Escalate a complaint

Escalate a complaint

I want to know how to escalate a complaint,

I have a so called case manager- **, who is meant to be dealing with my complaint regarding a refund to my credit card, which is not happening.

Does anyone know where I can go from here are there any legal bodies I can approach, ombudsman, etc

[*Title and name edited]

125 Replies 125

Is there a NSW complaint service or ombudsman for an Airbnb complaint?

Air B n B are becoming as high handed as Booking.com - this is NOT right. I find that the recent incident I had with Carmen completely unacceptable, and there appears to be nothing I can do about it.  I had to relocate (actually up grade) a guest over December and the guest unbeknown to me, complained to air b n b and was demanding a refund. I must point out that the guest at no time during his stay made any complaint or notice of his intention to complain.  I was contacted by Carmen with this message "I would like to hear your side of the story before any decisions are made on the case. I need to hear back from you no later than 0/17/2020 7:40PM EST. If I do not hear back from you by then I will have to make a ruling on the case with the documentation that I have available to me." So I duly replied with my side of the story and the next thing I know is the decision has been taken to give the client a 50% refund (valuing R over R 16 000)!!!!!!!  So why did I send my side of the story as it was COMPLETELY ignored!!!  There was no discussion had as to the amount of refund or my agreement of same???  

For me to paste the entire diatribe between Carmen and myself is a wast of time, and I must stipulate that I was not adverse to giving a refund, just that the amount of 50% was completely unfair and was not agreed to by me.

Has anyone else experienced similar ??

I am not letting it go and will go to the consumers board and ombudsman 

Hi all, 

I'm a host from Australia and I have been with Airbnb for more than a year. I'm currently having a dispute with a case manager who is forcing me to provide a 50% refund to a guest who complained they cannot access the pool and gym in our apartment because it is being renovated. The guest did not contact me at all regarding this issue and went straight to the resolution centre. They also waited until the 4th day of their 6 day stay to complain which meant i couldn't cancel their reservation without incurring significant financial penalties. 

The case manager told me it is Airbnb's policy that a 50% refund is provided by the host for missing amenities, but when i asked where is this policy stated, he back tracked and told me on 'travel issues' Airbnb has discretion.

The case manager also made no attempt to mediate  the situation. Initially when i was first contacted by the case manager regarding this issue, i was asked how i plan to resolve this issue, i offered a 5% discount since the guest had not made this issue known to me, but also because there is a free man-made beach within walking distance of the apartment. I was contacted by the case manager within an hour of replying who said a 50% refund is reasonable because the guest had paid for pool and gym services that they otherwise wouldn't have. I said even if that's the case, 50% refund (=$300) is excessive, but his response to this was external pricing of amenities are not of their concern. This is ridiculous since it is the premise the refund. 

I've written a length message back to the case manager asking for the process to dispute and escalate this case, but it has been two days and I've received no reply.  I'm thinking of referring this issue to the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission. But before i do that i want to attempt to escalate this issue with airbnb first. Does anyone know of a dispute contact for this issue? Any help is much appreciated. 

Kind regards 

Tony

Cathy814

Hi Tony,

have you had your case resolved ?

I am a host and having trouble with a past guest 

I cant get a hold of Airbnb in Sydney

Tsakane0
Level 2
Gauteng, ZA

Hi I need help, we booked accommodation with Airbnb to go to Durban for comrades marathon, now since the country is in a crisis we cancelled our reservations, i’ve Waiting for my refund for 10 days, decided to do a follow up only for some rude guy called Diago to tell me that our refund has been cancelled. I have messages from the host that confirm my refund. Can someone please tell me how I can get my refund from Airbnb. I need help

Rp1
Level 7
Winnipeg, Canada

Has anyone here ever taken legal action against AirBnB? I am now considering doing so following several attempts to let AirBnB resolve the matter at hand through conversation and their internal processes.  It's not looking good, and I feel like I actually have an easy case against them, I'd just rather avoid a legal battle that will ultimately damage our relationship.  That said, in anticipation, I am researching precedents. Feel free to respond here or message me directly.

Eileen316
Level 2
Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Hi Rp1 in Winnipeg, Canada

@Rp1  I am absolutely devastated in the manner AIRBNB have treated me. I would love to get a class action together and mount a legal case against them. They make the rules up as they go. They have just declined my Airbnb guarantee for damage. They use any excuse and don’t provide the T&Cs until after the event. Perhaps we can talk Eileen

count me in!  I have a number of gripes..  the biggest one that's been waiting for them to resolve since May,  and the easiest one, 2 weeks now.  

Let me know how it goes, im interested in doing the same. 

Keith511
Level 2
Ware, United Kingdom

Hi all how do post my complaint of a refund I still not received?

Thank you

Keithtoon

Airbnb Medival Execution practice. I am now a limited, super host account, for the crime committed they would not tell. They cancel the future guest, too, who was shocked no less. Airbnb support cannot tell what it is all about, but said, I can provide additional info helping to resolve the case, the case I don't know about.
I am in Airbnb Twilight Zone behind the Airbnb Wall, someone like Trump has built. They told me, wait for the case review by the Case Manager. The case I don't know, the crime I was not told about. 🤔

terrible.   I too feel like the wall is going up!   on many levels.  very very dispappointing as I used to think AirBNB was a service doing right by people!   not any more it seems. 😞

Andrea218
Level 10
United States

@Kim376 @Cairo3 @ahmad40 @Tessa48 @Myles10  has anyone been successful in reaching someone high up enough to make a prompt and sensible decision? in the old days of AirBnB that was possible; sadly, no longer; seems customer service/allegiance to hosts hasn't kept pace with their growth 😞  Similarly to your notes, I have pressing and unresolved issue right now, with a "guest" asking for check-in instructions, when I've made it clear due to her behavior in messages with me, that I'm not sure I want her in my house... I've asked her for a phone chat, hoping that might clarify things and allay my apprehension, but she refuses, saying she's all paid up and ready to roll in.. for 6 days now, I've been trying to get resolve; the one guy who actually took the case (instead of "escalating" it to another "team" ) has been unreachable for the last 2 days.   He told me everything was settled, that the "guest" realized her attitude was uncalled for & that she would need to abide with my rules, etc. were she to come, (rather than imposing her own), & that she's now ready to speak directly with. me as well ; when I tried setting up a phone chat, she refused - but here's the really odd part - she said, the case manager advised her  against talking with me directly.    At this point only he and the taped conversations would know for sure, and I've asked AirBnB to review those, since they are INCAPABLE of tracking down the guy who arbitrated - mostly on behalf of the guest emphasizing how much she wants to keep her reservation with me - so far no word back from anyone, and her (scheduled) arrival date is tomorrow.     aaaargh! how much time I've spent on this! 

I have never been so disappointed with any company's "lack of help" as I have been with Airbnb. Total waste of my time on multiple occasions to actually get help. All I receive is buffed up auto responses from people but NO actual help to reach a resolve.

My most recent concern was Covid related, absolutely NO help from the resolutions center.

Unless things change then I will be moving away from Airbnb, in fact I have already started.

One very disappointed Superhost here.

Have just posted the following on the social media page run for my home.....

"Another unfortunate Airbnb experience. Someone from Greater Sydney wanting to come in last minute (tonight), only just joined & has no reviews. Appeared to get a bit narky when the request was declined.

Has prompted us to block future Airbnb bookings until the end of March or the dust starts to settle.

We will, as always, honour our existing bookings & will take enquiries via this page but we feel that Airbnb does not adequately protect Hosts & sadly appears to lack duty of care during this Covid horror."