Expected services

Jannike0
Level 2
Oslo, NO

Expected services

How can I ask airbnb how they make guests believe that they will get service as if they were in a five star hotel, even though they pay one tenth (!!!) of the price for an ordinary hotel room, for a whole studio? 

Seriously. If having airbnb guests cost me almost as much as it takes to run my place, what is airbnb thinking of? I have been suggested to take as little as 25 $ for a large studio, fully equipped, private entrance, private laundry room, private garden area, 10 min to citycenter etc etc. Has airbnb no idea of where I'm living? (In one of the most expensive cities in the world).

Jannike

7 Replies 7
Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Just ignore their price tips and set the price for your studio that you find adequate. Their tips are really too low!

Totally agree, their prices are absolutely ridiculous!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I view AirBnB as a booking agency,  nothing more. The rest (including price setting) is up to me.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Always remember that Airbnb is working in their own interests - they can be a great partner, but do your own pricing research. In my area, Airbnb suggests about 1/3 what we can actually charge, which is still less than the hotels.

As for expectations, your house rules and description should give an accurate view of what your guests get (and might show them reality, not Airbnb's marketing version!)

@Jannike0

You could probably double your prices and get away with it :))  Look at your competition in your area and price accordingly.  With the price suggestions from airbnb it would not really be worth the hassle and personally I would not be able to make a profit at all as I need a caretaker to do the changeovers.  

I have recently released some days last minute and increased the price a little - still like hot potatoes !

If you have time, turn off instant book and communicate with your guests before accepting.  This way you are more likely to get the guests you prefer.

You can give your guests the 5* treatment by providing little things that do not cost the earth.  

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Jannike0 you asked "Has airbnb no idea of where I'm living?" The answer is "no", AirBnB is just a platform, there aren't hundreds of minions at AirBnB HQ looking at your location. You control what you charge and what services you offer. Turn off smart pricing and tips and charge what you think is the correct rate. And make sure your description is completely 100% accurate abut your place and what you provide.

Emanuele124
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

@Jannike0

Actually it's a bit worse.
Since last years proper hosts like me (and I suppose you) pay for rental taxes on short terms rentals like most of AirBnb.
But, a lot of people don't, and AirBnb doesn't offer any way to make those almost 20% taxes transparent to the customers.
Until the Taxation autorithy in Norway decides as it has happened in other countries in Europe that AirBnb should send over transactions history for each year to them we're basically suffering from a quite unfair form of competition 😞