Error with CSV files

Answered!
Sara952
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Error with CSV files

There's a relatively new error when downloading CSV files, but I reported this bug over a month ago and it's still not fixed. 

When downloading CSV files, there are no quotes around the different fields, so the title ends up in multiple cells if it has a comma in it, same with the 'earnings' amount. 

I'm having to go in and add quotes to thousands of entries in order to import my data in Excel and have it populate into the correct column. 

Please how can we get this fixed?

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sara952 

I do not recognize this problem.

A CSV file (Comma Separated Values) is a file where each field is separated by two comma's and will end up in one cell when succesfully imported in a spreadsheet.

Maybe your import feature is does not recognize the file correctly as a Comma Separated File, so then set it options manually .

Maybe this helps:

How to open csv files safely with microsoft excel

BTW If there is incidentally a comma in a text, like in a listing title, it can be easy corrected manually. If there are too many of such records, then perform a "find/replace" to the CSV file before importing it.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sara952 

I do not recognize this problem.

A CSV file (Comma Separated Values) is a file where each field is separated by two comma's and will end up in one cell when succesfully imported in a spreadsheet.

Maybe your import feature is does not recognize the file correctly as a Comma Separated File, so then set it options manually .

Maybe this helps:

How to open csv files safely with microsoft excel

BTW If there is incidentally a comma in a text, like in a listing title, it can be easy corrected manually. If there are too many of such records, then perform a "find/replace" to the CSV file before importing it.

I've been importing these specific CSV files in this way for 2 years into Google sheets and it has never had a problem importing them until now.  I checked my old downloads, previous CSV files had quotes around the listing description and earnings, they don't now.  If there's a way to fix it without going in and manually adding quotes to each line of those fields in the CSV file I'm all ears.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Sara952   Emiel has given you good advice.  My short answer is save the CSV file to your computer.  Then, use the Excel import wizard to open the file and fix the perceived comma problem.  By the way, I don't see this problem when I open the CSV file and convert it to excel.   

Scott
Administrator
Administrator
SF, CA

Hi @Sara952 since there are multiple types of CSV files in hosting tools, can you also share exactly which CSV file you're referring to?  Where are you downloading it from?  Thanks.

From the 'hosting dashboard' then 'reservations' then I filter by a specific month, then click 'export' then 'download as CSV'.  I've been doing this monthly for the past 2 years, this is a new issue that started in December 2020.

Thanks for clarifying @Sara952 and sorry for the inconvenience. We'll work on fixing this ASAP.

Ann32450
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Column headers etc. download fine and convert to excel fine -  but not information for our  listing?