Do you allow your guests to bring guests/visitors to your house?

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Do you allow your guests to bring guests/visitors to your house?

A question many newer hosts in particular have when they start hosting, is whether they should allow guests to have visitors come over.  What are your thoughts on this? What are some of the reasons you allow guests to bring their guests over, if you do, and if you don't, what are your reasons for that?  If you do allow guests to have visitors, do you tell them how many they can have in total, or at once, or how often their visitors can come over, or for how long? Are there any other rules/limits you have on guests' visitors?   Do you allow them to have overnight visitors?  

52 Replies 52
Vladimiro0
Level 2
Ko Samui, Thailand

Generally I do. I use common sense. If its a few hours visit and maybe they want to spend the night then fine I just let them stay for free. Obviously if the stay protracts to several days then I charge them for the additional people accordingly. That said I had a very nice girl staying nearly a month once and the boyfriend surprised her with a visit and stayed a week. They were very nice and lovely so I just didnt have the heart to charge them any additional costs lol I am way soft hearted I know lol sometimes you gotta do what your heart tells you to do! Hahahaha

Absolutely not.

That is an insurance and liability nightmare. What? did you wanna open yourself up for a lawsuit?

Anyone who would let a guest who is legally and contractually allowed in your home allow a complete stranger who is NOT legally and conctractually obligated to follow house rules, etc. is not using their brain.

It is on my House Rules and Definetly no unregistered guests are allowed due to liability issue.

And any guests who  violates  our House Rules gets evicted..so far, all of our guests are corteous and

respectful.

Hi,
I allow visitors, but guests should ask first if that's ok. For me it is ok that they stay at day, usually for a few hours, chat, cook, have fun. But, because my apartment is only for 2 people they can't really stay at night and I wouldn't allow it. Why I allow it? Well, it's ok cause they only have a good time together and because I know and see that they are there. Why I don't allow it at night? Firstly, the apartment is too small to fit more people and of course for safety reasons.

I do agree with you that there is a liability issue, however that can be easitly covered in your rules and regulations.  I've been a Realtor/Property Manager for over 20 years.  All of my contracts have been vetted by a Real Estate Attorney.  The way it works is that the tenant that is paying for the bed/room is responsible for following all of the rules and regulations of the property.  In the rules and regulations you can allow for guests.  You have to make sure you place a clause that makes the tenant responsible for the actions of any guests.  Whatever the guests do, it is as if the tenant is doing it themselves making them liable.  Additionally, you should have a written set of rules on guests which you should apply equally across the board to everyone to avoid any issues with percieved discrimination.

I've had a few guests bring overnight guests.  It worked out fine. 

One actually booked the room for 2 people even though he was travelling alone.  I asked him about it, he said, he just wants to make sure the reservation has the right count in case he has a guest over.

It seemed odd, yet smart at the same time.   For those who charge an extra person fee for the 2nd person, this covers the cost.

but it is a bit odd in a shared home to have someone "bringing a trick" over for the night. 

Ultimately the guest is responsible for their guest, but you don't know this persons critera for choosing people and if someone sneaks off in the middle of the night with someting of yours it'll be inconvenient.

for these reasons, many hosts forbid any guests that aren't on the reservation. 
Others don't really care as long as it's not a party going on.

I think you just have to decide what's best for you, but for liability reasons, it's probably a good idea for the guest count to be up to date in the system.. if someone books for 1 and there are 2 people it's unclear whose responsible for them.. whereas if the guest books for 2 and there are 2 people you're likely covered for anything their guest does in that case.

Sel0
Level 2
Sandersville, GA

Because I have children and most of my guests are here on business or researching the area for a possible move, I do not allow my guests to bring visitors and I make that clear in my listing. No exceptions. If they are two guests registered in the request that's one thing.  I had a guest here for 5 weeks whose family is 5 hrs away and once I got to know him I offered for them to come here if he'd like but the wife wasn't much of a road tripping kind of gal. Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

Judalon0
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I allow only pre-named and approved guests on the property. I do not want "parties" wild or otherwise happening, I don't want locals seeing or being given my codes, and I don't want to bump into some stranger on my way to the garage. I once had a guest who had a prostitute in my guesthouse and she stole clothing... unless he wore size 7 spike heels! I had another guest who during his stay left for a weekend (told me he would be gone) and when I saw he left ALL the lights on in my Carriage House I texted him and when I got no reply I went up to turn them off and was greeted by a wet, naked woman coming out of my shower... some girl he picked up and she had no place to stay! Situations like these have made me very upfront and unmovable about 'guests' of guests. Now, if they are here to see family and they ask my permission and I feel confident about them not abusing it then yes, I have a lovely yard and welcome them to use it. 

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Our policy states no visitors without permission. We mainly don't want loud parties that would impact the neighbors. We have had a guest that let us know during our prebooking conversations that he was going to visit a friend of his from school while he was in town. She did come over to the house a couple of times, and spent the night one night. There's no difference in charge for 2 guests vs 1 guest so it was not a big deal. We had another couple, who met up with a local friend of theirs. He stopped by for a few minutes then they all went out for the day. As long as it's not disruptive, or might bother the neighbors, we don't mind if they meet someone they know. Having guests pick up random strangers and having them over might be a different issue, but so far we haven't had to deal with it.

Keith1
Level 10
SF, CA

I don't have a set policy on this.   I probably should....

I've had guests who had friends/family over to hang out for a bit or have a drink or meal.   This doesn't bother me at all.

I did have a couple different guests who booked the room for 2 people but they were just 1 person. 

I asked one of them where the other person was and they said, "oh, I always just book for 2 in case I bring someone over I don't have to change the reservation". 

This is a mixture of considerate and odd... Their intent was to perhaps pick someone up at a bar and have them back for the night.   This doesn't bother me either... except that if they bring over someone who sneaks out in the middle of the night with some of my things.   Ultimately, the guest is responsible for anyone they bring by, but I'm a little conflicted about it.

I havn't written a policy against guests and it's not been a problem yet, but I can see how there is added risk here.

Most of the guests for my carriage house are here for work at the university or to visit family. They want a whole house so they can have people stop by, and I generally have no problems with that. I just ask that they let me know if they intend to have visitors and remind them that there's an extra charge for overnight guests. In my case, despite offering a private house, people have been very respectful. They don't want to embarrass their relatives who are also my neighbors, or their sponsor at the U.

Cathy4
Level 4
Lancaster, United Kingdom

I've a guy and his two grown kids coming to stay as they're here having travelled several hours to visit our town where his 90yr old grandma lives. He asked if she could visit for a morning - not sensing a rave-up, I feel it's ok 😉 

In other words, feels completely reasonable for folk visiting to reunite with a rellie or old friend to meet up.....but no big family reunion parties thankyou, and definitely no out-for-the-night-stranger-pick-ups!!! 

Rosalie-And-Kevin0
Level 2
Hamilton, New Zealand

I do not allow guest to bring friends in to stay over night, if that happens,  they  then become  a paying guest.  I had one inquiry for accomadation and after booking was confirm he told me he would like to have approx 30 friends around for a BBQ.  (No sorry)  Having visitors for a catch up in the evening is fine. 

Carolyn2
Level 2
Lufkin, TX

Even tho it is a separate living quarters on my property, it has to be with my approval in all ways. I just need to be ask and information given. I want to know , who, how long etc. There is a security issue and respect of my proprty.

Kr0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I do not. I have clearly posted in my listing that no guests are allowed except for people who are paying to stay here. I say something along the lines of "Of course--if your mom wants to come pick you up, that's fine- but no one in the house that is not listed with airbnb. Thank you! ". If the guest asks me and we have a good relationship, I will happily bend the rules for them. Largely, this is not a problem. Have a great hosting! 🙂