Do hosts have the right to enter a guests room without permission?

Sara292
Level 1
Lethbridge, Canada

Do hosts have the right to enter a guests room without permission?

I have a guest who leaves lights on or the fireplace on when leaving, it is in our house rule to turn these items off before leaving the home. Do I have a right to go in and turn them off?

159 Replies 159

His room is a secure place. Airbnb rooms are secure. That why it is a big deal when they are entered.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

You own the place.

You have all possible rights there.

Guests are guests (sometimes uncareful ones, meaning that you'll have to follow them everywhere in your house to do some damage control)

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're not serious...

@Zeke0 Agree with Zeke here. With payment for a space comes an expectation of privacy. Hotel owners own the space too but there are rules for their admission to your room without permission. I personally use technology to avoid this boundary, but you should at minimum speak with your guests at check in and as needed about the energy use. 

@Jess21 Well said, going through these forums really gets under my skin sometimes. The entitlement that some hosts have seriously leaves me wondering how they're still hosting. They often overlook the fact that the guests are paying customers and have rights and privileges.

Zeke, it is hardly "entitlement" to enter the guest space to turn off things that the guest has been asked to turn off, but consistently ignores. A guest could burn the house down by leaving the fireplace on when the room is vacant if they have left a towel or item f clothing close to it to dry. It is entitlement for a guest to think it okay to burn up utilities for no reason and disrespectful to not heed a reasonable request. The host is not entering in order to rifle through the guest's belongings or spy on their habits. You are way off the mark.

People enter the room when I am gone at a hotel to tidy up? How is this any different? 

The difference that you EXPECT housekeeping at a hotel. Unless there is a scheduled "housekeeping" time at an airbnb or an agreed upon schedule for entry they should NOT be coming and going without notice.

I have no expectation of privacy in a better hotel. Maid service, routine upkeep, room service. 

An agreement needs to be made between host and guest before taking accommodation. I leave rooms alone except in an emergency or prior notice. Some people are so clued out they don't even know we have duplicates or master keys. 

An Airbnb is NOT the place for Medeco type keys. If they are lost, you are lost. 

The law in most States is that landlord give a 24 hour notice and you are nothing more than a landlord. If you can't afford the expense of hosting you should get out of the business. If you can't respect your guest privacy by contacting them before entering, you should be turned into AirBNB for predator behavior.

@Bess10  No, an Airbnb host is not a landlord. That said, hosts shouldn't enter the guest's private space unless there's an emergency situation, otherwise should give notice, but no, it doesn't have to be 24 hours. And guests should be respectful and mindful to turn off lights and turn down heat and AC when they go out. Hosts base their pricing on average, reasonable utility use. That's the expense of hosting, not absorbing the cost of a guest who racks up as much in utilities as they paid for the room.

Bess, you need a mental marguerita. 

I cannot speak for every law in the world, never mind the US.

What I do know is that here in Canada the laws state 24 hours notice, but if the tenant consents, it's possible to enter with their okay, hypothetically immediately. You just ask. 

If there is an emergency, such as a fire, endangerment of a person or pet, or possible property damage, such as an open window in a storm, you can in,fact enter. But it takes minutes to text or call.

Just a landlord? I am the owner of the building, and the manager of 5 units. I am responsible at all times for the safety and comfort of everyone. I speak 2 languages and am a First Responder. And I am an expert at unclogging toilets. Bite your 🙂

24 hour notice in most states only applies to long term rentals.  Short term rentals are treated as hotel/motel stays and do not require prior notice.  Have you ever stayed in a hotel where the manager called and asked if the maid could enter your room?

Yes but the communication is in the form of a "do not disturb" sign. Hotels absolutely do respect privacy and Airbnb is a hotel. 

AirBnB is not a hotel - it is a company that provides you with an option to book a place which might be a full house or a space in a shared home. What AirBnB offers is very different to a hotel and is no way a hotel.