Entire House - Exterior Lock requirements

Chris1911
Level 2
Port Coquitlam, Canada

Entire House - Exterior Lock requirements

Door security seems important for most locations.  Some more so than others, but important none the less.  Are there any requirements for exterior building security for AirBnB.  If so, can you point me to them?

Some context.  Rented an AirBnB in North Toronto (York Area) for 1 week.  When we arrived we realized that the rear-door dead-bolt was well "dead".  It wouldn't turn.  There were signs for forced repair on the lock in the interior (someone tried to lock it with pliers - possibly to repair). I suspect owner or previous guest tried to repair. After waiting almost a full day for a reply on AirBnB then Owner suggested he would immediately send out a handy-man to fix, but 2-days later we heard nothing (he repeated his promise of "contacting" his handyman 2-days later, but we never heard anything).  After 5-days and 2 day before checkout we give up and resorting to living in a unsecured home in Toronto (Division D13), an area known for B&Es and top 10 division for sexual assault (near the railroad tracks).  We were not familiar with Toronto and didn't know what type of neighbourhood we would be in - we were OK with neighbourhood - just expecting better building security.  Also if someone stole our stuff there would've been no signs of forced entry (which is important for insurance). 

I had expensive camera gear I had to choose between taking with me all the time, leaving in the car  (locked on the street) or in the house (unlocked).

We were a family, but still worried about our stuff and our safety.

What security was availible:

1. front door coded numeric lock - unclear if codes are changed between guests (code = 5789)

- The simplicity of the code suggests no (although could recylcle between several codes)

- Is updating codes common practice?

2. wooden walkway gates to access exterior of home (with pull string latches)

3. rear door with screen - unlocked

4. video cameras: 3 (front door, facing pathway to back & facing rear-door) - not sure how this helps us.

Is there any recourse we can make post trip and is this something you should report a user for and under what paramters? 

0 Replies 0