Door bell camera disconnected

Colleen444
Level 1
Washington, DC

Door bell camera disconnected

Hi, I have my first guests in my home now. I see that they disconnected the Nest Doorbell Camera as well as the Nest lock itself. This means that I cannot see the comings and goings and my also mean that the front door is not locked at all. I live in the city and this is not wise at all, and Im concerned. I feel as tho the guests did this only last night (Sat night) as they were likely having a party and did not want me to see their comings and goings. Any one have any experience with this? Is it fair/ok for them to disconnect the outdoor door bell camera? Can I do anything if they do not lock the front door? (again, I feel as tho they are doing this so people can come and go undetected. as they did not change these things on thurs, or fri of their stay). Help / Advice anyone???

5 Replies 5
Elizabeth2530
Level 2
Eddington, ME

Hi Colleen,

we recently had awesome guests that disconnected the camera because they were actually quite famous and didn’t want any host posting pictures of them online we sort of understood that after they did it. Most guests won’t mind but it does sometimes feel like you’re being watched. I would reach out and ask them why they did that and if you get a reasonable reply I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. Some people are just weird about privacy.

@Elizabeth2530  You have an extremely weird (but positive) review from a guest who claims he "invited a celebrity" and hopes to bring "more celebrities" in the future. Hmm. Did you personally meet the celebrity and recognize them as such? Did they obtain your consent to disconnect your camera? 

Hi @Anonymous,

We had Millyz come (rapper from Cambrage, MA). I had never heard of him but he and his team were wonderful guests! I was able to meet him and give him a tour of our home. I think if you looked at him, theres no way you could fake those face tattoos! 

They did not obtain verbal consent, but more of a mutual understanding of knowing they wanted a place to feel safe without paparazzi. I want my home to feel safe and comfortable for my guests above all else, and if a camera gets in the way of that then the camera goes.

@Elizabeth2530 Ah OK, your booked guest was a hype man. It's just part of his job to inflate the rapper's value by making him sound like a much bigger deal than he is. 

All great hosts like yourself want their guests to feel safe and comfortable, but there's not really any security value in having cameras if the guests need only express some apprehensions to get them disabled. They do, of course, have the option of booking listings without cameras if that's an important consideration for them.

(it's a preference of mine as well, even though I don't have paparazzi problems) 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Colleen444 your guests have no right to do this and I'd kick them out right away. As long as you've made it clear in your listing that you have cameras, they have no right to do this. You are the host, the cameras are for your protection. I would not allow guests who did something like this to continue their stay. 

Remember, it's YOUR property and they are GUESTS!