Extortionate/revenge review

Si6
Level 4
Canada

Extortionate/revenge review

I had a guest who stayed with me for about a week who demanded a full refund/free full week stay because there was a 15 minute fire inspection in the unit and then a fire that they started using a stove. He said they never used the stove and they have no idea how it started and that it was dirty. He was basically saying the stove self erupted in fire….When I denied giving him the refund he left me 1 star review across the board… Airbnb says the review is in line with their policy. In my view, it was clearly extortion as anyone who meets a demand for refund (especially such an unreasonable one and based on dubious circumstances) knows that if they decline they’ll get a poor review. I’m lucky my place didn’t burn down and they guest totally trashed the place at check out… how do you deal with Airbnb who won’t have your back with guests who are extorting free stays? 

3 Replies 3
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Si6 

I am sorry that you had this encounter with a vindictive, lying guest.

Your record as a host is exemplary and that should count for something.

Unfortunately, under the current administration, it does not.

It appears that the currently ill-trained, unresponsive and overworked off-shore CS representatives are not capable of dealing with guests, or hosts, who are dishonest and unprincipled.

As hosts, our only alternatives are to place our listings elsewhere, close our rentals, or suffer complacently and hope things improve.

Oh my Gd this is exactly my situation.  I wondered about leaving any comment about offshore associates, but I have called 5 times in a row, today, not to be answered a single time by anyone within the US and over 22 times in the last 14 days for an issue that has been with 12 Embassadors off shore, and no one is resolving it.  Everyone is brilliant on Airbnb, particularly their offshore employees (I am literally mind blown how All associates who answer can understand a multitude of situations for both sides and the patience and kindness is, literally, extraordinary, from nearly everyone, globally).  But, they are not seemingly given the same power rights, maybe, as US associates bc I cannot seem to get a timely resolution, which has truly and exclusively been the cause of much further damage between me and my guest.  I

am extremely depleted by this - it's too long of a story.  But I Do notice when US representatives answer, often times they can override situations and get to resolution, in a timely fashion.  With the offshore associates, I hear, repetatively, after an hour and a half of discussion, "I can update your file"!!?  OMG!! I understand it is covid and Airbnb is trying to save some money- but this is horrendous customer service.  I went down the rabbit hole with my guest, totally unnecessarily, bc no one was there to arbitrate fairly, during the cancellation (another representative took a call from the guest who manipulated a totally unfair cancellation with dishonest photos- and one a Six Month Reservation!!). Does it make Any sense that we are going past the 14 day mark? 

I mean, if Airbnb cared about the future of how hosts feel, I would suggest there is a time limit on ALL cases- and that both guest and Embassadors can discuss that policy and make sure things get done within that timeframe.  the longer a negative situation lingers, the worse it can get, sadly, on rare occasion.  I understand saving money but this isn't working and genuinely making me re think hosting, in general.  not that I would jump out, but the minute they closed down this house I would go into fix and flips and move on from the person to person dealings.  Airbnb needs to improve the speed of the service currently.  I'm sorry to be typing this, but it is my truth and important to relay.  My experience has been that horrendous, as of late.  Off to fix the small nodule on my voice from so much discussion with them, on the phone, to the point my voice is potentially permanently damaged.  So unnecessary.  Airbnb-this is a must fix.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Si6,

You can leave an honest, factual review for the guest and an appropriate response to the review that was left for you.  Just curious, was the fire inspection scheduled before the guest's reservation, and did you provide the guest at least a 24 hour notification period before the inspection took place?