Does this sound right to you? Need help!

Answered!
Rita410
Level 2
Ohio, United States

Does this sound right to you? Need help!

Hello, our family has secured an Airbnb months ago in Lebanon and our stay is in less that 2 weeks. Flight arrivals and departures are typically in the late hours of the night, a commonly known fact among hosts and residents. I’ve been messaging the host to confirm our plans. He asked if we had alternate arrangements to accommodate our 4 a.m. arrival and we do not. The Airbnb reviews on his apartment state he has accommodated goofy flight schedules so we assumed we would be okay. I explained my point to him and he said he would help us, but...

” I can accommodate you I just thought maybe You will be visiting family before you check in (at 4 a.m.???)..No worries my sister will check you in .. the only thing if you do not mind because it is too early And it will be difficult to find public transportation if you do not mind pay her $20 fee so she can pay for her transportation !! If you are ok with that. Please let know and everything will be ready.”

This doesn’t sound right to me. Wouldn’t this charge be included in our fee? Am I responsible for host transportation? Again our flight arrival is nothing out of the ordinary over there. So grateful for your time and help! 🙂

1 Best Answer
Tueykay0
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

You are not responsible. He should pay the person to check you in. 

They are from a different culture too. Set your boundaries asap so they don't keep pushing you for other monies...ie. "you have to pay for towels. You have to pay for xyz"

State that 1) you are a paying guest

2) Your listing allows for this check-in time, because you know flight schedules are out of our control

3) Whoever checks us in works for you, not us.

4) We can go elsewhere if this doesn't work for you

View Best Answer in original post

38 Replies 38
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you wanted to check in from 4 a.m. in the morning,  you should have booked the night before.

You are asking the host to do you a favour and let you in 8 hours ahead of your check in, but don't want to pay the host for this service?

This host is not being unreasonable, to be honest you are.

Of course it doesn't mean they will think its okay to charge you more fees.

All he is asking is to pay his sister's travel costs so she can travel safely in the early hours. In his shoes I would have asked for that and an extra night.

He seems a lovely, flexible host.

I never said I didn’t want to pay for this service, Helen. I approached the community board wondering/concerned if last-minute extra fees were okay. 

In this circumstance @Rita0, I would consider any fee something that needs to be paid. He could run the fee high , but hasn’t suggested he will.

Essentially, you are paying for the convenience for room access. What is that price worth to you? That is the question... for you will be tired, and it is high season. Once you choose you want the room, it is what it is... to get into it! 

🙂

Cathie

🙂 thanks Cathie - that’s the conclusion I arrived at too!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Well actually  you questioned his right to ask you to compensate the cost of a cab for his sister to travel to let you into the apartment, and expressed concerns he would then try and charge you other extras.

You don't seem to understand that he is doing you an enormous favour by having his sister  get up in the early hours and let you in at 4.00 a.m. in the morning and only charging you for her transport. Not for her time. And not for the extra night.

The reason this is last minute because you only told him that you needed the accommodation at the last minute.

Totally agree a small fee to get to your accommodation with safety don't let this eat up your wonderful holiday ahead

Agreed Jackie! I asked host to send invoice via Airbnb and he did right away. That made me feel comfortable about the ask! 🙂

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Rita0,

an early 'check in' time in this airbnb world is considered a check in that takes place one or 2 hours before the check in time stipulated in the description of the listing.

An 8 hour earlier check in requires to book the night before. You are requiring to check in at a time You haven't even rented the place. Now, if Your host bends over backwards, has his sister get up at 3 am in the morning to check You in at 4, maybe waiting one or 2 hours if Your flight is late, and then asks for $20, this host shows a kind of hospitality that is just overwhelming. You should fall on Your knees and kiss his feet. Instead You are moanig about a dollar amount the size of a restaurant tip.

I would not check You in at 4 am, not for $20 and not for $50. I work every day and need my good night sleep to be able to work next day. And so obviously does Your host as he gets his sister involved. A 4 am check in time is something hotels offer with a night reception and they have a different pricetag.

When You buy Your tickets, when Your plane arrives and at what time planes are usually landing in Lebanon, all that is not Your hosts business, it's Your business.

You state:

My hesitation: I worry that if I pay this fee the host will think it’s ok to charge more fees.

Your hasitation may be justified. This host may scam You for another $20 if You ask for an 8 hour late check out.

Rita, I strongly suggest that You change Your attitude towards this host because he's p**** off already.

Rita410
Level 2
Ohio, United States

Thanks Ute, I don’t believe my question/attitude is unreasonable here given the circumstances. The host is not pissed off, he is doing his job and I respect that. I am grateful he is accommodating us. My question/concern is more about how last-minute, extra fees are handled with Airbnb.

The host should send you Request Money inquiry for these $20. You should accept it, if you agree. If you don't, so you have to check-in within the hours indicated in the listing, not earlier. AirBnb doesn't forbid hosts to request money for additional services. In your case, it is the additional service, which you requested, the host did not impose anything on you. If I was your host, I would request the payment for an additional night plus for a special service (check-in at 4 a.m.). So I agree with the others, your host is very generous asking you to pay only $20 just for the early check-in service.

Thanks Claudiu!

Well,  in this case I would give them the cash. They may need that fee in cash to pay for her cab when she gets there to let you in. Most hosts would charge an extra night as would hotels,  I think they are being extremely considerate in going out of their way for you.

Rita410
Level 2
Ohio, United States

Sounds good Tueykay - yes I will not hesitate to tip her. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Rita0 ,

Hi Rita,

pls note that I do not want to insult You as a person as I don't know You at all. You may be a wonderful grandmother, have a nice family and work for charity. I don't know all that.

All I'm criticising is the way You handle this lebanon booking and yes, the way You handle it is anreasonable.

2 questions:

Q1. Let's say Your host writes You a message before arrival: Dear Catíe, can I ask You to move check in time from noon to 8 pm. Reason: This persons works swingshift and at the time of booking he could not firgure out what his working hours would be on that check in day. That is the exact same point that You are making: You could not figure out the flight details early enough.

What would Your answer be to his request: No problem, we will just go ahead and book a dayroom in some hotel to kill these 8 hours. And of course we will not charge You for this as this situation is not mentioned in the listing. Would that be Your ansewer?

Q2. How far do You think can a guest request to move check in ahead of time. 8 hrs, 12 hrs? What about this: booking details say: Check in Saturday, June 16 at 3 pm. Guest writes: Can I pls ask for an earlier check in on wednsday? I mean, where's the boundary, there must be some limit somewhere. Because the typical airbnb host has a life outside airbnb and is not available 24/7.

Rita, the way You handle this lebanon booking ist the typical pattern of a guest who wants the Ritz Carlton service at a campground price.

Go ahead, book the Carlton an pay their price.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Rita0

Technically, if you want access to the room before checkin time, by more then an hour or two, you should be paying for the space. You needed to book the extra day preceding your booking.

therefore, if the host is letting you in, even at 6am, having been inconvenienced (or his sister) I would be paying her transport, giving her a tip and paying him the night before accommodation. At the very least, 50%.  

The host cannot rent the room out the night before, as you technically want access to sleep yourself during night... or at dawn, so that is a financial loss to him.

I’m a guest and a host, so I’ve seen middle of the night arrivals, and also made them myself. However as a host, I insist on guests paying who come in through the night. I’ve even set up a half day cost for persons arriving at 6am, when my check in is at 2pm. Hotels charge the full fee, no exceptions.

If you want the room, pay what is required in transport, tips and room rental. Plus consider leaving the host a very good review, and a gift for his family. Some fruit or chocolates. He appears to have gone out of his way to accommodate your misjudgment of dates.   Sadly, it wasn’t discovered early enough to have communicated to him to have booked the room the extra night.

Alternatively, hang out inside/around the airport.....

Makes me me wonder if he is moving someone else, to accommodate you. 

Do enjoy your trip. Just be mindful of the dates next time. For it is a trap. 

🙂

Cathie