Ex partner running air b n b at our house without my permission.

Joanne430
Level 1
Borth, United Kingdom

Ex partner running air b n b at our house without my permission.

We still have a large family home. Ex partner lives there full time. We still visit on weekends and holidays so we can catch up with friends etc. 

Ex partner has set up an account and last night 4 people turned up unannounced. I was totally shocked. They looked uncomfortable too.

Can I stop him doing this? We are tennants in common. He doesn't share any of the profit with me as he says he's doing it to pay the bills. He doesn't have a regular job.

5 Replies 5
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Joanne430 you need to have evidence that he can't host on Airbnb, some kind of paperwork so that when you flag his profile you have something to support your claims with. Airbnb might remove the listing but that is all they can do. He can relist possibly or he can list on another platform and still host. It is best if you handle this directly with him and come to a mutual agreement, because just removing it from Airbnb once might not be enough. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Totally agree with @Ana1136 .  Your situation is with your ex-partner is a civil issue that you have to resolve with him.  As tenants in common that usually means you have equal rights to the home.  However, I am not a solicitor so perhaps you need to consult with one.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Joanne430 

if you are tenants then you have a contract with your landloard. Read the contract and you will  find out if you and your partner are allowed to sublet the house. If not then talk to your partner and tell him you could both have your lease terminated if he doesn't stop renting it at Airbnb.

Joanne430
Level 1
Borth, United Kingdom

Hi thanks. I should say we jointly own the house so there is no landlord. I can't believe it is a civil issue only though!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Joanne430 this is between you and him. It is unlikely that Airbnb will do anything unless you have some legal paperwork that proves he can't host in that property.