Do you allow your guests to bring guests/visitors to your house?

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Do you allow your guests to bring guests/visitors to your house?

A question many newer hosts in particular have when they start hosting, is whether they should allow guests to have visitors come over.  What are your thoughts on this? What are some of the reasons you allow guests to bring their guests over, if you do, and if you don't, what are your reasons for that?  If you do allow guests to have visitors, do you tell them how many they can have in total, or at once, or how often their visitors can come over, or for how long? Are there any other rules/limits you have on guests' visitors?   Do you allow them to have overnight visitors?  

52 Replies 52
Evelyn0
Level 10
Arkport, NY

I allow guests to bring guests to their space during the day. My guests are usually visiting family and I have an amazing backyard which they share with their family. They have had brunch and gatherings, creating everlasting memories for them.  I'm not that flexible about overnight guests. Because one of my listings shares with me I like to know whom I'm bumping into on my way to the bathroom. It's in my house rules no overnight guests without my clearance. 

If a grandchild is staying I'm fine, but don't bring a stranger you just met at a bar. Which happened with one female guest.

Hey Evelyn and Deborah, what is your email address so that we can be in contact about non-airbnb related things ?  Mine is **** (test obviously)

oohhhh nice email addresses between hosts are not redacted.   Finally!

it's redacted for me..  so it might be a delay or a feature they enabled after your post

Deborah0
Level 10

Interesting test, Maria!  

I don't know if this nice little feature will make it outside of "Beta" time, but I also realize -- I wouldn't want to put my email address on here because :

(1) These posts can only be edited or deleted (without assistance from Airbnb) for a short time after posting, I think something like 30 minutes.  AFter that whatever you have said has become immortalized! WHo knows, it could be on here for a hundred years.  

(2) From what I understand, these host groups will be a lot easier to find for all Airbnb users.  And who knows, maybe they will be Google Searchable?  I have to ask Marjo that. For that reason, exposure is more of an issue.  

(3) In the old groups, old stuff got buried, YOu could count on threads being pretty much inaccessible a few days later on the largest groups.  So if you shared something you had regretted, never mind, it's gone anyway.  Here, someone could easily dig it up again, searching on a topic or title.  

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Maria-Lurdes0 and all, I've explained this in another thread too today. Please keep the guidelines in mind as Deborah mentioned this is indeed going to be a public community that everyone can search via online search engines, so a bit different from the old platform! For your own safety please consider not posting any personal info such as email addresses or phone numbers for everyone to see. If that happens though, we can help.

If you do notice someone do this, feel free to help out and click on the report function on that post, so the community team staff can hide the personal info and contact the member, explaining why and educating on the importance.

Oh also, wanted to mention that you are more than welcome to start non-Airbnb related topics in the Living Room area (host off-topic) or Cafe (guest off-topic board). 🙂

-------------------------

New to the Community Center? Check Getting Started for guidelines and info.

Where on this site are moderators identified as such. Lizzie responds like she is a host.

deborah, level 10 in California posts amazing responses but how do I view her listing???

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Karen8,

Thanks for posting this message, I am sure @Deborah0 will be really pleased to hear your kind words. To link through to the hosts Airbnb profile you would normally do this by clicking on their avatar icon (the little circular profile image) next to each post within the Community Center. Unfortuantely, we are aware of a bug with this at the moment, however some community members have been reporting this functionality is working if you are using Firefox browser. This said, our dev team are hoping to get this fixed soon. Thank you. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Deborah0
Level 10

Thanks Lizzie!
Hi @Karen8

I am not having trouble clicking on the avatars and getting to hosts' profiles, but apparently many others are not able to do that.  I click on avatar and get a little dropdown box, that says "view profile" at bottom, and then that takes me there,from whence I can go to folks' listings.  

For the time being, if you want to see my house rules and can't get to my profile through here, you can go to the New Hosts Forum group on the old AIrbnb groups (which will only be open through February 2016) and click on my photo there where it appears at the top of the page , the second person under "members" ,  since i am one of the two moderators of that group.  See here:

https://www.airbnb.com/groups/41

Note I have pretty long house rules, as I have found it important to cover things that come up with at least moderate frequency, but other hosts advise against having long house rules lists as they feel this can be offputting to guests.  Both these perspectives are valid, but I always wonder what do the hosts with shortish house rules do when a problem arises that wasnt' covered in their rules.   WHen a host asks, "what is the most important house rule?"  I have at times responded, "it's the one you have left out."  Which reflects my valuing of being comprehensive.  

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I have the same approach as you Evelyn.  I find guests are always courteous enough to ask and I always say yes.  My main challenge is enforcing the "no shoes" rule in the bedroom.  I try not to get worked up over it.

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

OMG, our reply is lost! In short: "Visitors with prior approval only" as stated on our house rules. Would be very uncomfortable to have strangers in our shared apartment. Overnights guests must be registered and paid through Airbnb.

My house roules - for a guest room - are pretty clear now, and no longer open for any interpretation: NO visitors. I'll save you the discussion I had last year with a Chinese couple, who wanted to bring their 12 (yes I counted them) family members 'to see the room'. I felt horrible but refused them entrance to the house: ' you have rented the room, which sleeps 2 and the rule is NO VISITORS. We got to the point where I gave them the option to either leave, at 10 in the evening, or accept the house rules. I suggested a nice bar, at about 200 meters distance, where they could have a drink together...which they did in the end. It was not nice, though my friends have been lauging their heads off  when I shared this story afterwards, at the moment itself, I felt like I just had gone through a battle... and sort of won; very  unhappy.  I got foul looks during the rest of their stay as well... Never been so glad to see a guest leave.

Queenie0
Level 10
United States

I allow no visitors. I ask for the names of all prior to check-in. I consider visitors to be 'strangers' in that they are unregistered. Part of the reason I take that position is that I live in the house where I rent rooms and need to have some semblance of security - overlooking the fact that I "know" the guests from 3-4 emails!