Extra Guest and Host Protection

Daljit0
Level 5
Windsor, United Kingdom

Extra Guest and Host Protection

Its not clear whether the host protection covers for additional guests nor proper guridance in the event AirBNB cancel a booking.

I was the unlucky host to 8 guests which turned out to be 50+ people. The police arrived at my property in the middle of night and then it dawned on me that the guests had thrown a full blown house party with semi-naked people walking about, music that could be heard across the road, drugs and cars blocking driveways. 

AirBNB cancelled the booking after I provided then with photographs...which took over 3 calls by the way. The guests still refused to leave and only left at the end of their booking the next day. The Police reused to get involved as they said it was a civil matter.

The damages were paid by the AirBNB Host protection  but to date I havent received a penny regarding the additional guests. AirBNB are dragging their heels on this (we're escaling it) and I'm still waiting for them (3+ months) to come back to me. I had a £600 security deposit on my booking and would have expected at the very least this to be released to me.

Q. does host protection cover additional guests? If not how would you ever get the money back from a guest even with photographic or CCTV evidence?

Q. should the security deposit be used against extra guests before the damages which in turn are covered by the host protection?

Q. why is there no clear guidance for hosts when a booking is cancelled with appropriate paperwork to be given to the police?

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

The security deposit and if needed the Air BNB insurance is based on the proven damage and the proven claim.  It is not directly related to the number of unregistered guests or the activity that occurred in your home.  

You should understand that the security deposit is not actually collected by Air BNB.  It is an agreement for Air BNB to access the payment method up to that amount if there is a proven claim.  There are other sites in which the deposit is given to the host to manage.  This is a guest friendly difference with Air BNB.

What are you seeking from Air BNB to give to the police and for what purpose?  It seems that the police in your area are not seeking criminal charges so your remedy is a civil one, right?

Daljit0
Level 5
Windsor, United Kingdom

That makes no sense ! If the 'security deposit' is just for damages...then its no different to the AirBNB Host Protection.

Example 1. Host has £500 security deposit. Guest damages property amount ot £500. AirBNB through Host protection or security deposit reimburses Host £500.

Example 1. Host has no security deposit. Guest damages property amount ot £500. AirBNB through Host protection reimburses Host £500.

If anything the security deposit puts guests off as yet a further cost. If you are correct I would advise hosts not to bother asking for security deposit at all. All you are doing is mitigating the  potential losses for AirBNB and adding no additional cover or benefit to the Host.

In regard to the scond point: If AirBNB cancel a booking there is no way to have guests removed in the UK without civil action through the courts. That means the cancellation of booking by AirBNB simply covers AirBNB from potential losses if subsequent damage occurs. Rather I would advise Guests to inform AirBNB of the violation but make clear on recorded calls that the host does not wish to cancel the booking else risk not being paid for damages which AirBNB can claim happened after the booking was cancelled. In situations like this simple gather the facts (particualry photographs and CCTV which you are allowed to do in the UK) to make a claim and sell the story to the press. 

The above two issues are major flaws in the AirBNB business model and AirBNB should be very clear on these issues to Hosts and Guests. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Everything from Airbnb is based on physical damage, not other intangible costs (like more guests, smoking etc). You might try having the guests sign a separate and more restrictive rental agreement - although Airbnb may perceive that as going outside of its platform.

I'd also be worried that STR will invalidate any common insurance that the building would carry.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Uh @Daljit0 it sounds bad 😞 It is incredible that police didn't evacuate them , specially if there was an evidence of drugs and the noise is disturbing the neighborhood.

So it seems the best solution is to turn off the power in the whole house and wait until they evacuate.

All Airbnb hosts should take photo ID of their guests upon arrival. If anything happen at least you know who is responsable and you can sue them or report to the police.

Its a civil matter and not criminal. The Police will only arrest those taking or selling drugs...not removal of all guests unrelated to the substances. Further where guests are drunk they wont assist in their removal as this would cause issues elsewhere for example drink driving....best to contain them in one area.

You cant turn power off ...that may result in an injury and the homeowner would be liable. Again no AirBNB host protection for injuries. Thats why I state I take no responsibsilty for injuries in my house rules.

You cant sue guests as your contract isnt with them...but with AirBNB. AirBNB has a contract with them.

@Daljit0  This is why you have a rental agreement and get a copy if their government ID, so you can sue if needed. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Daljit0

Essentially Airbnb have washed their hands of it, next guest please.

This is really bad I feel for you. I had a simmilar exoerience (not as bad) that I had to follow all proces to make a claim with very clear deadlines and ways for AIrbnb to get out.   Now I need to patiently wait and wait and there is no timeframe for them to pay for damages I do not understand why doesnt it start by taking the security deposit.

Bad practice Airbnb we owners also support this communities and should not just be left waiting when things turn south.

Dont get me wrong...I did get paid for damages but not for the additional guests. And it took a few weeks.

1.) For damages...make sure you have a photographs of each and every room before hosting

2. ) Take Photographs of the damage and also have a witness (such as a cleaner) also view damages as they may need to do an affidavit

3.) Inform the Police if its a high value item as the Police reference no. will be invaluable. They probably wont want to get involved but they have to make a report. Remember the likes of Judge Judy love police reports.

3.) Buy the replacement with a clear invoice detailing the items

Daljit0
Level 5
Windsor, United Kingdom

If one states for example £60 per additional guest per night on the website and the the guest (and you can prove it) has 10 more guests...then the £600 should come from the security deposit. If the security deposit is only £500 then at least £500 that should be released. If there are damages this shoudl also come off the security deposit but where there is no money left then the host protection should kick in.

Extra Guests First ---> then damages claim. Not the other way around as the host protection doesnt appear to cover for additional guests.