Enquiry received from dodgy profile

Anita379
Level 2
Broadford, Australia

Enquiry received from dodgy profile

I received an enquiry from a profile no photo no ID checks no reviews. How is that possible? I thought Airbnb makes you verify your identity along with a photo verification before they can contact any hosts. 

Please advise

Anita

4 Replies 4

Hi Anita, yes I too have received an enquiry by an in verified guest who is new to Air bnb. Without realising they had no verification I confirmed the booking for July. I’ve messaged the guest to explain in a nice way that I need ID verification before July. If they don’t respond I’ll have to request a substantial deposit and if they don’t agree to that I suppose I’ll have to cancel. I’m new myself to Air bnb so any more advice on this from other experienced hosts would be great! Heather.

@Heather560  You say you're new to this. What do you mean by "requesting substantial deposit"? You can't take cash deposits from guests and Airbnb doesn't hold security deposits from guests-it is only there to show that it could  be charged if there are damages. (and you can only claim on it for actual damages, not for guests breaking house rules, like smoking inside or having a party). 

Then , if a guest causes damage, you have to first request to the guest that they pay for it from the security deposit. If they don't agree, then you have you go on a big song and dance with Airbnb, submitting photos, quotes for repairs or replacements, etc, etc. and that process has to be started immediately after the guest leaves. Now what percentage of the kind of guests who destroy things do you think readily agree to a request for payment?

If a guest is a responsible person, then they will usually inform the host of the damage long before they ever check out, like when the damage occurs- "Hi, XX, we just accidentally knocked the little lamp off the bedside table and it broke. So sorry. Just let us know replacement cost". That's just what decent people do, whether at an Airbnb, or friends and family. And if its not an expensive item, lots of hosts will just let it go, chalk it up to normal wear and tear, because the guest owned up to it right away.

But the nightmare guests who trash the place and leave without mentioning anything? "That was already broken when we checked in, no way I'm paying for that." 

There are some guests who don't say anything about the damages, but agree to pay up when you request a charge on the security deposit, but you can't bank on that.

So don't depend on Airbnb to have your back on this stuff- learn to vet guests well, read lots on this forum, ask guests questions before approving them if you're unsure, and require all the verifications, photos, etc, that make you feel comfortable.

Hi @Anita379 - anyone can send through an inquiry they don't need to be verified or have a photo. I'm set up with instant book that requires ID verification + 2 reviews, but I still get the odd inquiry without any ID or photos. I just respond to them that they need to have done ID and have a photo before I will consider taking a booking from them (I've also updated my house rules to include this + no third party bookings).

Hi Rachel

Thank you so much for your reply. I will also put the rules you have suggested into my house rules as I feel that those rules are important for our safety as well. 

Thsnks again

Anita