Does Airbnb automatically pay out on cancellations covered under their extenuating circumstances policy or do we have to submit something?

Paul6423
Level 1
Fairfax, CA

Does Airbnb automatically pay out on cancellations covered under their extenuating circumstances policy or do we have to submit something?

According to Airbnb's recent extenuating circumstances policy, I'm due 25% of my cancellation policy for a guest who booked prior to March 2020 for a May 9-11 stay at my home but cancelled.  Anyone know if I have to submit something to get this money or will Airbnb automatically flag and pay this amount to me without my having to do anything?  It's not clear in their recent policy posting at https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/250m-to-support-hosts-impacted-by-cancellations-165.

5 Replies 5
Nina69
Level 5
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

I'm still waiting for my 25% from March 20 cancellation. I just had another cancellation today for a check in April 16. When I inquired Airbnb said it would be 4 weeks!!! As far as I know, no one has gotten anything. Anyone?? 

Nina69
Level 5
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

Any other host receive anything yet? Even information? 

@Nina69 @Paul6423 

When our latest guest to cancel did so yesterday we immediately received an email of cancellation of which the following is an excerpt. We did nothing re the cancellation but the guest has been asked to provide proof of a Corona Virus issue which is a bit odd. Hopefully they will get their money back as promised.

Mike And Jane,
Your guest Helen can’t travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic and they’ve cancelled their stay at your place.
Airbnb will share in the costs of COVID-19 cancellations
Even though your guest cancelled under the extenuating circumstances policy, we want to support you in these tough times with a payment from our coronavirus emergency support fund – it should arrive in your account within 4 weeks.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Paul6423

Payouts from the CV Emergency Relief Fund will reportedly be paid out at the end of each month, in a lump sum (although I did hear last week of a small number of hosts receiving the 12.5%(ish) payouts within 24hrs - it's possible they were just test payouts though)

It's imperative that everyone takes note right now of all details of every upcoming and future reservation - particularly guest contact details and booking amounts. Typically, Airbnb will zero all payout details as soon as a booking has been cancelled, so it's vital that you harvest as much information as possible now, before it's deleted, so you can refer to it later should any issues or disputes arise.

Also, keeping a tally of your cancelled booking amounts will enable you to reconcile your expected payout amounts with your actual payout amounts when you do receive your lump sum, to ensure there are no discrepancies.

For anyone who is already in the predicament of not being able to determine payout amounts for reservations that have already been cancelled and zeroed, you'll be able to find the payout info on the original reservation email you received from Airbnb.

Finally, everyone needs to get into the habit of screenshotting, recording and saving everything in relation to your dealings with Airbnb - including Airbnb Support message threads - because it could very well be your only line of defence should anomalies/disputes occur at a later date. 

Anne-Marie102
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I’m still waiting on March and April payments too. Very frustrating