Excessive frying or vaping? Sticky grimey deposit on all surfaces throughout home

Excessive frying or vaping? Sticky grimey deposit on all surfaces throughout home

For any hosts, we really recommend building in regular cleanings into your longer booking, for maintenance.

After a 4 month stay guest left, there is a sticky film on literally everything in the house. We tried to clean a glass coffee table over 6 times and it just smears around like a tough film. Same with mirrors, floors, paintings. It did not smell like smoke at all. When asked, the guest said they pan fried a lot of salmon. The apartment is 1200 SF and long. The kitchen is in the back and it’s not open concept. The film is on stuff in the front of the house too. We fear everything may be ruined, and will experiment with various cleaners. Anyone have experience with this? Could it be vape juice? We’d like to know as to be even more strict about this rule

We are superhosts who got screwed with months of cancellations and full refunds, and rented our space on a lease for 6 months to keep up with our expenses. We applied the same house rules to the lease. They were very nice people who stayed with us before and found our listing on another long term rental site. They may be telling the truth. Either way, anyone have experience with this? How do I clean this residue? And do you build in cleanings for longer term stays? 

2 Replies 2
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I just googled advice for cleaning vape residue, @Aleksandra101 . Try vinegar on the floors, and straight rubbing alcohol on the glass. Rub in baking soda on the counters. Don't know what to say about your paintings. 

It might be the frying. An elderly relative of mine didn't smoke, but her whole house was sticky from the frying she did every day. We were kids, and we used the usual 1970s stuff when we helped her clean -- a window cleaner called Windex and a powdered cleanser called Ajax -- but I think vinegar and baking soda would have done as well. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Paint thinner will take the film off the glass and mirror surfaces quickly and easily. Could work on other unpainted surfaces without destroying them, but experiment on a small, non-visible area first.

@Aleksandra101