Duplicate photos in listings and terms of service

Sarah1349
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

Duplicate photos in listings and terms of service

I just reported a host in my community that has 33 listings, but the majority are duplicates. 11 are duplicates of one, 11 of another, 3 of another, and 8 of another. The photos, descriptions, and prices for all of these listings are the same within their groups. The customer service agent I got seemed super dense, refused to speak to me on the phone, and would only say that hosts are allowed to create "multiple" listings. I know this much is true, but they have a report function for duplicate listings, so surely they don't want people using the same photos for 11 listings at a time? 

I'm not sure whether or not all of these are real places or not or if they are just trying to appear higher in search. This host has over ten thousand listings across the US and seems very shady. (A separate concern is it looks like they aren't complying with local laws, but that's another matter.) The Airbnb terms suggest that the photos should accurately represent the listing. Has anyone dealt with something like this and gotten a real verdict from Airbnb? 

8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sarah1349 

are you sure he doesn't have a hotel with 11 exactly the same rooms ?

I am surprised Airbnb allows duplicate listings. ... or maybe I am not...

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Sarah1349 as @Branka-and-Silvia0 said, how are you sure those are duplicates and not just a few of the same rooms? I have had the exact same situation where I have literally the same apartments and it would be a pain to have to deal with Airbnb just because someone felt I had duplicates without asking me first. Also over 10.000 listings? Please could you give us a link to this hosts profile? I have never seen someone with that much properties 🙂 

These are units in 3 different condo buildings. Surely they don't all have the exact same layout, furnishings, bed spreads, etc. They aren't hotels, I'm familiar with the buildings. I have been inside one which is largely residential. 

I would rather not publicly call out this host, but I will definitely admit I added a zero to my memory, HA! They have over 1700 listings. 33 in my city which are consistently given poor ratings by guests (I think they then take down the listings, duplicate the same one, and post again). I am not a fan. This concept doesn't seem in the spirit of Airbnb in the slightest. I do think you should have to use photos that accurately reflect your space, but more importantly, they definitely shouldn't be advertising the same property 11 times, or even 2 times. One listing per rentable space. 

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I'm not entirely sure what the complaint is here?

Hosts are allowed to have multiple listings (hopefully,  with linked calendars) for the same offering/space,  and to market the same space in various ways.   Ideally,  listings should not be the same.  If they are not substantively the same,  they are not duplicates.

It is hard to tell from your description,  whether they are truly duplicates or have some substantive difference that makes them kosher if spammy.  (Oooh-- that was a mixed metaphor).

Given what ABB CS is like,   I wouldn't ever argue with any particular clueless CS agent-- I'd HUCA,  "Hang Up Call Again,"  until I got someone that cared / knew the rules.    Presuming I thought it was worth my time,  which I generally don't.  (File under:  I don't think ABB has its **** together and wonder if ABB will ever get its **** together).

Good luck.

Hi Kenneth! The listings are truly duplicates. The only thing different on the entire listing is the title. The descriptions are the same, the photos are EXACTLY the same. They use the same local permit number on several of them which would imply it is the same place. The only information I don't have access to is whether there are different physical real addresses attached to them, which is why I asked for help from CS. I don't think real hosts should have to compete with fake, duplicate listings that push other listings down in search results. That is the complaint. 

It doesn't make sense to me that you say hosts are allowed to have multiple listings for the same space. That means I could duplicate my one apartment countless times and see which one listing gets booked first. This clearly would give my listing a better chance of being seen, but it doesn't make it ethical. But is it within TOS? No one knows apparently. It is news to me if I am allowed to do this. If so, I'll start up a duplicate listing outside of my Plus listing, and we can really put Plus to the test. 

I submitted my complaint via the @airbnbhelp twitter account which has been tremendously successful in the past, but it has really gone down the tubes recently. I waited two days for someone to "reach out to me" who then apparently didn't read my actual e-mail, told me they couldn't switch between e-mail and phone (which I know isn't true) then told me to contact the host directly. It was a lovely experience. I've submitted a new request but in the meantime I've come here. 

In true Airbnb fashion the website is being glitchy and posted my reply twice, so I edited the second one to this. haha

Sophie1539
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

A host in my community has the same property listed four times, same host, same photos, same descriptions. I've just tweeted AirBnB this concern, if anyone knows a better way to contact AirBnB please post it.  

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sophie1539 

Is it possible that the host in the property you mention is letting rooms or combinations of rooms in the same house - with the same external photo & common spaces?

eg Listing 1 - Bedroom 1

Listing 2 Bedroom 2

Listing 3 Bedrooms 1 and 2

Listing 4 Whole house (i.e. when host away)?

- Or all sorts of other combinations? 🙂