Extra Guest for a night, How to Handle it.

Extra Guest for a night, How to Handle it.

My 4 night booking for 2 just ended earlier today, and I'm sure the guests were very happy.  However, I happen to know that they had a 3rd person stay one of the nights.  My listing indicates extra charges beyond 2 people.  I'm annoyed that the guest brought in an extra person but don't want to waste a lot of time on it.  Should I just write it in the review or should I also try to charge her for the extra guest?  If the latter, do I do this before or after reviews are left?

I don't like extra guests sleeping on the couch without bedding (unsanitary).  These guests also went to town on the complimentary drinks and snacks.

4 Replies 4
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Christopher187,

What you can do is to use the resolution centre to request the extra payment.

Find the reservation in "Your reservations" and then click on the "Send or request money" link.

The article below has information on it. I found it by clicking on "Help" and typing "resolution" in the search box.

What is the resolution centre?

Steve.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

What have you communicated to the guest, @Christopher187?  I would send a message in which you state that you are aware of the third guest on the couch and remind that there is an extra charge.  Be prepared to be able to prove your observation of the third guest.  Then use the request/send money option on the reservation to the guest.  If the guest denies that there was a third person use the proof to seek a claim through Air BNB.

Meanwhile, provide a thumbs down review of the guest for not following the rules.  You can count on a negative review from the guest.  You can respond that the guest failed to follow rules.

What a pain, right?  Just remember all the lovely guests you have had and move on.  It is a business afterall 😛

I had not communicated anything to the guest, I only posted here asking advice.  The guest pretty quickly left me a review (very positive).  I left my somewhat stern review today.  

Not sure if I feel like going through the claim process.  We charge $24/night for extra people.  For a single night extra person we probably would have charged more because that's another bedset we have to clean.  I'm just more annoyed that they don't ask.

If you knew an extra guest was staying, why didn't you go in and amend the booking at the time?

It only takes a few seconds to go into the booking and add the extra guest.

I am glad you reflected they brought an authorised guest to stay in your review.