Does this sound right to you? Need help!

Answered!
Rita410
Level 2
Ohio, United States

Does this sound right to you? Need help!

Hello, our family has secured an Airbnb months ago in Lebanon and our stay is in less that 2 weeks. Flight arrivals and departures are typically in the late hours of the night, a commonly known fact among hosts and residents. I’ve been messaging the host to confirm our plans. He asked if we had alternate arrangements to accommodate our 4 a.m. arrival and we do not. The Airbnb reviews on his apartment state he has accommodated goofy flight schedules so we assumed we would be okay. I explained my point to him and he said he would help us, but...

” I can accommodate you I just thought maybe You will be visiting family before you check in (at 4 a.m.???)..No worries my sister will check you in .. the only thing if you do not mind because it is too early And it will be difficult to find public transportation if you do not mind pay her $20 fee so she can pay for her transportation !! If you are ok with that. Please let know and everything will be ready.”

This doesn’t sound right to me. Wouldn’t this charge be included in our fee? Am I responsible for host transportation? Again our flight arrival is nothing out of the ordinary over there. So grateful for your time and help! 🙂

1 Best Answer
Tueykay0
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

You are not responsible. He should pay the person to check you in. 

They are from a different culture too. Set your boundaries asap so they don't keep pushing you for other monies...ie. "you have to pay for towels. You have to pay for xyz"

State that 1) you are a paying guest

2) Your listing allows for this check-in time, because you know flight schedules are out of our control

3) Whoever checks us in works for you, not us.

4) We can go elsewhere if this doesn't work for you

View Best Answer in original post

38 Replies 38
Tueykay0
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

You are not responsible. He should pay the person to check you in. 

They are from a different culture too. Set your boundaries asap so they don't keep pushing you for other monies...ie. "you have to pay for towels. You have to pay for xyz"

State that 1) you are a paying guest

2) Your listing allows for this check-in time, because you know flight schedules are out of our control

3) Whoever checks us in works for you, not us.

4) We can go elsewhere if this doesn't work for you

Thank you Tueykay! My head is spinning because I don’t want to (1) be taken advantage of and (2) fear of feeling safe when we’re so far away from home. I agree about setting boundaries up front!!! Nothing in the profile aside from the standard cleaning fee asks for additional monies. See my general reply below about confusion around check-in time. :))

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I couldn't disagree with your more @Tuekay.

This guest is asking the host to let her check in a full 8 hours before the hosts check in time and at 4 a.m. in the morning.

The listing does not allow for guests to check in 8 hours ahead of schedule. It says the check in is from 12 noon. It is not the hosts fault that flights arrive in the early hours. Knowing this, the guest should have booked the listing from the night before.

The one thing you are correct is that the guest could go somewhere else if it doesn't work for them to pay a small fee to ensure the sister can travel safely to let them in to stay for free and book a hotel to cover the night of their early arrival.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

What does it say in the profile about check in. Is it 24 hours?  Or from a certain time? If it’s the latter then they are doing you a favour ? You can pay via the resolution tab otherwise.  It’s not a bad fee? 

Rita410
Level 2
Ohio, United States

Hi Ria! See my comment below...

Alfred9
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

It is normal to charge a fee for late or early check ing if this is explain in the house rules

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

How many say 4am, but oh, got delayed. 6am. You don't mind waiting for 2hrs at dawn. Sure they make an entire living out of Airbnb so don't need to,work etc...

Hi Pete, I sure hope we’re not delayed! Wasting other people’s time would stress us out!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Rita0 ,

I'd like to ask the same question that Ria has asked:

What does it say in the profile about check in?

If it says check in 3 to 6 pm, did You ask before booking if

You can check in at 4 o'clock in the night?

Maybe it's not even save to drive around in Lebanon at that time.

Rita410
Level 2
Ohio, United States

Ute, see my note to you in the message below. 🙂

Rita410
Level 2
Ohio, United States

Hi Everyone, thanks again for your thoughtful replies. :))

I reviewed every line on the profile and there is nothing regarding extra fees for early check-in and no early check-in policy. The House Rules only talks about turning off the air conditioning when we are not there.

Ute, I didn’t have my plane tickets at the time of booking so I didn’t ask the host about making arrangements about our arrival until this week. It was more important to book a place first because it is high season there.

The profile says check in is noon. His message to me states that check in time is 11:00 a.m. 

Thoughts??

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

If check in is noon or 11 am then having someone check you in at 4 am is an added service.  Also the space is yours 7 or 8 hours early.  You should pay for it.  If you are paying for staying the night before you check in and arriving very early in the morning  on your first night then that is a bit more reasonable but a worker still needs to be there meeting you and letting you in.  I think $20 is a very small price to pay for someone to be up and available at 4 am.  And at that hour a woman in particular may need to take safe transportation that cost more than a bus.

Thank you for your reply - I completely agree with you about safe transportation and the low charge. My hesitation: I worry that if I pay this fee the host will think it’s ok to charge more fees. 

I didn't realize that the host specified a check-in time. If I had known that, then yes a guest checking in hours earlier should pay something extra for having more time in the home.

As for the host asking for more monies, these are some suggestions:

1) paypal him directly

2) ask him to make a request via Airbnb for the $20

3) ask for a receipt to ensure that it's acknowledged you paid someone to show up 

Personally, I'd include a tip for the whoever shows up to check you in. He/she has to get up early to do this. 

HOpe this helps and have a wonderful trip