Does AirBnB believe the pet fee issue has been resolved?

Scott44
Level 4
Gunnison, CO

Does AirBnB believe the pet fee issue has been resolved?

Thanks for all the great information in this community. Based on info we found, it seems that going through the resolution center to request an additional fee is a better (but still poor) method of collecting a pet fee compared to what we've been doing. Currently we've been apologetically explaining to potential guests with pets that we need to decline the request and send back a special offer with the pet fee included (fee is decribed in listing). However with special offers, taxes and fees are calculated on the entire amount. 

To put real numbers to it, we charge a $65 cleaning fee and have a $50 pet fee per stay.  When we add that $50 pet fee to the "special offer" the guest winds up paying an additional $59 and we receive only $47 more dollars. So after jumping through this additional (and really unprofessional feeling) obstacle, both the guest and host lose out. The lions share of the $12 extra dollars collected goes to AirBnB. Even worse, we recently received one of those friendly warnings from AirBnB about declining too many requests: Requests that were actually accepted as "special offers" after back and forth messages with pet owners. 

The part that irks us the most is that we can see no good reason why AirBnB wouldn't just allow a simple line item for guests to add any misc. fee to their request (pet, dinner, groceries, breakfast...) other than the fact that they're profiting from it. Unfortunately, that profit comes at the cost of lost reservations for hosts (we have guests that don't follow through with the special offer after sending a booking request) and a less pleasant/professional reservation experience for guests with pets that do jump through the added hoops.

We've really enjoyed the service provided by AirBnB, but this is definitely one area we have found disappointing. Going forward we'll notify guests that we'll need to send a separate request for a pet fee, but it's problematic that a guest can't simply automatically add in the fee the way you can add in an additional (human) guest. We're huge animal lovers and we thought AirBnB was a pet-friendly company, but the current system for adding in pet fees is pretty pet-unfriendly. 

Anyone have any idea why they haven't fixed this issue or better suggestions about collecting pet fees? Thanks for any advice!

9 Replies 9
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I've been using the resolution center to collect the Pet fee since I started hosting. Even though I spell out the fee clearly in my listing, I discuss it prior to accepting a booking with with the person requesting to book with a pet. That way it's all collected before check in. The only problem I had was the last guest couldn't find the request from the resolution center and finally accessed it through the email she received 

Using the resolution center seems like a far better solution compared to making a special offer. Going forward that's definitely what we'll be doing. Just wish we had heard of it sooner, as a search of the discussion boards still seems to provide a mix of answers. 

We also do consider each pet on a case by case basis, ensuring that guests understand rules about leaving the pet unattended and have contact information for local pet daycare facilities. 

We do still wish AirBnB had an additional fee line where guests could simply add an additional fee when they make the request. We could easily imagine guests using it to request having our apartment pre-stocked with groceries or pre-arranging sports equipment rentals, in addition to pet fees. 

Ali, I have a guest saying she cannot find the request either, and now I've had to escalate the issue. I would like this settled prior to her checking in . I'm really disappointed by this process.  How did your guest finally located the request for funds?

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Can not believe they are not aware, a mystery.

David
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Scott44

I can't believe ABB doesn't have it already. 

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I'm ok with using the resolution center for the pet fee because then the pet fee is not subject to Airbnb's percentage. Good for me and good for the guest! They pay only the pet fee and I collect the entire pet fee. 

Theresa95
Level 1
High Point, NC

To collect my pet fee, I use PayPal to send out an invoice to the guest. They will need to send a different email address as it will not transmit through AirBnb. There is a small processing fee charged by PayPal, but it is really no different then it being included in the reservation.  I will follow for the payment to be received before releasing the door code for them to access the cabin. It would be great if AirBnb could figure out how to collect it on our behalf.

Pam187
Level 1
Arvada, CO

I think Airbnb SHOULD figure out how to creat a line to charge for pet fees.. this is an additional headach to both host and guest and makes for bad feelings~

Kimberly241
Level 2
Chicago, IL

There is no good reason Air bnb has not provided this feature - none.  It's ridiculous and creates totally avoidable experiences with guests and hosts.  It needs to be remedied ASAP.  If you can select, extra guest fees, and amenities such as a hairdryer, and hangars you should be able to select a pet fee!  Plain and simple.