Do fake guests/bookings exist?

Do fake guests/bookings exist?

hello all,

We recently put our home onAirbnb and within a few days received a booking for 5 days, great I hear you say... However, I was concerned when I noticed the guest had only just joined Airbnb this month and hence had no reviews or prior bookings.

Fortunately I was able to cancel the booking without incurring any penalty but I feel I have let the guest down (I cancelled the same day).

Is there any Airbnb scams going around whereby a guest can avoid paying for a booking?

35 Replies 35

@Gary782   You don't currently have an active listing, but assuming that your story is true...have a little perspective. You have no reviews or profile text, not even a photo, but you'll turn down a guest for also being a newcomer?

Yes, there are fraudulent users and scammers, both as hosts and guests, and an experienced user would be very reluctant to take a chance on the likes of you, who seem to have attempted to list a property with an all-but-nonexistent profile, then cancelled on the one person who took a chance on you.

If you really want to host, why don't you do your research on the risks, policies, and standards and wait until you actually know what you're doing next time. It's a crowded marketplace now, no place for an amateur.

"My story.." really?

I have disabled my listing until I know more about fraudulent bookings.

I don't really appreciate your response. Please save your negativity for someone else.

"Its a crowded market place now, no place for an amateur..."  - You pathetic individual, not sure who is worse you or the people who also liked your response.

@Gary782    Not sure what you wanted to hear, but I think Andrew made some valid points.   You don't have a profile pic, nor anything written about yourself on your profile.  Transparency has to go both ways. 

Hi Ann, did you bother to read the rest of the posts..?  When I joined this community it used a profile from Google or Facebook.  It is not the profile my property is listed under.

@Gary782   I just hope you treat your guests better than the other hosts here on the forum.  You ask a question and then proceed to tear into everyone whose response doesn't suit you.  Best of luck you--you'll need it.

Hi Ann, I just hope that the "so called" super hosts and experienced Airbnb'ers treat guests better than those new to the platform asking a question.

You will notice that the people I "teared apart" didn't in fact answer the question but instead critiqued my profile.

I won't need any luck or any of your bad attitude. Thanks

@Gary782  You are coming across as extremely rude and confrontational.  So again-best of luck.  You will DEFINITELY need it.   😛

No Ann what I really need is less of your negativity and rudeness.  I would appreciate it if you ignore my posts in future.

@Gary782 How were we supposed to know that? We only have the information that is presented to us. Your profile presented itself as a faceless, listing-less host with no reviews, who joined in 2018 and gives no information about yourself. Sorry, you didn't use your true profile and sorry hosts here got the impression that you were a scam/fake. Honest mistake.

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

I agree with @Anonymous 100%. Your profile is the one that seems weird. There are no properties listed and you don't even have a verified ID. 

Please read my response to Andrew.  Are all Airbnb hosts full of self importance?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/42476772?s=51

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's rather ironic that a new host with no profile photos and no reviews would turn down bookings from guests who are new to Airbnb because they have no reviews @Gary782 

If people did that to you @Gary782  you would have no bookings and therefore no business 🙂

Yes, very ironic...  You are referring to my community profile which is not used for my listing.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/42476772?s=51

Thanks for your negativity and completely unhelpful response.

Amazing how helpful people are on here...

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Gary782 This is your profile.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 8.08.55 AM.png