Early cancellation. Guest wants refund.

Debra108
Level 3
Silver Spring, MD

Early cancellation. Guest wants refund.

I have a guest who wants to cancel early. She's been at the house alone for over a month because I'm in NY due to Covid-19. She is supposed to stay until May 31 but has requested to leave May 4. She wants to be refunded.

I told her we could not refund her because this is our business - how we make our money. 

She immediately started to complain that the listing was not as expected - the dishwasher does not work and she's been doing things that a guest would not normally do (like take in the mail, put out the garbage, etc).  

But she has the house to her self and has spread out...

Do I have to offer her a refund?

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Debra108  No, you don't have to refund her. Let her know that if there was a problem with the dishwasher, or anything else, she should have mentioned that when she noticed it, so you had an opportunity to get someone to come look at it, using it as an excuse to try to get a refund for an early cancellation isn't how Airbnb works.

Also let her know that long term guests are indeed expected to do things like take out their own garbage-long term bookings are different from short stays.

Thanks, Sarah. Since I wrote this the guest filed a complaint with Airbnb. She says that the dishwasher is listed as an amenity, but does not work.  Airbnb says that this entitles her to a full refund.  She's been there since January.

It's true that the dishwasher is listed as an amenity (I have since removed it), but I told her as soon as she moved in that it didn't work. Why didn't she complain sooner?

She told Airbnb that she's complained monthly about the nonworking dishwasher, but that simply is not true. Clearly, she's using that as an excuse to get a refund.  

Airbnb says that they see my point of view. The case is under review.

This is the first time a guest has complained. I'm a Super Host, known for my hospitality.  I check in with my guests frequently and ask "what do you need to make your stay better?" I always receive nice reviews about my hospitality and kindness.  Do I get any extra points  for being a Super Host? What rights do I have?

This is especially upsetting to me considering Covid-19 is happening, and I'm here in NY trying to keep my elderly father safe. 

@Debra108 That's ridiculous that Airbnb is saying she's entitled to a full refund because the dishwasher didn't work. Stand your ground with CS and if you don't get anywhere, take it up with a different case manager or ask the one you have now to pass it on to a supervisor.

However, if you know the dishwasher didn't work, why didn't you either have it repaired, or let the guest know that it was non-functional before she arrived, and let her know that if that was a big issue for her, that she could cancel? It's not right to just tell a guest that something you list as an amenity isn't working after they check-in. If you had let her know as soon as you realized it didn't work, and she messaged back that it wasn't a deal breaker, you'd have a record of that, and she wouldn't have been able to make an issue of it after the fact. If a listed amenity doesn't work, you should offer a guest a bit of a discount.

Yes, that was my bad! I should have told her before she accepted to stay. 😞

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I agree with @Sarah977. Replacing the dishwasher is a less than an hour work that almost everyone can do it with some basic tools. A new low-end dishwasher only costs less than $300. It makes much much more sense to just replace it if it's not working. If it's your business, it's very important to keep up with the maintenance and make sure everything is working properly.

I agree, we should have fixed it or replaced it. We tried to get it fixed, but after a long time decided it wasn't worth it, and we would replace it instead.  But I hadn't gotten around to it. So, I should have told the guest as Sarah suggested.

But that is not the issue.  

She has been in the place since January and now it is April. I told her the dishwasher didn't work when she moved in.  Yes, I should have told her prior to moving in, but I didn't.

Why didn't she complain prior to April?  She is using this to get her money back.

@Debra108

They're saying she's entitled to a full refund for the entire stay from January, or for the remainder of her stay? (Not that either is even remotely acceptable!)

The usual (still ludicrous) penalty a single missing/broken amenity is 50%

That's what they said. A full refund.

@Debra108  Did you tell her on the airbnb system, if so, then you have a record that she knew and still stayed and this will  help you significantly.  If you can't prove you told her, then you are at the mercy of airbnb....and you should follow @Sarah977  recommendations on how to keep trying. 

No, unfortunately I didn't tell her on Airbnb, nor in a text. 😞

Matthew1107
Level 2
Malacca, Malaysia

Airbnb has been recognized for Global brand for “Airbnb Citizen Advancing home sharing as a solution”
However, this was not my experience on DATE.
Have made a reservation in advance for my 3rd times Taiwan vacation in mid Mar 2020, however in February 2020, coronavirus cases were confirmed in Asia including Singapore, Taiwan and Malaysia and etc.
In view of the emerged of Covid-19, our family decided to cancel the trip on 7th Feb 2020 and request for a refund in early Mar 2020 but we were shocked that the AIRBNB and the HOST unwilling to refund my deposit of RMx,xxx.xx
We do understand the AIRBNB & Taiwan HOST (FUN) Policy ( wonder why need two distinct policy?? ),
and accept the administration charges for cancellation and will get a refund of RMx,xxx.xx which was displayed on my refund statement

I noticed that I’m not the only one that AIRBNB had rejected for a refund, there are more out there have failed to get a refund.
Is regret to see AIRBNB and The HOST taking advantage of the consumer during the Covid-19.