Excessive Toilet paper usage, what am I required to provide for guest

Answered!
Laura179
Level 2
Virginia Beach, VA

Excessive Toilet paper usage, what am I required to provide for guest

Hi, I had 4 guests who checked in last night at 11pm, this morning I was to meet the guests and familiarize them with the area and home. The guests asked about , requiring more toilet paper. I was amazed that 4 people could go through 4 rolls of toilet paper in less than 9hours, and they had gone to sleep when they arrived, and had just woken up the hour prior to my arrival. How much toilet paper should I be required to provide. My guests are only in the house for 3 days, if they go through 4 rolls in 9 hours, that's 32 rolls by the end of their stay.....help

1 Best Answer
Amber18
Level 3
Perth, Australia

We rent out whole houses not rooms in our house and we clearly put in the description that there is toilet paper on arrival but that guests are expected to purchase their own after they use what's in the house. We have had the same problems before with one guest who went through 4 rolls in one day. Also most of our guests stay a week to 4 weeks and they can't expect us to drop off a truck load each week. Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

52 Replies 52

Thank you. I will instruct the cleaning people to make sure there is plenty of everything. Diane

@Doug-And-Diane0 I agree with not running out of TP. My thought is that they are paying for every day they stay, why shouldn't the "essentials" be the same throughout?

Thank you, Cathy. We agree and our guests checked in yesterday, well supplied with all of the essentials. Diane

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Laura179

I think it would be more distrubing if they did not use any at all, I had four adults stay for 3 nights and they used less than one roll between them figure that one out!

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Very strange, Cormac. 🙂 Diane

they probably bought their own and used it all. 

Juliana113
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

As a guest, how much toilet paper should I expect to be provided?  We arrived for a 4 day stay and there was about a 1/2 a roll in the bathroom.  The host provided more (4 rolls) after several requests (as a "favor").  Was I out of line asking for more?

Most of our guests stay 2-3 nights. We provide a full roll of toilet tissue on the holder plus 3-4 spare rolls for each bathroom. For the recent guests who stayed two weeks, we placed about 6 extra rolls in each bathroom. Most of it was left. It sounds unreasonable for a host to provide only 1/2 a roll for any length of stay.

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Laura179  @Cormac0  @Doug-And-Diane0  @Juliana113  @Cathy172 

Excessive Toilet Paper Usage  -- Greatest Hits

This is such a touchy subject that it's difficult to roll with given the broad areas it's expected to cover and the differing expectations from competing constituencies who prefer over the top or under in terms of delivery and let's not get into the myriad techniques of wiping;  I know for a fact there were rolls of toilet paper in the old out-house made of $100 bills that were so flimsey my Uncle Seamus said they were worse than the old corn husks they used to use.  Ouch!

I was amazed that 4 people could go through 4 rolls of toilet paper in less than 9hours, and they had gone to sleep when they arrived, and had just woken up the hour prior to my arrival. How much toilet paper should I be required to provide. My guests are only in the house for 3 days, if they go through 4 rolls in 9 hours, that's 32 rolls by the end of their stay.....help

Imagine all the ways people waste it - blowing their nose, taking off their make up, wrapping up their monthly femine products into neat, tidy bundles, lining the toilet seat before sitting down,  stuffing their bras, winding it around breakables in their luggage, cleaning off the countertop, drying their foreheads,.... the list could go on and on besides the obvious copious use of tissue to clean their bums.

As a tip I have found by squeezing the loo roll so that it is Oval rather than Round stops the free flow pull effect and makes it harder to pull a wad of paper in one go.

Result, TP usage dramatic drop in usage

I think it would be more distrubing if they did not use any at all, I had four adults stay for 3 nights and they used less than one roll between them figure that one out!

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

That's my personal choice, after discovering that guests who run out of something will replace with stinky, toxic, horrible products that I have to dispose of when they check out.  I am mildly sensitive to them, but others I know are highl sensitive.

When I was younger, toilet rolls had stack of sheets on them and lasted for ages. Nowadays domestic rolls are short and fluffy and run out in a day or two. They are a con to consumers.

Look around for the brands which have more sheets [1000 Vs 500] etc. These type are more tightly packed on the roll and last longer.

So in wrapping up this expose I got to say I'm wiped out, exhumed, expectorated, expulled.

Thumbs up if you like a post.

@John1574et al

I would like to point that the above post is an amalgam of about five different posts with my name attached to it and I’m not quite sure what the intention of this presentation is?

I think a line under each contributor would have been more appropriate.

My guests of late are bingeing on TP. I rent rooms, and at one point 3 were going through a double roll a day. This is around $2 a day plus gas and Costco membership. 

I REALLY like the idea of the industrial roll. I am using industrial kleenex and it definitely lasts longer. I also use Costco laundry detergent and keep the Tide hidden, though one has requested it due to sensitivity.

Other cost savers are to put the remains of leftover shampoo into the soap dispenser, and leaving branded but bought cheap shower gel - only one at a time.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Laura179

Google it, A chap did a study of his toilet paper usage over a year which he felt ironed out any anomalies, it’s a very interesting read if you're anally retentive, (My little joke).

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Cormac0

Just sloppy cutting and pasting, Cormac.  It is a Best of . . .  a Greatest Hits . . . of the excessive toilet paper usage thread. Except for my opening paragraph it is all from the thread.  Just some light hearted fun to get a "huh!" out of the forum.

I was searching for something when I came across the thread.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

We are currently struggling with what to do about the issue of excessive TP use. My past few guests have used at least a roll a day, with the most recent group of two adults and one child using 6 rolls in 4 days.  

We are on a septic tank and also host remotely, so I'm concerned about blockages while we're away. Of course, we don't want people to run out of TP, but I feel if it's there, it will be used, so we have decided to leave out only two rolls in each of the two bedrooms and hope for the best. 

I have read through other replies on this thread, but any thoughts on this policy? 

Davi13
Level 2
Costa Mesa, CA

I have had this problem since I started hosting nearly a year ago.  I rent just a room, not a whole house and I am constantly amazed at the amount of TP used in such a short period of time.  Considering that I DO provide boxes of tissue in the bathroom as well that doesn't get used up as quickly.

I had to change from the really nice expensive stuff to the cheapy TP so that my poor pipes wouldn't clog and to cut the cost down.  I have also found that there is not always that empty cardboard piece in the trash recepticle which leads me to believe that people are actually taking the extra rolls when they check out.  :'( ugh!

Hotels have about an 80% markup on what they charge per night vs the actual cost of room maintanence/supplies.  This is not the case in my situation (and probably most who just rent a room) so it does get a bit annoying when people treat your space like a hotel and just take additional supplies because they are available in the room.  Raising the room rate is not really an option as there is a lot of Airbnb competition in my area and to stay booked I need to stay competitevly priced.

I'm finding most recently that people are starting to refill their personal travel bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body wash and lotion with my room supplies as well.  This is a new one for me. 

I guess as I continue to host I will be constantly surprised by new and/or unusual travel habits.

On a positive note,  I can say thankfully that eveyone that has stayed with me has been very pleasant.  No nightmares, demanding people or anyone who has made hosting uncomfortable.  A few rule breakers but just minor infractions.  I've read a lot of difficult hosting conumdrums on this site and I am grateful to have not encountered these types of guests as of yet.