Excessive Toilet paper usage, what am I required to provide for guest

Answered!
Laura179
Level 2
Virginia Beach, VA

Excessive Toilet paper usage, what am I required to provide for guest

Hi, I had 4 guests who checked in last night at 11pm, this morning I was to meet the guests and familiarize them with the area and home. The guests asked about , requiring more toilet paper. I was amazed that 4 people could go through 4 rolls of toilet paper in less than 9hours, and they had gone to sleep when they arrived, and had just woken up the hour prior to my arrival. How much toilet paper should I be required to provide. My guests are only in the house for 3 days, if they go through 4 rolls in 9 hours, that's 32 rolls by the end of their stay.....help

1 Best Answer
Amber18
Level 3
Perth, Australia

We rent out whole houses not rooms in our house and we clearly put in the description that there is toilet paper on arrival but that guests are expected to purchase their own after they use what's in the house. We have had the same problems before with one guest who went through 4 rolls in one day. Also most of our guests stay a week to 4 weeks and they can't expect us to drop off a truck load each week. Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

52 Replies 52

I  buy 1.4 L bottles of branded shampoo that last over a year. Bar soap is a waste of good soap. But if you have good leftovers, shred and soak them for handsoap (we go through a lot of that, too) .

One essential here is a large container of hand gel disinfectant in the bathroom, and, lots of towels. Cuts down on germs and washloads respectively. 

Another nice touch is a bouquet or two of cheap carnations. Put a spritz of bleach in the water and they last longer.

Alicia71
Level 2
San Diego, CA

What's a good brand of toilet paper, especially the 1000 sheet rolls? Thanks.

Mary1135
Level 8
Bar Harbor, ME

Haha, I have said this before too!  'What are they doing, eating it?'  I can't believe how much toilet paper they use!

Brian823
Level 3
Thornwood, NY

Experienced similar issue that draws me to this post. 2 guests used 4 rolls in 4 days, and asking for more. We are getting worried if they put all the toilet paper down to the toilet and we may have a sewage back up again. 

Comments from Amber is really helpful. Will put it in our listing. 

Thanks

Brian

Tongila0
Level 2
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

My curiosity about our guests who request a new TP roll every day drew me to this thread. My husband and I wondered if they were eating it or taking them. This is especially curious for the guests that request a new roll the next day after arrival. We always start them off with a fresh roll that is still sealed, and there is a partially spent one in the closet. So we should see at least two empty rolls in the trash when they leave, right?  Now I understand, they eat them and the cardboard rollers as well! So I have decided to stop putting in the Charmin', which obviously, is the most tasty.

Donna14
Level 2
Los Altos Hills, CA

This is huge concern for us because we have sensitive toilets. A couple for 4 days used 3 rolls and they didn’t tell us they clogged the toilet. I found that they started using the trash basket instead. $500 and a canceled guest ($300 a night) was close to $1000 loss. I hate signs, but I need to add that “excessive use in one sitting will clog” . Looking for ideas on proper signage.

Efrosyni1
Level 2
Cranston, RI

I found that when parents came to visit their kids at college, they would take my toilet paper and cleaning supplies to supply their kids with my products.  I started to ration out how many garbage bags, rolls of toilet paper, coffee pods, number of Kleenex boxes, laundry detergent, etc, I would leave for the guests to use.  I leave enough out that is reasonable for their stay depending on number of guests and days of stay.  If guests stay for a extended stays, I do expect them to purchase their own supplies after they use the supply I leave for them.  We also have an older sewer system in the neighborhood, so I do have a picture frame posted above the toilet to remind guests to not flush anything but toilet paper as it will clog... and I think that helps if they know that heavy usage of toilet paper will back up the toilet.  It seems to have helped.

I have been in this industry for about 30 years. I have always put 1 roll per bathroom as part of the welcome package. I have noticed that with Airbnb guests expect enough toilet roll to last their entire stay. Many even expect more teas, coffee, shampoo whatever is in the welcome package (so the more you put in the welcome package the more they want). I need to remind them that it is self -catering but not sure how to word it. Does anyone have any idea on how to word it politely and without offending?  Many thanks