Do hosts have the right to enter a guests room without permission?

Sara292
Level 1
Lethbridge, Canada

Do hosts have the right to enter a guests room without permission?

I have a guest who leaves lights on or the fireplace on when leaving, it is in our house rule to turn these items off before leaving the home. Do I have a right to go in and turn them off?

159 Replies 159

Wait a minute you were in the room they rented moving their possessions inside a closet? Do I understand that correctly?

As a guest I would be very uncomfortable knowing a host went into my space without notice/permission. My landlord seems to have the same thoughts as you. He thinks that since he owns the aprtment and I only rent, he doesn't have to let me know when he needs inside. There is a certain expectation of privacy as a renter, short term or long term, and it shouldn't be violated. 

OMG!!!! This is EXACTLY what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. And just today I was on the phone with the agent who was "investigating" the complaint/issue. Apparently, I don't have a right to go into the room. I told her "I'm not renting an apartment/house ... this is a room in my own home and I'm not leaving my house to go to work, run errands, etc. without making sure lights, fan is off and most importantly the guest didn't leave a laptop/table or another device charging on the bed or left the iron or curling iron on ... because this is a fire hazard and a big concern for me. I have pets and I don't want them dying in a fire as a result of a guest who is negligent..

I believe the guest/lady who made the complaint is vindictive and did this out of retaliation because I left her a negative revue. I just hope and pray that other hosts are as forthright as I am when leaving a review because otherwise what's the point of doing them if no tells the truth.

Thank you guys for sharing ... I'm glad to know I'm not the only one going through this. 

Seeing the behavior of this 'guests'' kids i entered...my supahost of almost three years house that belonged to my mum n dad...

Anita’s group refused to pay for the damages her group did AND electric charges which are clearly visible on airbnb’s website

House manual

Hot water is managed by a switch outside the bathroom. While there is NO CHARGE FOR WATER AND GAS, ELECTRICITY IS AN ADDITIONAL FEE CALCULATED AT THE END OF THE STAY. Guests will be given electricity readings before and after their stay. This is paid BEFORE the guests leave.

These electric charges alone came to 200 euros. The heating was on most of the day and the washing machine was used almost every day and sometimes twice a day.

I offered to present them with an invoice to pay it before they left but they insisted on returning to Georgia and doing it through airbnb.

I showed Anita’s group the airbnb website where it clearly stated they had to pay a separate charge BEFORE they left. Looking for an excuse NOT to pay  they then claimed to have lost a mobile phone and brought the police to investigate and search the premises. After an investigation and search, Anita’s group decided NOT to pursue the matter. ‘You’’ll pay heavily for this.’ said Vladimir

The phone was found the next day. The police, airbnb and the guests were notified.

But they left not paying over 400 euros in damages and unpaid electric charges. On inspection as they were leaving i noticed that they had taken with them three air-conditioning remote controls and five remote controls for the wifi, the tv, the satellite network, the DVD and the sound bar, rendering them all useless. They locked two outdoor keys and took those keys with them, keys that were there when the police were present and those doors need completely new locks. By the time I’d noticed these later things they were driving off.  

Anita’s group included three of her kids and the nanny’s child. The kids stamped on, then threw oranges, lemons, and a pomegranate into the busy street and over the neighbor’s wall along with balls provided by the host; the kids used lemon, grapefruit and fig trees to practice their dart-throwing, and played noughts and crosses all over the broad cactus leaves, darts and dartboard having been provided by the host; left a front garden hose running till the water ran down the street; broke one and beat another elegant hanging wind chime with a broomstick as if it were a piñata; prized parts off the kettle and a blender; damaged a footrest, a table cover, ruined a cushion and the suspension on one of the living room armchairs and one under the sofa; managed to throw a large plastic tub, big enough to wash a baby in, over a high wall; damaged or lost 6 hand-made toys that had sentimental value along with a large Indian statue. Toys and garden furniture were strewn around the wet garden along with household trash including bottles and plastic even though recycling bags were clearly provided. FIVE DOOR keys disappeared and a bedside cupboard was broken. All this happened in spite of the presence of a nanny. None of these incidents were reported to the host.

Anita’s complaint that ‘The washing machine [was] broken,’ which it wasn’t, just temperamental, didn’t hamper them from using it as often as twice a day during their three week stay. The guests contacted me in Greece through Whattsapp, I had told them before they booked that I’d be absent for the first eight days of their three week stay, to tell me the ‘gas stove won’t turn on.’ By the time I had responded that they should simply hold the gas button in for a moment or two, a safety feature, they had worked it out. When I returned, the husband, Vladimir, an engineer, told me it had taken them just ten minutes.

I am not usually absent when guests arrive to point out how the tv, washing machine, air conditioning, cooker etc work, knowing that these devices work differently from house to house and country to country. Nevertheless, I leave a laminated list of ‘useful information’ that covers a lot. What is required in these circumstances is a little patience and common sense. It’s not rocket science.

I had provided them with the number of an odd job man, a qualified plumber and electrician, and asked them to use his phone number, not his Whattsapp details. I phoned him from Greece and when he visited he found they had gone out. He left written ‘instructions’ I’d already given them as to how to operate the washing machine, for which I’d left a full bag of washing powder.

In my experience, Anita’s group showed little respect for the contents of either house or garden. For seven guests at just over 5 euros each, one might expect a little more. 

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

@Sara292,

Lights left on are not an emergency.

A burning fire is.

So are open windows when it's raining and you have hardwood floors.

Text them via ABB, tell them you want to go in and turn off the fireplace, and let them respond.

How do you know the fireplace is left on?

@Wendy-and-Frank0 "How do you know if a fireplace is left on"...

Very true. How do you know if a windows is open, or if a fireplace is burning, or stove left on unless you regularly CHECK it?

@Ken28,

My windows open OUT (crank windows) so by walking around the property, I know if a window is left open.

The fireplace is in my living room which I have full access to.

My stove is in my kitchen.  No beds in there.

But by your own words, you're not checking for open windows, fires, or wood ashes.  You're checking for messes.  Not cool.

Open windows on a hardwood floor leads to expensive floor replacement.

Fire burning in a fireplace leads to potential of burning the house down.

Towels left on wood surfaces damage the floor, the door, the wall or whatever other surface it's left on.

Food left out attract ants/roaches and the resulting infestation would result in a negative experience.

(And ALL those things are in the rules.)

And this is different... how?

Hosting is not for you, @Ken28.

You'll die of a heart attack worrying about it all.

Here we go again... everybody has an opinion, and yet no one has any FACTUAL evidence, which is what I'm asking for.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ken28 and @Wendy-and-Frank0,

Here in the CC, everyone is entited to share their own opinions, this is the way we can learn from each other, it is likely that we won't agree with everything each other says as different things work for different people. Lets keep it respectful, we are having a good discussion here. 🙂 

To add my personal thoughts on this, I think it is good to put yourself in the guest's mind-frame and think would you be happy for someone to enter the room. If I am staying for quite a few days or a week or more, it is likely that I would want the sheets to be changed or the bin (trash) emptying - so this is perfectly reasonable. However, I want to relax when I'm on holiday. So, I think it is all about communication and I know many hosts discuss with their guests before the stay or upon arrival that they would like to enter the room at specific times to do this, this way you can make sure the guest is happy and can perhaps arrange to be out during that time.  

Perhaps other hosts have some suggestions on how they handle this in their listing?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie,

I'm always getting in trouble with you.  It's like being called into the principal's office.  🙂

I'll be quiet now.  For a little while, at least.

@Wendy-and-Frank0

I wouldn't worry about it - Lizzie gets confused as to her role in here - moderator or contributor. Neither seem to work together very well.

And @Ken28 is just angry that he can't get Airbnb to grant him permission to be a snoop. One day one of his guests will call the police and report a theft (real or not real) and he won't have a leg to stand on because he insists on going into a room that has been booked by a guest. Oh, and btw Ken - this is a community forum - which therefore means it will be full of 'opinions'. Call Airbnb directly if you want 'facts' and 'rulings'. Or become your own boss, set up your own rental website and make your own rules for your bookings.

@Annette33 - here is another post that will get 'altered', I mean 'moderated', very fast......... oh well.

Best Wishes.

@Rachael26 , @Wendy-and-Frank0, yeah, we just need to sugarcoat our opinions so that Ken won't possibly get offended. well, uhhh.... he left us...made a dramatic post about Boycott Airbnb and has "resigned" and the dreaded ooops comes up when you click on his Airbnb profile. see what we did? 😉

but lets not give up hope, he might just come back in another reincarnation, with a new listing, "clean" slate but I'm pretty sure Ken will always be Ken......

Factual evidence of what??

@Ken28