Drug use / broken house rules

Kelsey82
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Drug use / broken house rules

Hello everyone,

I recently had a guest stay who broke many house rules and I am wanting to request some money from them. I was wondering how much I should ask

for total. They are no longer messaging me back and so I feel like they won’t accept anything I send them so hopefully air B and B will back me up. Here is what happened:

1) late check out by at least 45 minutes ($50) . I called and messaged them an hour before the 12pm checkout to remind them of when checkout was. I received no response so I headed to the condo at 12pm and noticed the key was not in the lockbox so I called The guest. She said she was out but her friend was still there. So i waited outside for her friend to check out....12:45pm goes by and still no key in the lock box. She  then tells me her friend just left the condo ( but no sign of the key). I finally go into the condo around 2pm ( 2 hours after regular check out) using my own key to find the place a mess.

2) they did not return the key fob ($50) - they took it with them or lost it.

3) crack pipe left in the house so there was obviously drug use going on as well as some Burnt spoons and cigarette butts found in the garbage even though there was strict rules for no smoking ( typically $500.00 fine). We filed a police report regarding the drugs.

4) they broke the window handle ($50.00)

5) nail polish on the $1200.00 couch and on the kitchen counter

6) they stayed there three nights and there was about 5 large bags of garbage after I was done cleaning

7) It took me an extra 2.5 hours to clean the condo than a regular clean  I charge 60 dollars a cleaning

😎 later I found out there was a third person staying there which was not mentioned when Haley initially booked which was proven in the text messages she sent me.

if you could help me out on how much you think we could ask for that would be great. The main thing is that I spent about 5 hours of my own time trying to get in and then to clean which was super annoying. 

9 Replies 9
Erica266
Level 5
Ushuaia, Argentina

As far a money 1400 plus what is charge by hour on wage in your area, i don´t know.
But do you have pictures of everything?
Can you prove that they did it? 
(of course they did it, but airbnb need actual evidence)

I think that the most important thing is that you flagged them for dangerous behaviour (drugs) but you sure they where doing drugs?
I really hope you get the money. and that it never happens again

Yes we have photos of everything ! 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kelsey82 if you hope for Airbnb back up on this you will need photographs and receipts showing your actual incurred expenses. So the answer to your question "how much?" is whatever it actually cost you. In general you are not likely to have a lot of luck charging for extra cleaning, or for rule violations, but for late check-out ("overstay") and damage you might.

You have to submit the claim within two weeks or before your next guest checks in, whichever is first.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/361/how-do-i-request-reimbursement-under-the-host-guarantee

https://www.airbnb.com/terms (section 8.2.2)

We have photos of everything - but no receipts yet. I am the one who does the cleaning so I wouldn't have a receipt for extra cleaning. Late check out also wouldn't have a receipt attached to that. They key fob we will get a new receipt for and then if we buy a new couch we will have a receipt for that but not in the near future. We have submitted the claim but no response from the guest yet. 

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I just had a similar thing happen to me. I took photos and submitted a claim. That bogus guest is still out there making reservations. I've started to take a video of the unit after cleaning and before the next guest checks in as proof of how the unit was before the checked in.

@Erica266 from what the host has said, there is plenty of evidence that the guest used drugs. Burnt spoons are evidence of IV drug use.

Be sure to report this guest and leave an accurate review in order to protect other hosts. Here in Alaska, there are lots of hosts giving really bad guests great reviews. It's horrible; I think that these hosts that leave these glowing reviews really are not cleaning their own units and monitoring activity.

You bet i reviewed them right after this all happened. I am not sure if I reported them for dangerous behaviour other than writing it in my review. I will go check right now. 

@Kelsey82   You will want to be careful about making specific criminal allegations in your review because that would probably cause airbnb to remove the review.  So you could say you found cigarette butts and burnt spoons in the trash, and leave it at that, but don't mention drug use, even if it is 99.9% obvious that burnt spoons and pipe paraphanelia=illegal drug use.

I would attempt to charge them for all the damaged stuff, and you might get some portion of it, I doubt they will give you any money for extra cleaning, but you never know w/airbnb and it can't hurt to include it.

Muchy0
Level 2
Queenstown, NZ

Hi Kelsey,

I am in a current situation similar to yours. We've made claims including extra cleaning -- just like you, Im the cleaner hence no letterhead receipt. Instead I wrote explaining the situation and extra cleaning needed and comparing to a normal clean. Airbnb responded with requesting it in a proper letterhead again -- which is really frustrating (Makes you think if Airbnb wants us to make up things!!!). So I'm on a look out on how other hosts managed this. Ill let you know if something comes up. Good luck to us. 

JoAnna504
Level 1
Medford, OR

Hi Kelsey, 

You are not alone... We find ourselves in a similar pickle.  We are trying to determine if we need to hire a rehab contractor to clean because from what we can determine it was either meth or heroin, both are toxic in the property.  Meth is water-soluble so some research shows washing the surfaces and having the carpet mattress cleaned is enough... but fun party trick, lost the booking tonight and I need it cleaned within the next 48 hours.  I have already started processing the laundry because I don't have time to burn.  Blargh.  Best of luck!