Do you allow your guests to bring guests/visitors to your house?

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Do you allow your guests to bring guests/visitors to your house?

A question many newer hosts in particular have when they start hosting, is whether they should allow guests to have visitors come over.  What are your thoughts on this? What are some of the reasons you allow guests to bring their guests over, if you do, and if you don't, what are your reasons for that?  If you do allow guests to have visitors, do you tell them how many they can have in total, or at once, or how often their visitors can come over, or for how long? Are there any other rules/limits you have on guests' visitors?   Do you allow them to have overnight visitors?  

52 Replies 52
Janice140
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

How awful! Thank goodness they went. Hopefully you can name and shame them so other hosts don’t have the misfortune of hosting them! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelly378  I love your attitude! But don't be so sure you'll get paid- sounds like the kind of guest who will ask airbnb for a refund.

I learned about this from my days as a landlord.

No. Nein. Nix. Nyet. Fuggedabout it.

I host rooms in my home. The rates are very inexpensive. I allow one person per room, period. There are no visitors. no boyfriends, grandmothers, cousins twice removed. 

It's true - my insurance won't cover it. That's all I need to say. I also like my privacy, and so do my other guests. But there's more, as the other posts indicate.

"My friend wants to use the bathroom. May they have a drink, please? Gosh, they're hungry. It's awfully late - can they stay the night? He's just here for 2 nights, honestly.  Mind if I borrow some extra towels, blankets, and a mattress for him? Sorry he's hung over and running around in his underwear, but he really meant no harm.....yeah, I guess we did chat till quite late. I am so sorry we bothered the other guest and now they are leaving, but we really did try to keep it down."

Been there. Done that. Enough is enough.

Ron-And-Carol0
Level 2
Calabasas, CA

If we only lived in an ideal world!  

Visitors opens a whole new can of worms full of insurance and security risks. In a visitor you have an unknown quantity and really no way to Ferret them out.  

Homeowners insurance generally does not cover short term rentals nor does renters insurance unless specified; the insurance industry looks at short term rentals as a commercial business which requires business insurance. ABnb provides a nebulous insurance  policy which is unclear or the policy text is not easily available so we simply don’t  know the extent of the ABnB liability coverage. Given these factors there is clearly a question as to who is liable for a visitor; and if a visitor does something that causes injury to the a person or property who is responsible for the loss is another question.

One final dark factor is that a visitor may see something they like and take it which leaves another recourse question to be answered.  

It’s horrible to have to think this way but it’s the reason experienced hosts have a long list of rules. I have already encountered ABnB saying, Post a sign and put it in your house rules. What may seem obvious to you, common sense or good manners does not apply if you don’t “tell” your guests in writing. 

@Ron-And-Carol0 wrote:
If we only lived in an ideal world!  

Visitors opens a whole new can of worms full of insurance and security risks. In a visitor you have an unknown quantity and really no way to Ferret them out.  

Homeowners insurance generally does not cover short term rentals nor does renters insurance unless specified; the insurance industry looks at short term rentals as a commercial business which requires business insurance. ABnb provides a nebulous insurance  policy which is unclear; and the policy text is not easily available so we simply don’t  know the extent of the ABnB liability coverage. Given these factors there is clearly a question as to who is liable for a visitor; and if a visitor does something that causes injury to the a person or property who is responsible for the loss is another question.

One final dark factor is that a visitor may see something they like and take it which leaves another recourse question to be answered.  

It’s horrible to have to think this way but it’s the reason experienced hosts have a long list of rules. I have already encountered ABnB saying, Post a sign and put it in your house rules.

What may seem obvious to you, common sense or good manners does not apply if you don’t “tell” your guests in writing. 

Our policy is no Visitors. We only allow registered guests On property. 

Karen1496
Level 2
Medford, MA

I do not allow any visitor, except a friend or family member wants to help the guest setting up for reasonable time. To be honest, my Airbnb is not a public building or a restaurant that you can bring anyone to have a free drink or enjoy all the amenities that are set up for guest. If you want to enjoy it, please be on the booking!

Sammy35
Level 10
Pittsburgh, PA

its interesting that the majority of unauthorized guest "risk" culprits here seem to be of a certain gender.  i've had only one gender defy/ignore this rule, intentionally or not.  on 3 different occasions with 3 different booking guests, either try to bring someone back at night (despite home security at doors?????) or arrive with a "friend" that lives "in town" only to find him sneaking that "in town friend" back to sleep over unauthorized and unpaid for despite it being addressed when they arrived.

tonight is #4.  just tonight my guest told me he would be arriving with his local friend he's here to visit 15 minutes before arrival.  i simply cut and pasted the rules he already agreed to about authorized guests only, reminded him what he signed (TWICE) at booking, and said that i would see him at the door, solo and unattended.  and that he could meet up with his friend at the train stop or down the street at one of the restaurants or bars.

i really can't even comprehend how anyone could or would just assume its ok to show up with people, staying or not staying??!!!    I WOULD NEVER EVEN CONCEIVE THAT THIS WOULD BE OK

due to this i have a hard and fast rule.

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it

100% Agree! We do the same as you...one rule only and that’s NO! 

For those that say yes, picture this......you let an 'extra' in, your guest agrees to take full responsibility. Great everything is hunky dory UNTIL....the 'e tra' drowns in the pool, falls down the staircase and becomes paralysed, trips on a hose and breaks an ankle! 

So you now have someone who can’t work, has bills to pay, his/her friend can’t afford to help out. Take a guess who is going to be sued? Yes, YOU!  

So all that time you spent scrimping and saving to get your own home wasted! You just lost it to some disrespect person who shouldn’t have been there....so again, it’s a NO from me!