Does anyone knows what happens in Ontario, Canada if a guest who have booked 28 days, decide to stay longer without our consent and not vacate the property?

Leonor484
Level 2
London, Canada

Does anyone knows what happens in Ontario, Canada if a guest who have booked 28 days, decide to stay longer without our consent and not vacate the property?

Hi there, does anyone knows what happens in Ontario, Canada if a guest who have booked 28 days, decide to stay longer without our consent and not vacate the property?

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Is this happening to you right now, @Leonor484  or are you just worried that it might? If you have time to do the research, try the Tribunals Ontario website. 

Leonor484
Level 2
London, Canada

@Lawrene0 Thanks, I am new with Air bnb,  This week I got 3 booking requests for more than 28 days, Which I  don't want. Yesterday, I got 1 "Instant Book" for 28 days and now I am just worried (Have a real bad experience with a short term last year (6 months- Not thru Air bnb). Want to make sure I am doing this correct and not have issues later.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

If you don't want these long stays, @Leonor484, go into your Availability settings and change your maximum stay to the number of nights you are comfortable with. When you are on Instant Book it is essential that you have everything -- calendar, number of nights, check-in/check-out/ preparation time, etc. -- set exactly as you want them. I don't know what to tell you about the current booking. You do have rental experience (as do I), so we know exactly the sorts of things that can go wrong. Communicate with the guest. 

Hope changing the settings at least helps going forward. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Leonor484 If you are on Instant Book you can cancel a reservation penalty free if you are uncomfortable with it. Also I echo @Lawrene0  - The sooner you adjust your booking settings the better. With their lack of deposits Airbnb are just not suited to longer term rentals

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

You need to read up on the landlord/tenant act for Ontario if that's the info you want. I think you'll find it quite favors the tenant and I know in some, if not all places in Canada, you can't evict a tenant in the winter at all. 

Airbnb is pushing long-term rentals now, yet hasn't instituted any safeguards for them to protect hosts. I would never take a month-long reservation through Airbnb. 

And as a new host, short term bookings are best until you hang of hosting on this platform, as well as it leading to getting more reviews under your belt.

@Leonor484

@Leonor484

Leonor484
Level 2
London, Canada

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have cancelled this reservation as I wasn't comfortable with it. Airbnb blocked the days that were booked and was charging me for cancellation. I requested it to be reviewed and then they Unblocked the days and waived the penalty. Definitely a learning experience. Again Thanks to all of you....