Do you charge for things like a broken glass, pot, lamp, stained comforter, etc. & risk a bad review

Diane15
Level 6
Spokane, WA

Do you charge for things like a broken glass, pot, lamp, stained comforter, etc. & risk a bad review

As Hosts, it's tough to sort out where to "draw the line" when it comes to making guests pay for the items they damage and then receiving a bad review.

In the past year or so, I noticed a correlation between guest doing damage to the home and then claiming the home "wasn't clean" or some other such nonsense to offset having to pay for the damage and also the "discreet" threat of receiving a bad review. And in an almost 5000, 7 bedroom home, if a guest spends enough time looking for some small cleaning issue, they'll find it...You'll be able to find small cleaning issues in any house if you look hard enough. NO home is perfectly clean. I've TRIED to get Airbnb to cooperate when a guest has sent me a discreet threat, but they said the guest has to very clearly state that they are going to write you a bad review if you don't pay them/charge them for any damage they've done.

One guest even wrote about me "receiving a negative review" in a round about way, but Air still didn't consider that a direct threat.

Your thoughts?

3 Replies 3
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

No easy answer.

Unless they do catastrophic damage I'm not sure that the value of the claim will out weigh the review and the probability that guests will deny causing damage anyway. The easiest answer is to not provide anything to guests of high value, and price in that sheets etc will get damaged over time.

Maybe get a cover for comforter, easier to clean.

Glasses, lights etc are easily replaced at ikea or goodwill 

Yeah, you're probably right @Pete0 .I'll just stick to charging for the big-ticket items, pool table, ping pong, washer/dryer, fridge, etc.

Happy Hosting!

@Diane15

I'm with @Pete28

Small breaks or minor damage can happen to anyone so I don't sweat the small stuff. I also make sure to provide detailed instructions on how to use the electronics and appliances and emphasize that instead of risking damage, if they are not sure then just please ASK for help 🙂