Exceptions for cancellation/higher review by Airbnb

Answered!
Tim2736
Level 2
Antioch, IL

Exceptions for cancellation/higher review by Airbnb

After a year and a half of isolation, and self-imposed home confinement, a ray of sunshine came in the form of two Covid-19 shots!  We believed it was time to resume our annual fishing trip of over 50 years!  I booked the trip for my group consisting of four brothers and a friend; retired first-responders, firemen, police officers, and Vietnam-era disabled veterans, (one 82nd Airborne, ex-paratrooper, and one Bronze Star recipient!)  About six weeks before the trip, my wife was diagnosed with advanced stage, colon cancer, a heart issue, and a spot on her lung.  Surgery was scheduled for a week before the trip, then tests, more tests, a long recovery time, and uncertainty!  My trip was over!  My wife is my priority.  I contacted Airbnb and the host and asked, (if we paid the second installment when due in Sep, would they allow us to pick dates for the following year, as we would be paid in full, based on their availability for next year, and they could still rent out our dates, this year!)  A win-win, I thought?  The hosts' answer was, "If you can't make the trip, cancel the trip"!  I got that reply twice!  Not exactly accommodating, welcoming or inclusive!  They have a strict policy, and must stick to it!  No, "sorry to hear about your wife"!  Or, "let's see what we can do"!  Instead, I got, we have return customers who have the first choice for dates, and the dates you want for next year are taken"!  I got their meaning loud and clear!  No help from these hosts!  Out of respect for my wife and me, the rest of the group decided not to go under the circumstances, even after my wife told them not to cancel on her account!  I had no choice but to cancel the reservation before the second payment was due.  Airbnb then advised me that since I canceled before the second payment was due, and the hosts refused to work with us, I would get a $12.24 refund!  The cost of the trip was $1866.33, total.  Airbnb states on the reservation confirmation that if a guest cancels before Sep 9th, (in my case), the guest would receive a 50% refund, minus the $200.00 Airbnb platform service fee for a trip we never took?  All I get from their representatives on the message board is patronizing, disingenuous empathy.  "We understand your situation, but we can't help either"!  The Airbnb rep did apologize for the 'misunderstanding and confusion, as she put it in the wording and meaning of the refund statement on the confirmation.  I paid Airbnb, a $933.00 deposit, and received a $12.24 refund because I canceled the trip for reasons not covered under their policies which were changed or modified because hosts were upset and complaining that some guests were falsely claiming 'extenuating circumstances' to cancel reservations for emergency illness and other unforeseen medical or family issues, and that was not fair to the hosts, according to the hosts!  Several appeals to the Airbnb rep, to escalate this issue for a higher review have been ignored.  Airbnb charged me $933.00 for the first installment down-payment that I now owe my credit card company.  I also owe the trip members, $200.00, each, ($800.00 total) for the deposits I collected from them, for a trip none of us took!?  I'm $1,733.00, out-of-pocket!  Does that sound like a fair resolution, or in keeping with Airbnb's stated corporate mission goals of fairness to all their partners, hosts, and guests alike?  My wife faces some life and death medical issues, pain, suffering, and an uncertain future, and no exception can be offered or worked out by Airbnb, or the hosts?  I'm asking for consideration for a higher review of a policy that has me beholding to two parties, each with different policies and each with a common vested interest to the exclusion of the guest!  How is that fair?  Airbnb and the hosts' have me trapped/caught in a situation that allows only them to refuse a reasonable method of relief that I never agreed to!  I do see a sad irony.  The outstanding humanitarian efforts that Airbnb has gone in committing their worldwide resources to help people fleeing war-torn countries is a true humanity effort and goodwill that deserves to be admired, and makes them leaders in the industry!  By collaborating and working with their hosts/partners to make accommodations available to people in great need, from other countries, living with the pain, suffering, and burden of losing loved ones and other family tragedies.  I'm not asking anyone for pity, just fairness.   I can only ask Airbnb to consider re-thinking their extenuating circumstances policy to be a little fairer to guests or allow an exception to me and my family, under these circumstances.  Please comment!  

1 Best Answer

@Tim2736  When it was suggested that guests purchase travel insurance, it doesn't matter that airbnb doesn't offer it. Travel insurance is available to any traveler, through many different insurers, regardless of whether you have booked flights a hotel, or an Airbnb. 

No one anticipates having to cancel a trip. And many, if not most people may not go to the extra expense- I never have myself. But it's just like having house or car or health insurance- it's a matter of deciding how much risk you are willing to take should things go south.

View Best Answer in original post

32 Replies 32

Thank you, Michelle,  That's pretty much what I came up with too!  Because I reimbursed my group, family, and a friend, I'm out $920.76.  Had I known that it was a non-refundable deposit I never would have booked it.  There must be 50 or more pages on "How you won't get a refund from Airbnb's policies'!  Ad I never agreed to unfair rules and treatment or to waive my rights due to an open-ended policy!   I did what you suggested, the hosts' just repeated, "If you can't make the trip, cancel the trip"!  No idea why they would be so unpleasant and unwilling to take a paid-in-full reservation, as I offered to do, and apply it to a mutually agreeable date next year and still be able to rent the weeks we had to someone else?   I'm also working on Mark's suggestions. Thanks again! 

@Tim2736  I can't speak for that particular host, since I have no idea what their motivation is, but I can tell you that a whole lot of hosts suffered enormously through the Covid EC cancellation policy, when travel went to basically zero, and where Airbnb automatically overrode any in-place cancellation policies hosts may have had, in order to refund everything to guests.

Hosts that may have had months of  bookings, and counting on that income,  suddenly found themselves with nothing at all.  Zip. Zero. Nada.

That is possibly why the rules were amended, and the cancellation policy was not overridden in your case, as an extenuating circumstance, and why some hosts may not be amenable to full refunds.

I'm not suggesting their situation is in any way tougher than yours, right now. Just trying to present a slightly different perspective. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's illness and hope she will have a positive outcome. @Tim2736 

I am a little confused though as to why you wouldn't have taken out travel insurance. You mention you didn't know Airbnb offer this. They don't, they aren't a travel insurance company,  but there are thousands of companies that offer travel insurance that you could have used.

I was also confused by your comment that you didn't know the booking terms under which you booked in terms of the cancellation policy you chose to book under was one with a 'strict cancellation policy'. Before you confirm the booking you need to click twice to say you have read and booked the cancellation policy you booked under.

I do appreciate you are frustrated but

1. it is not Airbnb's or the hosts fault that you didn't taken out appropriate travel insurance when choosing accommodation with a strict cancellation policy

2. it is not the hosts fault that you wanted to swop to  alternative dates for the following year that were already booked on the host's cancellation policy. (why didn't you check to see what other dates might be available and consider those)

3. It is not the hosts or airbnb's fault that your friends decided not to travel to minimise your losses

You're right!  It's 'MY' fault!  You missed #4.  It's not the hosts' fault that I didn't anticipate unfair treatment from Airbnb, and the Hosts', and didn't know in advance my wife was going to be diagnosed with cancer six weeks before the trip!?  My GOD, LADY,  you are truly a piece of work!  Let me guess, you're a "SUPER-HOST" TOO? 

@Tim2736 Quit bashing the hosts who are not in complete agreement and sympathy with your position. @Helen3 is not wrong, nor was she rude to you. You asked for comments, and you are getting them. Being rude is absolutely uncalled for. 

I'm not looking for sympathy or agreement.  And being snide, self-righteous, and condescending to me is uncalled for too!  If Airbnb offered travel insurance I would have purchased it had I been aware the deposit was nonrefundable or offer a way to resolve it reasonably.   Of course, it's not the hosts' fault that I asked for alternate dates!  I did ask, and any dates I asked for weren't available!?  My four brothers and a friend decided not to travel, out of respect to my wife, and me.   I felt obligated to reimburse them for something they had no control over either!        

@Tim2736 Valid points have been brought up here. Go ahead and ignore them,  just keep standing on the same spot, and repeating yourself over and over, if it serves you better than to listen to and consider the comments you asked for. Labeling respectfully made comments that are valid, important and add to the conversation as snide, self righteous and condescending is wrong, and frankly says a great deal about you.

Best of luck to your wife for restored health, and to you for your desired outcome. 

@Tim2736  It must be me, I'm not getting how you did an 'over payment'?  You say the full cost of the trip would have been $1600, but you only paid the first of 2 installments, the $900.  What is the $400 deposit for?

Have you gone back to your host since this all started?  Your initial message said the host told you the dates you want to rebook were booked.  So, maybe try again and tell them that given your wife's condition and the amount of money, you would be very grateful if they could find a way to rebook the trip next year at a later date.  Tell the host you're flexible, look on the host's calendar to see what time/months look like they have availability.

I understand you are upset, but you can't afford to further alienate the host.  If an apology from you, as new to Airbnb and not fully understanding the cancellation policy, and being further distracted by your wife's health issues might soften the host, do it.  

You could go through again the extenuating circumstances policy, but since they changed it last year, they eliminated some of the elements.

Thanks, Mark.

The trip total was $1,866.  All five of us anted-up, $400, each ($2000).  The difference, $134, is the 'overpayment' I speak of, it's a built-in credit towards additional trip costs, food, gas, etc.  After canceling I sent each of the four other guys their $400, back ($1,600).  It wasn't their fault my wife got cancer and 'I' had to cancel the trip.  It was the fair thing to do, in my mind.  They volunteered to

opt out and not go out of respect for my wife, family, and friendship.  I'm out the first deposit I paid on my credit card to Airbnb, $933.00.  I know it's a business, but these 'Super-Host's' showed no interest in working anything out!  Why aren't there any consequences from Airbnb for them?  Especially under the circumstances!  I offered to pay the second payment now and use the reservation net year, based on openings.  They would have a paid-in-full booking for 2022, and could have relisted our reservation for this year in the 30 days left after I canceled!   Prime fishing and fall color-time, in Northern Wisconsin,  Sept 16-20th.  Hey, it's only $993.00!?   Airbnb should have stepped in at that point and said, wait a minute, that ain't right, let's see what we can work!  That's not what we're about!  It's apparent that Airbnb is host-centered and bias.  Airbnb even states in their policy change that it was done because so many hosts were complaining how unfair the old policy of letting guests cancel for extenuating circumstances was to them!?  Really?   It's ironically sad that Airbnb does some pretty great work making accommodations available for refugees from war-torn countries but won't consider a higher Airbnb review for an exception to help 'my guys', Vietnam-era disabled veterans, a Bronze Star recipient, an ex-paratrooper, police, and firefighter, first responders, or their family members. 

My wife starts chemotherapy in a few weeks.  Surgery found a tumor, the future is uncertain but hopeful, and we have a ways to go!  Life ain't fair!  It's OK, we know the drill, "Adapt, Improvise, Overcome, Survive"!  We'll take it a day at a time, just like we have so far!  Thanks for your help, and great advice, my friend.  Tim, ex-82nd Airborne paratrooper, and former police officer!                    

@Tim2736  When it was suggested that guests purchase travel insurance, it doesn't matter that airbnb doesn't offer it. Travel insurance is available to any traveler, through many different insurers, regardless of whether you have booked flights a hotel, or an Airbnb. 

No one anticipates having to cancel a trip. And many, if not most people may not go to the extra expense- I never have myself. But it's just like having house or car or health insurance- it's a matter of deciding how much risk you are willing to take should things go south.

That may be true Sarah!   But the cancelation policy Airbnb changed this year, swung too far to the right, from the guest's perspective!  It's not fair or equitable.  Charging half the cost of the trip for canceling your trip for something you have no control over isn't a penalty, it's punishment!   It says, in effect, I'll bet you think twice about ever canceling again, for something you don't have any control over?  Does that make any sense?    

@Tim2736  The cancellation policy didn't change this year. The Strict policy has always been a loss of 50% for cancelling.

You seem to feel you've been singled out for punishment, when in fact, you simply didn't bother to read the cancellation policy in full,  which you yourself admitted.

@Sarah977  I think they did change the extenuating circumstances policy, it used to include something about 'medical emergencies' didn't it?  This probably still would not have applied to @Tim2736  because his wife wasn't one of the travelers. 

Now the only 'extenuating circumstances' surround government mandated no travel issues/advisories/natural disasters.  I know it used to cover medical issues because hosts used to complain that X guest got a refund for saying that Y was in the hospital w/out providing any proof.

@Mark116  Yes, the EC policy changed. Tim said the cancellation policy changed, perhaps in error, which is what I responded to.

And yes, even under the old EC policy, illness of someone who wasn't on the booking was never covered.

Mark, I did make them aware that my wife was ill, through the Airbnb representative and follow-up emails from me.  The hosts just didn't want to work with us, was the impression I got.  I have no idea why?  You're right, no one wants to alienate either party!   I saw the change in the Airbnb policy.  It swung too far to the right!   People are going to have legitimate issues for not being able to make a trip.   A no refund policy for half the cost o the trip isn't fair or equitable, it's punishment for something you have no control over!  There has to be a better solution. And, Airbnb has to be the leader in making it happen.  What their policy does now, alienates guests!  Thanks for your good advice and comments.