Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging? Why is this not a searchable filter or amenity yet?

Ali277
Level 3
New York, NY

Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging? Why is this not a searchable filter or amenity yet?

As someone who frequently uses Airbnb, someone who loves traveling, and someone who is about to own an electric car - I'm bummed to see that it has been 2 years since EV charging has been suggested to this website and there is still no headway made on this easy addition. Electric cars are becoming more prominent in our country and I figured it would be an amazing perk to see what airbnbs would also offer charging at them so I could charge when I reach my destination. 

26 Replies 26
Nicole2027
Level 1
California, US

I find this frustrating, both as a host AND as a traveller. I would use vacation rentals more, if I could find any with chargers. I don't quite understand why this is so hard.

I ended-up listing mine on PlugShare  (https://www.plugshare.com/location/198945), but that's not really a place where people look to book a vacation rental. So, as far as I know, no guest has used it, yet.

I called and the agent told me that "hangers", "iron" and "shampoo" were searchable items. They have no intention of adding Tesla Destination Chargers or a search option for EV charging...ugh

Why are they hating on Tesla and EV's

They use to have some sort of partnership at one point and I assume they had a falling out. It's a shame because at the end of the day it's affecting the end consumer. Like myself last year when I went on a 8,000km road trip. I would have opted for airbnb, but instead, I stayed at hotels that offered charging.

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

Agreed that there is no reason EV charging availability isn’t searchable as a filtered item. The system integration side of adding this functionality would be close to zero. Makes no sense. 

Peter760
Level 2
Danbury, WI

I would appreciate the ability to search on EV charging and don't see a problem if hosts want to charge for that. This is a relevant and reasonable request.

I wish Airbnb would add a filter for properties with Electric Vehicle  charging. I wonder is there a way of petitioning Airbnb directly? 

Lynn1324
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Dear Airbnb - PLEASE add a filter for "EV charger".  Land owners: IMHO just install a Nema 14-50 outlet (and 50 amp circuit) somewhere near the parking spot; no need to invest in a proprietary charger - guests should bring their own (teslas come with one).  About as complicated as installing a dryer outlet.

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

This filter is now in place for guests to search.  It probably took a developer about 15 seconds to implement and test.  But at least it's here!

Now we have the opposite problem where everyone lists 'EV charger on site' as an amenity when there isn't. When I messaged one host to clarify what EV charging they had, they said, "oh, there's a charger at a Chik-fil-A that is 8 miles away" like that wasn't going to be an issue. I actually reported that listing but it still shows EV charger on the listing. Hosts wouldn't lie about laundry on site or free wi-fi and then say, "oh, there's a laundromat 8 miles down the road and you can use their wi-fi". This issue really needs to be addressed because it's impossible to tell if listings actually have charging without messaging hosts and asking.

Mandy315
Level 2
Colchester, United Kingdom

I have to message every guest after booking to explain that southern Italy homes only have 3kw per house so it’s impossible to use our sockets overnight - like a guest did last summer & it blew up our underground water pump due to power surges!!! Cost me £1200 & the guest just got free mileage during her stay !  Oh & we also worked out it cost us over 70€ in additional electricity used during her stay 🤦‍♀️ 
I’ve added to rules & description just to be in the safe side.  

Sounds like you have electrical issues in general at the house. This limit doesn't make sense, a dryer or electrical stove can easily use that. Do you have actual information on this limit? 

Maggie571
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

I was looking into getting a EV charger point installed, forward planning, I hope, we are a remote Welsh hillside farm and wonder if an EV charger would encourage people to visit?  However if i cannot have it as a search option for potential guests then how would they know??