Dublin, Ireland New laws due to be introduced in June 2019

Eimear7
Level 2
County Galway, Ireland

Dublin, Ireland New laws due to be introduced in June 2019

Hello fellow airbnb hosts,

I am a relatively new host  and wanted to ask other airbnb hosts in Dublin about these news laws the gov is talking about introducing in June 2019.

It seems that if the property is not your primary residence, you will no longer be able to do Airbnb.

May I ask what other hosts are doing? Are you closing your calendars from June onwards?

January to March are very quiet so far and I am wondering should I just quit Airbnb now and lease my house out long term.

I don't want to do this. I invested a lot of money getting airbnb up and running, but it seems like I have no choice.

If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it.

Kindest regards

Eimear

49 Replies 49
Conor16
Level 1
Sandymount, Ireland

Hi Eimear,

I have some of the same questions myself.

One thing that I don't understand is when will the 90 days start from? What happens if you have already rented it for say 80 days, can you then just rent for 10 more days? What is people already have more than 90 days booked? They will end up having to cancel some dates and will get terrible reviews and lose their ratings and SuperHost status.

I would suggest talking to your local authority to get some answers.

Conor

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Eimear7 @Conor16

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys, but you're wasting your time looking for answers. Nobody - and I mean, nobody - not Airbnb, not DCC, not the Government - will answer any of the direct questions on the proposed new regs, that have already been put to them, time and time again.

The only information I've been able to get is off-the-record, and even at that, my sources aren't 100% sure if what they know at this point, will be the end result. So we're all still in the dark really, no further on than we have been for the past 3 years. It's not looking good though. 

Eimear7
Level 2
County Galway, Ireland

Thank you Susan and Conor for your response.

And yes Conor, I have tried to get answers from the Dublin City Coucil, who passed me on to the Dep of Planning and housing... but no one will answer specific questions like the ones you mentioned. They just refered me to a PDF of Eoghan Murphy's proposal for short term let (dated 25th October) that is available on their site. Very frustrating. Wish they would just give us some clarity.

@Eimear7 @Conor16

Initial private committee meetings are starting next week, to discuss the proposed new regs, followed by a 4 week consultation period before the legislation is finalised and brought to the floor of the Dail. 

The real problem here, of course, it that the new regs have largely been dictated by the Irish Hotel Federation, who have threatened to pull the massive investments planned over the next 3 years, which is desperately needed to plug the huge shortfall in the city's hotel rooms, if the Government don't play ball and get rid of us. 

And you won't get any joy from DCC - they absolutely despise Airbnb, because they flatly refused to engage with the council in the earlier stages, and blanked them completely, insisting that they'd only speak with the Dept. Huge faux-pas by Airbnb, that's backfired badly on all of us - DCC, notorious for getting nothing done, is like a dog with a bone now when it comes to causing maximum damage to Airbnb (and by extension, Airbnb hosts!) I hope you didn't give your full name when you called them...  🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Susan17 this seems to give quite a clear steer

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/homes-property/explainer-what-will-the-new-airbnb-laws-mean-for-home...

In other areas like New York and London hosts of course weren't penalised if they had to cancel bookings because of new legislation.

However it would seem pragmatic if you know it is coming in, not to take longer term bookings or minimise them anyway post June.

To be honest the legislation seems a lot more flexible than in other European and US cities.

I think we would all agree that the STR market can't be allowed to grow unabated because of the impact on the communities in which it is based.

@Helen3

Sorry, I can't access the link so I don't know what it says, but I can assure you, the proposed legislation here is anything but flexible, and will wipe out small, hands-on, responsible  hosts - many of whom genuinely do  depend on their Airbnb income to feed their families and stay in their homes - in one fell swoop. 

And yes, we certainly would agree that the STR market can't be allowed to grow unabated because of the impact in the communities in which it is based. It's a shame that Airbnb doesn't give a sh*t about trivialities like that though, as they concentrated their efforts over the past 2-3 years, in aggressively recruiting and onboarding hundreds of  "professional" operators and commercial entities, with their thousands of unmonitored properties and their hordes of anti-social guests, to an already horribly saturated Dublin market. 

Now it's the small hosts like me, Eimear and Conor who will pay the price for Airbnb's insatiable greed, while most of the big players in our market (the builders, developers, estate agents, foreign speculators, vultures and chancers) will remain untouched, by buying and bribing their way forward, in exactly the same way as they've done in almost every other jurisdiction where bans and draconian regulations have been introduced. 

But hey, that's how Airbnb roll. Doesn't matter a d*mn to them who gets crushed in the process. As long as those figures are sky-high for the backers and potential investors ahead of the IPO, who cares about sacrificing a few hundred thousand little guys? A mere 500 commercials with vast inventories will plug that gap in an instant.

Paul1472
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Hi All,

I live in San Francisco and own an apartment in Dublin, I visit Ireland 3 or 4 times a year and rent out my apartment on AirBnB the rest of the time,

My hope is that they will allow Non resident owners to rent their Irish Holiday homes on AirBnB,

Otherwise my apartment will be vacant for months,

Any other people in the same position?

Thanks

Paul

@Paul1472 

As it stands now, that definitely won't be an option. Owner-occupiers, 90 day limit, mandatory registration. (No restriction on renting private rooms in own home) 

Hi Paul,

Yes I am in a similar position to you as I live in the UK and co-own a house in Cork City with my brother who is also non-resident. We use the house a few times a year and let it via AirBnB the rest of the time. We have no intention of long term letting the property. I will try to find out more regarding the non-resident position.

Regards, Margaret

Elena755
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

I'm in exactly the same position as you Paul. Not sure what to do about it. 

Eimear7
Level 2
County Galway, Ireland

Hello everyone,

Just checking in to see if anyone has heard anything new since?

Kindest regards

Eimear

Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread.

It's not just hosts left scratching our heads, but also guests. I've already booked somewhere in August after the new regulation is supposed to come into force. I'm travelling with my wife and children but have absolutely no idea what will happen. Will our accomodation just be cancelled and will be scrambling around at the last moment looking for somewhere else to stay? Some clarity or guidance would be so helpful. If I discover anything, I will post here.

Best wishes,

David

@David3629 

We're all still in the dark here, no answers from the government, no answers from Dublin City Council, no answers from Airbnb. All I can tell you is that Airbnb's advice to anyone who asks, is to just keep on taking those bookings, regardless. But they said that in Japan too, and that didn't turn out so well, with 62000 Japanese listings being pulled from the site under the minpaku laws, on June 1st of last year. (Coincidentally, June 1st is our deadline too - let's hope it's not a bad omen!)

That said, our Lord Mayor, head of the city council, just came into a fortuitous personal €1 million windfall, and this being good old Ireland, is under no obligation - legal or otherwise - to declare where he got it from. Maybe he won it on the horses. So who knows what the future holds... just about anything is possible in the land of saints and scholars. 

John2448
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Good morning to all.

It is quite confusing what is happening with these new AirBnB restrictive laws to be introduced in Ireland on June 01st. I have heard many Cities in Ireland have a housing shortage problem and this is some kind of attempt in forcing people who own another property into long term rentals. 

Is this new law applicable across the entire country or is it confined to the big Cities ?

Does permission need to be sought from the City Council's for any form of AirBnB hosting ?

If I may ask can anyone give some clarity to the current situation or give a link to any relevant  information provided.

I do fear this Varadkar regime may well be shooting the Irish Tourism Industry in the foot with such reckless legislation which will also become a major loss in tax revenue for them.

I have a small cottage on the outskirts of Limerick City that I was going to start hosting from early 2020 but it appears renovations will have to be put well on hold until this unfortunate situation is sorted out and proper clarity is given as to what options will remain on the table.

Kindest Regards from Sydney

John