Excluding people who don't have iphones - technology imperialism

Georgina33
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Excluding people who don't have iphones - technology imperialism

I am an airbnb member, not a host yet.  I don't have an iphone or smartphone.

Yet when trying to book a room, it became impossible, because they wanted me to photograph my driving license and upload apps!?  I don't have a device that can do this.  

I'm starting to feel like I can't even use air bnb.

This feels like technological imperialism, the arrogance of assuming that everyone has this kind of device.  

Feel so angry with air bnb right now.  

11 Replies 11
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

@Georgina33,

You dont need a smartphone. You can scan your ID to your computer or flash drive and attach it from there. I am sure a local library or office supply store will have scanning services. That being said, you may find it difficult to travel using AirBnB without a smartphone (communicating with hosts, getting directions, checkin/checkout instructions).

I wouldn't call it "technological imperialism or arrogance" they are a web based company, not a local store.

Georgina33
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

I notice you didn't want to put my post on your Community!!!

There was on where to upload a photo, only an app or use of a camera. 

Libraries are all shut right now. 

I can communicate with people using my talk n text phone, and enjoy using maps for directions. 

And please don't patronise me, ie 'not a local store' ,  I am aware they are a tech based company, but they are assuming a level, that not everyone has, thereby excluding people. 

@Georgina33  Airbnb is an online platform, by its nature it excludes anyone who doesn't have access to either a smart phone or a computer.  You could use Airbnb solely from a desktop, and could inform hosts to telephone you with any pertinent information about any stay leading up to/during a trip, but many hosts won't be as comfortable because there is then no paper trail to document any conversations.  As for uploading your ID, I'd guess you could scan it and then upload it via a regular computer.  If you don't have a scanner, you would probably have to find a friend with either a smart phone or a scanner who can assist.  

@Mark116  Even a scanner isn't necessary. If you take a photo with a normal camera (not a phone camera) that has a memory card in it, you can then take that card and stick it in your computer. You transfer the photo from the card to the computer, then upload that to the Airbnb site.

That is how all my listing photos were done.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Georgina33   This is a discussion forum for hosts and guests who try to help each other out. No one here has anything to do with your posts being posted here- but there are sometimes tech glitches which prevent posts from appearing. So there is no need to be rude to other people who try to offer suggestions to you.

You don't need a smart phone to open an account or book a place, but you do need access to a computer to do what is required. If you don't have even that, then, no, you won't be able to use an online booking platform, because, well, they are online.

If you have a friend or relative who has a computer and can help you out, you could get a photo posted that way. But if you don't use a computer or smart phone at all, then you would have no way of making reservations or checking on the status of them, or receiving necessary information from hosts.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Georgina33 I'm a host who uses a laptop, cos I don't have a smartphone either! I uploaded a crude photo of my passport by taking a snapshot using my £5 Tesco mobile - (not smart!) I then uploaded the pic to my laptop, and from there to the Airbnb site - despite my aged lack of tech savvie. It was surprisingly easy!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

..... I say this to encourage @Georgina33 , not to put you down, nor belittle you for not having done the same!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I've only had a smart phone for a year or so. Have been happily hosting for many years using a pc. Many of my international guests have not had  access to phones whilst travelling but we've managed fine. It's possible but not as easy.

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I'd imagine someone feels angry about Microsoft that doesn't allow him/her to use Windows 10 system without a computer. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I don't have a smartphone. I've been hosting multiple listings for 3 years without one and have traveled as a guest a few times. Life without a smartphone is the simplest life there is.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I do have a smart phone, but I only got it because I needed it as a hot spot to get internet where I live.

For years I only used it for that, using an old school dumb phone for calling and texting.

Then I decided to start using it for texting and calling, as well, but still keep my old phone charged up and on, because many people who i don't call regularly only have my old number. So I can answer that old phone, but don't call out on it, because I don't pay for time on it.

Then my little digital camera, which I loved, died, so I had to start using the phone for taking photos.

But that's the extent of my cell phone use- never used the Airbnb app, or Whatsapp, or any other app and still do my emailing on the laptop. Typing on the phone keyboard drives me crazy.