Extra People: Kids Not Being Charged?!

Answered!
Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Extra People: Kids Not Being Charged?!

My nightly price is $105. I have a $10 fee for each extra person over 2. A family of 5 booked for a night. 2 parents, 3 kids (5, 8 & 10). I overlooked my guest age limit to allow them to stay. Normally we do not allow kids under 6 due to the potential of the young ones peeing on the bed.  

Airbnb charged them $115 total and said price "includes additional guest fee"

The math doesn't add up. They should have been charged for all 3 extra guests and the total should have been $135 right? 

1 Best Answer
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Donald28

When I enter 2 adults/3 children into your booking window it calculates correctly. Could it be that they have entered some of the children as infants ?

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Donald28

When I enter 2 adults/3 children into your booking window it calculates correctly. Could it be that they have entered some of the children as infants ?

Hmmmm, that's possible. What age does airbnb consider an infant? 2 and under? If that's the case then my guests made a mistake when calculating the number of guests. 

Yup youre right, it appears they added 2 infants instead of 2 kids. It states that infants are free so that's gotta be why they did that. My listing clearly states infants aren't allowed. LOL... It's amazing the things that people do to save a few dollars. Geez. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Donald28

Infants are under two. Perhaps it is possible to see in the detailed itinerary.  It usually says number of persons. If number of persons is incorrect, you can use the alteration tool and send them an alteration request with the correct number of persons.

In the itinerary the number of people is correctly showing 5. If they clicked 2 infants to save $20, would those infants add to the person count of the reservation?  If NO, then something is screwy with airbnb, not my guests. 

I called airbnb and they said they couldnt tell if the guests added infants instead of children. He said it could be a glitch in their system. So, there's no way of really knowing what happened. Rather than make waves and get possible bad review over asking for 20 additional dollars, airbnb gave it to me out of airbnb's account without mentioning anything to the guest. 

I'm happy but still confused. Now, I have to scrutinize every reservation and make sure all guests are accounted and paid for... whereas I didn't feel I needed to before this incident. I always trusted airbnb and guests to do the right thing. 

Hi @Donald28 Guests don't always do the right thing. there are many, many ethical, upstanding guests out there but there are always a few who will try to save a buck if they can get away with it. Counting children who are over the age of 2 as infants so they stay for free is common - but from a host's standpoint, they are using a bed & therefore incurring additional costs, so if you can catch them, do it I say. We recently had guests book for "1 infant" & then they let it slip that he was 3 & would be using his own bed - so they were sent an alteration request. We have a remote security camera on our front door & I would have noticed anyway. We used to just let it go, but now we hold them to account. Becoming increasingly jaded here. - Karen

Kids under age two not being charged is a ridiculous concept - started by motels/hotels and perpetuated by a false belief that they are somehow less expensive to house.  Not so.   I strongly believe that Airbnb should NOT be dictating to the hosts who to charge for (i.e. Airbnb displays under age 2 (infants) as no charge).  I know we have the option of charging for them anyway - and can indicate that in our description - but really - why should Airbnb be pre-disposing prospective guests to who is charged for in the first place.  That is the responsibility of the host.  This is one of my pet peeves.  it appears that Airbnb wants to compare themselves to shoddy motels/hotels who may not be charging for under age two - but I'd think Airbnb would have more self confidence and want to define themselves as being different from motels/hotels - I mean that is their claim - that they are unique, etc.   So why do they succumb to the social and financial pressures of conforming to what the motels/hotels do? 

The problem is that even honest people will take advantage of AIRBNB's recommendation on pricing - (i.e. infants free) - which creates an uncomfortable task for the host to fullfill as he/she informs the prospective guest otherwise.)   I have always had cooperation from guests on this issue - but i resent that Airbnb even recommends no charge in the first place.  I hope you all will petition Airbnb to change that policy for all of our sakes.  Fact of the matter is under age 2 cost just as much - sometimes more - to accommodate as anyone else.  I'd prefer that Airbnb keep out of that issue all together and let me as the host - happily inform my guests that I can provide a baby bed (crib) and/or pack 'n' play for no extra charge for their little one.  Wouldn't that be so much better - so much more pleasing to the prospective guest?  resulting in better customer service and better feeling toward the host and toward Airbnb.   It is my recommendation that Airbnb charge for all ages the same - and let each host determine if they wish to offer a special price for certain age groups.  What do you think of this?

Of course always, when you have rec'd an inquiry or request - review the details and do the math - in fact communicate with the prospective guest - asking question - to confirm and clarify - because, contrary to what Airbnb says - there is not always an up front indication of the breakdown of guests - sometimes it just reads "6 guests" and you don't know if they are adults or children and/or include infants.  So communicate with prospective guests on this issue and others before accepting the reservation.  Unfortunately, Airbnb puts the burden of discerning these things on us more than I would like for them to do - and they should stay out of the pricing arena.

As for someone suggesting one reason they are reluctant to rent to young children is that they might "pee the bed" - make sure you've covered ALL mattresses - and sleeping surfaces even if it is a sofa - with protective plastic mattress covers, etc...  It can go under the thicker more cushioned mattress cover so it does not cause discomfort..but we need to protect surfaces not only from childhood bed wetting - but other fluids as well.  (and kids over age three wet while sleeping...that's why they make pull ups in size 6 and 8...)

Furthermore - it does not matter if the child is "using his own bed" - there are other costs incurred renting to children - like moving around of furniture (lamps, etc.) and scratches, chewed on coasters, smelly diapers not being properly disposed of, etc.  for which one could charge the security deposit - but really a host does not like to do that everytime there is more work because of the guests - instead simply CHARGE FOR ALL AGES including UNDER AGE TWO - and AIRBNB should get out of pricing; period.

Ginger

@Ginger18 We just hosted guests who booked for 2 adults, 3 children and "an infant" - turns out the "infant" was 3. I know they did it to avoid having to pay for him, and I called them on it. This happens ALL THE TIME>  I completely agree, get rid of the under 2 stay free thing - they are just as much work, if not more, than any other child.  - Karen

How can we get AIRBNB to change that policy - of not charging for under age two?

I agree.  There should be a charge for infants of all ages.  They are children.  And Airbnb should not state:       " no charge for infants."    We are not suitable for children. 

All people create garbage and use power no matter their age. A toddler is not an infant and I have had bags of diaper garbage too heavy to lift. My problem is that when I request funds for extra people, it is just permanently under review. How long does airbnb hold the deposit and so how do es one stand a chance of being compensated? Also, when you have a septic system, the number of persons is very relevant. People lie though.

@Robbi1 Airbnb do not even charge a deposit let alone hold it for a period of time.

Indeed - Airbnb has created more problems with their attempt to define who to charge for.  Even if they wish to have a breakdown - which is useful - why not charge same amount for all guests - unless the host wants to do otherwise?  Charging nothing for under age two is not a good idea and should be changed.  Furthermore - it has been my experience that sometimes when i receive an inquiry or request there is no breakdown - it just indcates the number of guests - but it does not display a breakdown - (adults, children or infants) - even though Airbnb will insist this does not happen - it has happened on several occasions with me.  A glitch, no doubt, in the system.  So I always try to have a conversation with my guests - asking if all guests are adults and if there are children what are the ages, etc.   but eventually i must inform my guests that i charge for under age two - an inconvience that Airbnb causes... I'd rather be offering a baby bed or pack 'n' play for their infant for free than to have to inform them that i charge for the infant that Airbnb already told them was free.  Why - what is the rhyme or reason for Airbnb's insistence upon this kind of pricing?  Does anyone know?