Do you think security deposits scare away some potential guests?

Patryk0
Level 2
Cleveland, OH

Do you think security deposits scare away some potential guests?

I have a really nice, well-furnished condo listed. I want to have a security deposit requirement to ensure that I am protected against damages, stolen items, etc.  I feel like a security deposit (especially a high one) would scare away some potential guests.

What is your take on this? Do you require a security deposit? 

9 Replies 9
Manu7
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

I don't think so. I have always had security deposits for my apartment and never had problems.

Pls take care of the amount you request for security deposits. I have kept mine as 1/3rd the average monthly rent.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Patryk0

First of all, guests don't have to pay the deposit with booking, it's only a claim that Airbnb lays on their card in case host files damages.

Hotels usually do something similiar.

Any guest not booking because of this is probably not the best guest you'd like let loose in your property.

Besides, if somebody broke something, trashed your property due to unclear house rules or just because they could, you wouldn't have much of a stand if there was no deposit in place. 

Julie198
Level 2
Ohio, United States

As a host, I understand your concern with potential damages, etc. As a traveler, yes a deposit scares me away because I had a nightmare hotel experience (they locked up hundreds more $ than expected for way too long, which created a major jam in our travel finances). Granted that was a hotel, but the scar's still fresh. That's just my perspective to add to the mix. 🙂
Wayne9
Level 4
Metairie, LA

I have a security desposit and I think the good outweighs the bad.  I'm not clear, however, how the Airbnb insurance policy works if you don't have a security deposit.  I'm keeping it for now but have never had to use it yet.

Wayne

C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

I do not charge a security deposit. I don't have a fancy place & don't want to scare off guests with a deposit, whether or not it's "held."
Doreen40
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

I am wondering if a 500.00 deposit is too high on my one bedroom one bath condo on siesta key Florida?

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Doreen40

Personally I would half it to $250, you might put a few guests off booking at $500.

Airbnb does not collect the security deposit, if the guest damages your place you have to request money from the guest and if they agree to pay for the damage airbnb will collect it and forward the money to your account.

If the guest say's they didn't cause the damage airbnb will mediate and if you're lucky you might get a little bit of the amount you claimed.

what-happens-if-a-host-makes-a-claim-on-my-security-deposit

Note, you have to make a claim before the next guest books in, difficult on busy same day turnovers.

Or why bother if you can't claim any of it ? 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I have a $500 security on my place it's an entire house. Someone takes for example 4 of my Wusthof steak knives I'm out approx. $250 throw in a Chef's knife and I'm at the $500's. I have all high end kitchen items in my house, so I don't think I'm out of line with the $500 security deposit. I do have commercial insurance, but still.