Does Airbnb offer translators?

Aunt-Betty0
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

Does Airbnb offer translators?

I have a chronic issue with some guests who do not read or understand the Check-In Procedure, House Rules or Emeregency Procedures. They show up 2 hours early, dump their open luggage in the living room and head out leaving all the doors and windowswide open and unlocked. Later they seem startled to realize they are "sharing" a home with others (did they miss something when they booked?) and still break every house rule possible.  My biggest fear is they will start a fire or something and have no clue how to dial 911 or use a fire extinguisher (despite I have a large House Rules sign posted in each bedroom). I have had similar issues with some older guests and a few others who do not take the time to read ANYTHING!. Im so uneasy every time when somone books and communication after booking is zero, not a singke word. I feel like Im sitting on a time bomb waiting for a crisis to happen. I had one choinses guy who "wrote" perfect English, when he arrived he couldnt speak a single word! (I guess he used a translator to reply to me?). I was on pins and needles during his engire stay. It was so akward and scarey.

Does Airbnb offer translators who can translate this infromation into different languages? I think its critical!!!!

10 Replies 10
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Just use Google translate - make sure you keep your sentences short and don;t use any colloquial terms. 

I wouldn't suggest this. Google translate cannot be relied on to translate information correctly.

Carl-Erik0
Level 7
Oslo, Norway

You should restrict who can book to people with a x number of positive reviews, and you should also state early in your description that you need for them to be able to understand English. Alternatively, offer to supply non-native English speakers the option of translating the house rules for them, and double check that they have read them by asking directly in the communications. Early!

Chinese and Russians are not known for being the greatest tourists, as they have had a relatively short time to adapt to going from skint broke to having money and the means to travel.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Carl-Erik0 please don't generalise about guests based on their country of origin. All my Chinese guests have been amazing.

I haven't had Russian guests to date so can't comment.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Aunt-Betty0

You are a much more experienced host than me with multiple properties. But here is my two pence worth.

You are running a business, so get your house rules and guide book translated into the most common languages where you are having difficulties communicating with guests. You can claim this as a business expense.

I paid for a student to translate mine into Mandarin and Cantonese.

Don't let your guests check in early. When you are showing them around make sure they take their luggage to their rooms.

I don't accept guests who don't communicate with me as part of their booking process. It's in my house rules.

@Helen3, where do you supply guests with a translation? Do you jam them all in the same house rules box, or send it as a personal message? This is a recurring theme. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi @Aunt-Betty0 ,

Why is there no active listing in your profile ?

Best regards,Emiel

Hi Emile: I'm a little confused. I have 4 active rentals!! Maybe it was a system glitch or something? can you refresh your browser and tery again?

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Aunt-Betty0

Why do you accept these non-communicative ones ?  If they do not communicate, you could cancel on the grounds of not being comfortable with them.  

Some guests from the far east are a challenge and it sometimes takes 3 times as long to make sure they do understand. And then they say they understand when they do not, it is a cultural thing.  Funnily enough I have not had a single one this season - not since I removed the photo of the wok and the rice cooker 🙂

It is true that some are not so well travelled, need some hand holding and would be more suited to a homestay rather than an independent apartment like mine.  

How about a booking request starting as follows: Do you pick up from the station ? I am not sure how airbnb is marketed in the far east, but probably a bit too glossy, creating very high expectations.

@Carl-Erik0

Translated house rules would have to be sent separately.