Duty of care

Patrick-And-Nicole0
Level 1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Duty of care

Hello community. While staying recently at a flat we had an avoidable accident due to a faulty light on a rooftop floor. The light was incredibly hot and burned our son's hand. After this happened we can see that the other light is burned out due to overheating. Has anyone else dealt with an issue where a host has shown a lack of duty of care and this has resulted in an injury? 

Thanks

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Patrick-And-Nicole0 

what do you mean by "light"? A light bulb or a lamp itself?

Old school electric bulbs and halogen bulbs are hot and heat the metal lamp as well. It's a common knowledge they shouldn't be touched by hand while turned on and at least for 10 min after they are turned off.

And yes, they burn out more often than modern LED lamps but not due to overheating, they just last shorter.

They are discontinued in many countries but still in sales in others, including Croatia

They look like this:

HALOGEN LIGHT BULBHALOGEN LIGHT BULB

ELECTRIC LIGHT BULBELECTRIC LIGHT BULB

Brittani7
Level 4
Florida, US

You should bring it up to the host before making assumptions.  I imagine the light bulb burnt out during your stay since it was still hot when your son went to touch it.  Lightbulbs burn out and the host might not be aware of the bulbing needing to be changed.  A host can't help you if you don't communicate with them.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Patrick-And-Nicole0  and not sure how old his ur son, but why he even touch the hot bulb?

This is one of the reasons i never accept kids on my property as in case of any incident, parent seems to put the blame of others. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Patrick-And-Nicole0 light bulbs tend to get hot, no one should touch them while they are on. Was degree burn was it? I can't imagine a light bulb being so hot and injuring your kid with more than a red hand since I suppose he removed his hand as soon as he touched it.