Does this sound right to you? Need help!

Answered!
Rita410
Level 2
Ohio, United States

Does this sound right to you? Need help!

Hello, our family has secured an Airbnb months ago in Lebanon and our stay is in less that 2 weeks. Flight arrivals and departures are typically in the late hours of the night, a commonly known fact among hosts and residents. I’ve been messaging the host to confirm our plans. He asked if we had alternate arrangements to accommodate our 4 a.m. arrival and we do not. The Airbnb reviews on his apartment state he has accommodated goofy flight schedules so we assumed we would be okay. I explained my point to him and he said he would help us, but...

” I can accommodate you I just thought maybe You will be visiting family before you check in (at 4 a.m.???)..No worries my sister will check you in .. the only thing if you do not mind because it is too early And it will be difficult to find public transportation if you do not mind pay her $20 fee so she can pay for her transportation !! If you are ok with that. Please let know and everything will be ready.”

This doesn’t sound right to me. Wouldn’t this charge be included in our fee? Am I responsible for host transportation? Again our flight arrival is nothing out of the ordinary over there. So grateful for your time and help! 🙂

1 Best Answer
Tueykay0
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

You are not responsible. He should pay the person to check you in. 

They are from a different culture too. Set your boundaries asap so they don't keep pushing you for other monies...ie. "you have to pay for towels. You have to pay for xyz"

State that 1) you are a paying guest

2) Your listing allows for this check-in time, because you know flight schedules are out of our control

3) Whoever checks us in works for you, not us.

4) We can go elsewhere if this doesn't work for you

View Best Answer in original post

38 Replies 38

Thanks Cathie - I appreciate your thoughtful perspectives! 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Wow.  You 'assumed' that you would be able to check in halfway through the previous night without booking and paying for it, and then baulk at paying $20 for someone to get up in the small hours of the morning so that you can do so.  Wow.  I think you just put yourself on the 'decline' list of any host reading this.  It sounds like you are 'more suited to a hotel environment'.

Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

I have a current couple check out tomorrow is 10am there flight dosnt leave until 2am next morning they asked for extra time and would pay I gave them until 7pm at no cost it's not all about money to me just my thoughts 

Hi @Jackie0

I hear what you are saying which is why I offer a 50% rate. You can be friendly and fair and flexible, but you shouldn’t be out of pocket. This ultimately is a business transaction.

It depends on what the space is offering access to, across the twelve hours.

Guests  get full use of the space. Late flights also mean extra showers and large air conditioners x 3 in use. Tv, wifi internet.  BBQ, full kitchen use etc.A family could also easily use 50GB of internet data, in a day of gaming.

My 50% rate isn’t 50% of services. It also includes maybe washing their rental car before returning, more laundry use and constant use of the pool (chemicals /salt and water replacement if teenage/ adults playing games.)

You must cover your ultimate costs, then the rest sorts itself.

Some use little, most use a bit of everything. 

When there are five staying, (4x adults , 1 x infant) that adds up. So sometimes I allow  late checkout to 1pm free, instead of my 10am departure; but I won’t give away twelves hours of an entire 2bedroom self contained unit of self catering living space under our house.

For all the enjoyment and cultural interaction et all, I won’t be financially out of pocket. Just bad business. 

🙂

Cathie

Jackie   Jackie in some cases okay I allow people to store their bags here after check-out - no problem, and before check-in no problem. But that's different I am not paying for a cab to accommodate my guests and getting up super early etc. etc.

If the host is having to scramble and spend money (a cab fee)  to accommodate a guest for a check-in  half a day earlier than check-in time, then it's only right the guest pays for it or books the night before. 

In fact it should not even have been a question - the guest should have booked an extra night.

jackie

this will arode your margins if they deside to have long shower before they go and leave the aircon on!

Look before you leap... 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

What would an Hotel do under the circumstances you describe? 

Charge you for a car to collect you from the Airport and let you sit in the lobbly on till your check-in time.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I’ll agree with the others. 

The reason you are getting an add-on charge is bc you have asked for an additional service. 

If you don’t want extra charges, don’t ask for extra things. 

As it is, this host has given you more for less than I would have. 

Id recommend that you be as grateful to your host as you are able

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I agree with everybody else, well I would not do a 4am check in but if it was possible you would need to book the night before, I charge by the night and 4 am is the previous night.

David