Enhanced Cleaning Protocol

Jillie1
Level 10
Harrogate, United Kingdom

Enhanced Cleaning Protocol

After reading the new enhanced cleaning protocol and subsequently passing the quiz, I have since read the more in depth version and decided that taking down and cleaning my 3 sets of very heavy 10 ft long curtains for cleaning & sanitising will be too much.  Similarly, with the re-washing of already clean and put away crockery, cutlery, glasses, pots & pans etc in the kitchen.  (I always previously did a check to see everything which was put away in the cupboards was clean and any pots and pans which were not up to standard, I of course re-washed) but to re-wash everything clean in the cupboards is ridiculous!   For this reason,  as far as the enhanced cleaning protocol,   "I'M OUT" as they would say in Dragon's Den and will be taking down my badge shortly to replace it with the 72 hour one!  

I have 5 star cleaning reviews which I intend to maintain, de-cluttered the space - removing books, games & various other things and will allow several days before and after bookings.  I will also use masks, gloves etc and follow all the simplified cleaning protocol rules and provide cleaning materials and sanitisers for my guests.  But I'm not going to take down those curtains or re-wash clean plates!!

Good luck all!

43 Replies 43
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Trevor243,

Handling shoes should not present any more opportunity to spread the virus than bringing in groceries .  Proper hand washing should be done after touching anything that may have been contaminated by the virus.  A person still needs to wash their hands after removing the shoe covers and throwing them in the garbage.

@Debra300 @Trevor243  I'm a barefoot girl myself. Much easier to wash your feet than deal with all that extra stuff 🙂

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

My sentiments exactly @Debra300 !

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

That hand washing is essential - but it's so easy to forget - and this is a long term change to our whole way of life - old habits die very hard .....

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Mr Chatterbox returned for a 1 night stay 3 nights ago, to resume the house hunting he started in March. - He;d had a complete personality transplant!! - This time he was more Mr Nervous-Paranoid-Uptight, with his mask & sanitizer, & reports of what he would/would not touch & had & had not touched. Made ME a nervous wreck!

The next day, Dr Regular-Off-Platform-Even-During-Lockdown stayed. So relaxed, we had a long breakfast catch up from a social distance. I asked if he'd be prepared to stay if I got a couple of lodgers...? Would it bother him? 'Not at all', he replied, wouldn't bother him in the slightest having others in the house. And he knew how to take his own precautions. (Soap, & distancing) - That's the spirit! - Enhanced cleaning??? - Who needs it?

Angie488
Level 2
Gatlinburg, TN

I'm not sure where I am to direct any comment. I clean and i do it very well. I never had a complaint and always 5 star reviews. Why is it that now the only way for a guest  to get a refund is to make the place seem so unclean and lie to get money they don't feel they should be charged? I'm sorry but I think it is all unfair and it has cost me more than 1 rental and it is my livelihood these guests are sacrificing. Its a cleaning fee. Someone has to clean it why rob them? It is pathetic and the hosts and airbnb should be ashamed for catering to this sort of ignorance. 

Jennifer1961
Level 2
Springfield, OR

I just read them all and just don't see how we can continue as hosts with all these extra requirements.

Sandra1925
Level 4
El Paso, TX

@Catherine-Powell I have never had a problem with anyone not reserving my listings because I have not agreed the new enhanced Protocol. Actually my listings are usually booked. I plan to enroll but I am confused on weather you have to block your space for 24 hours or 48 hours each time we have a reservation. For one day bookings it does not seem practical since it may be blocked more days than it is open. I need to make a prudent decision weather to continue doing one day, increase the minimum day's for reservations, or remove listing. In some of the literature provided it states 24 hours when possible and in another place it states 48 hour. Can you or someone please advise me on the buffering or blocking requirement after each reservation?  Is it one day, two days or is it optional? Thank you in advance for your response. 

@Sandra1925 There is no requirement to block your calendar for any length of time in between bookings. You can sign up for the protocol and proceed to take reservations as you are currently doing now.

Marsha42
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I have signed up for enhanced cleaning since the start of this protocol but  I find it almost impossible to comply with some of the requirements   and believe some are unnecessary. For  example our couch throw pillows do not have a zipper for cleaning the covering and the inside filling takes forever to dry. To date, we have simply removed them but beautiful decorative features such as these have really compromised the aesthetics of the space we provide.  Also our curtains require a ladder to remove. Likewise our lovely bedspreads require dry cleaning and a quick cleaner turn around is not possible on Kauai, where our condo is located  Since most studies show that covid virus does not remain on  surfaces for more than a few  hours, if there is a 24 hour window between guests,  wouldn't that make the cleaning of  item such as  the items mentioned above unnecessary?  Is there any way we as hosts can impact these  requirements that Airbnb has now mandated?

Frank794
Level 2
Somerville, MA

Does anyone know how to REMOVE the enhanced clean setting? I no longer can force my vaccinated cleaners to wear a mask while cleaning the house.  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Frank794,

According to the safety policy, listings will be blocked from taking reservations unless they agree to the enhanced cleaning steps.

The vaccines lower the risk of your dying from the virus. You can still catch it and spread it if you don't wear a mask. My daughter did.

Catriona16
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

I would like to think that by now, we can all continue with our rigorous cleaning, as evidenced by many comments I have read. Personally, I believe a minimalist approach to the contents in your Airbnb space works quite well. I recently had a guest review that said they found "everything you needed, and nothing that you didn't"  

As a Brit living in the US, who stayed at a US Airbnb mid pandemic,  I was horrified to find many kitchen drawers full of multiple utensils that all served the same purpose. I knew that they could not have all been cleaned and sanitized! Clutter is something that we all, as hosts, need to pay attention to, and minimize. "Less is More"