Does "Entire home/apt" mean the host doesn't sleep in the same house?

Does "Entire home/apt" mean the host doesn't sleep in the same house?

12 Replies 12
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Michael152, you posted this twice. I've answered in the New Hosting section.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Michael152 You'll want to review the descriptions of the listings types in the Help area. It's clearly described there.

Shirley1
Level 5
Somerset, WI

Traveling in Europe earlier this year, it was my experience to read through listings very carefully. I eventually gave up trying to sift through all of them. In 5 weeks I rented one AirBnb listing, just took too much effort to find non-host occupied properties. Many of the listings for entire home/apt. I found were owner occupied and renting a private space came with limitations, like:  

1. Renting the entire space where the bedroom is located which may or may not include access to the kitchen. 
  2. Private entrance was not guaranteed. Access to rental space meant passing through the living space of the owner. 
  3. Bathroom might be shared with owners or private. 

It's understandable that regulations or construction of the home dictate these exceptions in Europe. Wish there was a housing designator for hosts to indicate their property is close but "not quite an entire home/apt" rental to save time looking for a rental property, especially when in the traveler is trying to book multiple properties in more than one country. 

Of course it should mean that! I rent a studio, it is named "entire home/apt", and of course the guest is alone there. I never thought it could mean something else?

Kerri66
Level 1
Windorah, Australia

You would think so, however I just rented an entire house only to discover on checkout the owner was coming back late at night sleeping here and leaving early in the morning.  The Maccas bag in the trash gave him away.

@Kerri66  You should report this to Airbnb. It's not okay and the listing is inaccurate. Plus you are thinking you're alone in the place and then find out the owner has crept in and slept there? That's pretty creepy.

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

I have one of my listings under the "entire home/apt" that is a separate and private apartment on the first level of my home. It's the closest category that fits as it's not a room or shared scenario. In any case, every situation is unique so when in doubt, ask the host when you put in an inquiry.

I agree it's best to ask because everyone seems to have different understandings of what is a seperate and entire apartment, but most expect the host not to live on the property if it is an entire apartment. I advertise a 2nd flr private suite, w/ private bath, sitting room, however since it is a shared kitchen, and I live on the 2nd flr, I list it as a private room.

Nah, If you the host are under the same roof as the renter and it’s not an apartment building then per Air bnb it is your obligation to explain that in the description of your listing.  I don’t really understand the confusion here, when you purchased the home did it come with all the rooms?  So I would say most renters assume when it says entire place it means entire place.  If it’s not than you need to explain that.  But no it’s not the renters job to ask hey are you sneaking into the garage to sleep when I go to bed. 

@Cory159 "Entire place" on Airbnb means the guest has a private unit with its own entrance and no shared indoor spaces with the host, except perhaps a laundry facility. It doesn't mean the guest has rented an entire house unless it says that.

It could be a private studio in the home, half a duplex, perhaps the entire basement or bottom or top floor of a host's home.

What "Entire place" indicates is that you have privacy within the unit you have rented- you don't use the same outside door the host uses, or the hallway, or the inside house stairs through the host's living space. You have your own private bathroom and probably a kitchen or kitchenette. 

Beyond that, the host should make it clear what the living situation is, and the guest should ask questions before committing to a booking if they find the listing ad confusing or need clarification.

Some people don't bother to read and assume to much!

!