Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging? Why is this not a searchable filter or amenity yet?

Ali277
Level 3
New York, NY

Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging? Why is this not a searchable filter or amenity yet?

As someone who frequently uses Airbnb, someone who loves traveling, and someone who is about to own an electric car - I'm bummed to see that it has been 2 years since EV charging has been suggested to this website and there is still no headway made on this easy addition. Electric cars are becoming more prominent in our country and I figured it would be an amazing perk to see what airbnbs would also offer charging at them so I could charge when I reach my destination. 

26 Replies 26
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

One potential problem is that anyone who has an ev charger is likely to have an ev and want to charge it.

I'm also not sure I want to add yet more on to my electricity bill charging up other people's vehicles.

I have my own EV and installed both 110V and 220V access in the guesthouse parking space.  I would like to be able to better advertise this amenity as a way to attract more guests.  I believe the cost is pretty nominal really and could be easily recouped through higher traffic, rates or an additional charging fee.  I’d like to see this opened up as a searchable amenity.  

I came across this thread as I didn't see a filter for EV charging option. The amount is so minimal especially in areas with cheaper electricity rates. I could be wrong, but a quick google search indicates seattle electricity rates is 10.8 cents per kilowatt hour.  Roughly $5-10 bucks give or take a couple bucks, and this is assuming someone low on battery to full.

So, if people are charging every night/day for a week, that amounts to a weekly increase of hydro of anywhere from $5 to $ 10 per night. There is no way of knowing exactly what it costs, but I don't feel we as hosts should be paying for their travel costs as well while staying in your space.

No one pays for my gas / fuel to get around while I am travelling.

This should be an extra charge, just not sure how it can be implemented. People are charging during the day, and at the highest rates can run up  hydro  quite a bit more, our rates are double during the day. We pay 17c / KW.

It I should also be required to disclose the intent to charge a VEHICLE when you get a request to book, not after the fact when they arrive and you see a cord running out to their vehicle after they check in and charge daily for week or longer stays.  Putting up overall price isn't fair to others that drive and pay for fuel.

I often try to find EV friendly hosts when I travel, as I want to charge overnight. I only need a PowerPoint. Not a special charger. Hosts could get more bookings if they offer their PowerPoint. It's nearly a trivial cost really - an overnight charge of ten hours might be $5 in electricity, but has got you another night booked. It's a shame Airbnb don't advertise this filter setting properly. There is one to list, but not to search as a guest. Maybe it's a future addition.

As an EV owner, it would be totally fine with me to give the owner some cash - usually $10 should easy cover a full charge.  This will also encourage other properties to get an outlet (NEMA 14-50 is fine).

It is absolutely crazy that you can’t search by properties offering EV charging. As an EV owner this is one of the most important features of any accommodation we stay at. 

You can use this filter https://airbnbase.com/ev-charger/

Andrew577
Level 2
Bowral, Australia

I have recently looked into installing an EV charger at my property where I host. The cost of doing this is A$1,500. I think it will add potential guests in the future, but only if they can filter for EV charging when they search for properties in my area. The fact that there are not many public places yet in regional Australia where you can charge EV's makes this even more important. I have tried to speak to Airbnb about this recently, but the feedback was quite negative. The Airbnb representative tried to suggest that this was a novel suggestion, but since reviewing feedback in the community I see that there have been dozens of requests for this over the past 3 years or so.

There is a amenity setting for EV charging last I looked, which is new. But while I can list it in my listing, you can't or can't yet search for EV charging as a guest it seems. Maybe it's a future addition. Check if your listing now has EV charging as a amenity option. I see a PowerPoint and suitable parking as adequate to tick this box. BTW I ran out of electricity today in my Tesla. First time in five years! Miles had to tow me 4mins to the charger at Fitzroy Inn. Lucky close. But goes to show charging is important, and it's a perfect arrangement to charge while sleeping in an Airbnb.

Ned15
Level 1
Ephraim, UT

Seriously, lack of ability to search by this amenity is a real pain for EV drivers.

Ben164
Level 2
Langlois, OR

I just went to help, then feedback at the bottom of the page and as a traveler and a host and as a suggestion and report a bug, I copied a link to this thread and added some helpful comments.  Among them asking someone from airbnb to respond to the glaring, non green, absence of the EV charging amenity.  Please as a host and traveller, add the suggestion and report it as a bug.  Someone will respond.  Its really really remiss to not have this ever growing green amenity not listed....   Thank you, Ben

I chatted and called. They told me they only include important search items...she specifically said 

IRON     SHAMPOO      HANGERS   are more important. Are they misguided or ignorant? This is so sad for the green community. 

Please write, call and chat

Who uses an iron anymore?!

Lol.

Just joking.

But seriously, what percentage of people use the iron? How does that compare to the percentage of drivers using an electric vehicle? Growing exponentially?

Preaching to the choir, I know.  But I thought it should be said.