Do you rent a room in the house you live in? I'd love to hear some stories

Marie2
Level 1
Belen, Heredia, Costa Rica

Do you rent a room in the house you live in? I'd love to hear some stories

Hi,

I'm brand-spanking-new here, about to let a room for the first time this week! I've hosted couchsurfers many, many times and had 90% good experiences, but I'm a bit unsure about Airbnb, what with the exchange of money and higher expectations. 

Do you let out a spare room in your house? How does it work? I have a kid and a cat, both of which sleep with me (for safety and cuddles), and both of whom have been interested and friendly with couchsurfers. Are airbnb guests a very different kind of guest?

8 Replies 8
Queenie0
Level 10
United States

I am a live-in host and list 2 bedrooms in my home and love it! I personally prefer guests who stay a night or two but have had guests stay as long as a month. I believe that if you have good communication with your guests before they arrive that the stay will be fun for everyone.

I have had guests from multiple countries and in a variety of ages. Some have tested my house rules but overall, each one of them has been a great experience.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

We rent out a room in our house. So far, no bad experiences at all. Just be up front about kids, pets, etc. so guests know what to expect.

@Ed-and-Hugh0 make an excellent point about setting expectations. Between your listing description and your personal profile, you have a great opportunity to really describe what it is that a guest can expect. I had to change my listing to explain that my small dogs live Inside after having a guest who thought they wouldn't! Now I get guests who purposely choose us so that, as one guest put it, they could get their puppy love while traveling for a few weeks.  If you're open and honest about the environment you offer, those who don't like it won't even inquire and those that do like it will love it!

I rent a bed over my kitchen, not even a full room, and have a parrot inside and the neighbor's cats outside. Not even those bitten by the bird ever complained 😉
Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I was so hoping to meet you at the Open!  Anyway back to the OP - yes I rent a room in my place, and I really enjoy it.  They get the bedroom, I sleep on the living room floor.  It works well 😄

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes I rent a room vacated by my son 

I find having a single room very difficult to rent do people really like air beds or kids beds if I get one as Xtra if the need arises anyone got xperience or advice about that?

i do have a massive couch in the living room that I wouldn't mind them using but never heard couch surfers is it a Uni thing.  I could give them my room and sleep in the single room would that require a seperate listing? Thanks for info sara

Barbara9
Level 2
North Richland Hills, TX

Each room requires a separate listing because the calendars must be kept separate.

I have one room now I rent and am preparing another one. Mostly long term corporate executives and traveling nurses. Anywhere from 3-5 months.  After 2 nights they are not strangers anymore and I am less paranoid of people in my house, but I enjoy them very much.

hahahahahaha Helga!  that's hysterical. I would love your bird.