EXTRA STUFF

EXTRA STUFF

I HAVE A LOT OF ONE NIGHT BOOKINGS WHICH IS FINE BUT SHOULD I REQUIRE TWO OR THREE NIGHT MINIMUM?

ALSO WHEN YOU RENT A CONDO AT THE BEACH YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO BRING OR BUY ALL YOUR OWN STUFF THEY GIVE YOU ONE GARBAGE BAG ONE ROLL OF TOILET PAPER ETC ETC 

DO YOU LEAVE EXTRA STUFF FOR YOUR GUEST?      EXTRA GARBGE BAGS.   TOILET PAPER 

ALSO I HAVE TOOTHPASTE TOOTHBRUSH SOAP SHAMPOO CONDITIONER LOTION BODY WASH AND WHEN PEOPLE STAY ONE NIGHT I FEEL OTS SUCH A WASTE BECAUSE IT GETS THROWN AWAY WITH LITTLE USE OF IT?    DO YOU GUYS SUPPLY THAT STUFF ?

4 Replies 4
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

One night stays are too much work snd open you to people wanting the place for a party. Two + nights are my suggestion 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

All of your costs are spent on the first night. It's subsequent nights that bring you profit. 

You have a beach condo? And you're taking one night bookings? I'd suggest 7 night minimum in high season, 3-5 night minimum in low season. 

Have you tried it? I bet you'd get the bookings. 

Also, don't skimp on things like toilet paper. The cost is near zero but the value to the guest is huge. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Melissa1740   Note:  Please do not post in all caps.  You are shouting.

As to your questions, definitely change your rental minimum to more than 1 night.  Unless you are close to an airport and want to host people who are travelling on from your location, a 2 or 3 night minimum is better.  You are not a hotel (or a party venue).  Do not accept same day rentals.  Allow for ample time to clean between guests.  

Suggestions on things to leave for guests:  one roll of TP on the roller, 2 more wrapped rolls in the cabinet.  1 roll of paper towels, a fresh sponge for the sink.  I leave a small box (15 count) of trash can bags under the kitchen sink and a new bag in the can.   Coffee machine filters, sugar and creamer packets, salt and pepper, oil and vinegar.  I don't leave refrigerator condiments, but some owners do.

I leave dish soap, dishwasher tabs, laundry detergent (small bottle) and hand soap for my guests.  I do not leave any personal products like shampoo, conditioner, etc.  IMO, it is not economical or profitable to replace those items for each new guest. I do have a bathroom drawer that has a small supply of new, unused (sealed) hotel size toiletries and spare toothbrushes, but I do not set these out on the counter.  Most guests may take one or two items as needed, but leave the rest in the drawer undisturbed.   

I also leave a bottle of multi-purpose cleaner, glass cleaner and furniture polish with rags under the kitchen sink for those lovely guests who want to clean up after themselves -- they do exist!

I buy my supplies in bulk, and I reuse and refill the small containers, boxes and bottles that are in the property for guest use.  For example, that 15 bag box of trash can liners is refilled from my giant roll.  

Good luck with your endeavors!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Melissa1740  Turn off your caps lock. 🙂

I know there are some beach locations where guests traditionally provide for themselves, but that certainly isn't true in all beach rentals.

I don't understand what you mean by soap, etc. getting thrown away and wasted. Are you providing little hotel-size stuff? Don't do that. You can get wall dispensers for the showers that you simply refill from a  bulk container and smaller pump containers by the sinks that you also refill.

Providing soap, toilet paper, some cheap individually wrapped toothbrushes in case a guest forgot theirs are basic items you should not cheap out on and shouldn't result in any wastage.

It isn't really necessary to provide shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, and so on unless you want to. It sort of depends on your price point. I have a budget-minded private room/ private bath listing so only provide soap and TP, but so many guests leave almost full containers of their own shampoo, sunscreen, shaving gel, etc, that I have a basket of "help yourself" stuff like that in the bathroom, letting guests know that I sterlize (swiping them down with bleach or Lysol wipes) the outside of the containers between guests. I only leave stuff that's at least half full- if it's less than that, I use it myself or pass it on to someone who can use it. Very little becomes actual garbage.