Extenuating circumstances

AnneMarie74
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

Extenuating circumstances

We started Airbnbing our cabin last summer. This June, for the first time I had to cancel on a guest. Our porch was being repaired and my contractor was not finished and would not be finished in time. There were tools and wood being stored in the house and no surface on the steps yet. I was extremely embarrassed,

apologized profusely, offered a discount for her next booking with us and and the guest said it was no problem that she understood. Then I started getting nasty messages from Airbnb about canceling on a guest and that I would be thrown off and now have no hope of being a super host. Now that same cancellation shows up as “ canceled 2 days before arrival”. There is no mention that the reservation was made the same day as it was canceled.... 

Guests cancel on me at the last minute all the time and I cheerfully say no problem. I have tried contacting Airbnb but can find no way to do so. I find this whole experience very frustrating! So frustrating in fact that I have closed off my calendar and am looking at other options!

9 Replies 9
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

This is the standard response to a host cancellation. It's better to call Airbnb before cancelling to explain "extenuating circumstances" but you might get some recourse from customer service with an after-the-fact explanation if you call them.

Do you happen to know customer services number, I can not find a listing

Thank you for this information. I would have called but I could not find a number listed anywhere. The reservation was made two days in advance and since she was on a time crunch I did what we thought was best for her. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Thanks so much for your reply, I tried this route but somehow couldn’t get to where I needed to be to discuss the problem

AnneMarie74
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

Thank you for this information. I would have called but I could not find a number listed anywhere. The reservation was made two days in advance and since she was on a time crunch I did what we thought was best for her. 

Yes, clearly you did what was best for your guest and hopefully the CS rep you reach will agree!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

+1-855-424-7262

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

@AnneMarie74 You may have better luck with a direct message to AirbnbHelp on twitter than a phone call. CS reps are sometimes iffy.