountered. Could it be educational level related? The youngsters I hosted are all reasonable and considerate even though a few of them are a little messy.

I have a question for you though. Are all Airbnb properties restricted for 30 days or more STR in Anaheim? When was this started? In May I tried to book on Airbnb for a five days stay near Disneyland, I was able to find a few listings.

Tom722
Level 2
Anaheim, CA

Anaheim has restriction on min stay at 28 days last i’d heard. their website mentioned something about str rules changing again, that was earlier in 2020, there was upcoming vote to relax that mandate for shared home stays; what i call owner occupied landlord.  

the mandate was not even about owner shared listings anyway, the problem properties were non owner occ homes near disneyland that rented to multiple spring break guests who kept neighbors awake and trashed the street.