Extra Visitors - Guests of our Guests!

Answered!
Gill15
Level 2
United Kingdom

Extra Visitors - Guests of our Guests!

I would love to know how other hosts deal with the issue of visitors arriving without permission, to visit the guests booked into the property.

We have a small apartment attached to our house but completely separate with its own front door and all facilities.  It is very obviously set up for two people ONLY and the entry on the website makes it clear that it is unsuitable for children or pets.

A couple of days ago we welcomed a couple to the apartment, gave them the usual information, answered their questions etc.  At the end of the conversation a comment was very casually dropped about the fact that there would be visitors that would be coming to dinner.  No permission was requested and no mention was made of family groups. Our understanding is that, when the apartment is hired, it is for the use of the registered guests ONLY and not to be used as a venue for any type of gathering or party.

Yesterday evening I noticed a car parked in our driveway and a family including two children got out.  I asked politely if I could help them and was told that they were visiting the guests who were booked into our apartment.  We were never asked if it would okay for extra people to visit but the very nature of the apartment (the size of the accommodation and there being seating for only two people in the lounge, for example) should have suggested that there certainly was not enough room for six people!  I immediately informed the "visitors" that we did not accept children on site and mentioned that we make this very clear on the website.  They were obviously disgruntled and all got back into the car and drove off.  A little while later, I knocked on the door of the apartment to speak to our guests, however, during the conversation they became quite irate, saying that they had not seen anything on the website about not accepting children and were very disappointed.  At that point I ended the discussion as I did not feel that anything further could be achieved.

I feel really upset by this incident and loathe the bad atmosphere that we now have endure for another four nights.  We pride ourselves with always helping our guests as much as we can when they have any extra requirements or need help with anything and we go out of our way to be friendly and welcoming.  This is certainly not an experience that I EVER wish to repeat.

Please feel free to let me know any thoughts or similar experiences you have had - I would be so grateful.  I really am at a loss to know whether I have been mean and should have just given in, or if I did the right thing.  It's left me feeling very uncomfortable.  There is also the issue of whether insurance would cover extra "visitors" with whom we have no contract.  In addition, I feel it is extremely poor manners not to request permission for sundry others, unknown to us, to occupy our property, using all the facilities without at least giving notice to the hosts that this is what was planned, let alone not offering a small extra payment.

Many thanks for any comments, suggestions or thoughts on this subject 🙂

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Clearly they had not read the descritpion in full and felt that you were being overly harsh - however as you say, you make it very clear in your description, etc.

I can feel for them a bit - and they weren't trying to hide the fact that 6 people were there for dinner. So, clearly it was lack of attention to your house rules.

A few suggestions - review your house rules and description, just to ensure the wording is tight. EG: the appartment is suitable for two - no additional day or night time guests over an above the max of 2 registered to stay.

Secondly - sounds like it has happened only once, but again you could make it clear in your email exchange that extra guests are not allowed at any time.

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Clearly they had not read the descritpion in full and felt that you were being overly harsh - however as you say, you make it very clear in your description, etc.

I can feel for them a bit - and they weren't trying to hide the fact that 6 people were there for dinner. So, clearly it was lack of attention to your house rules.

A few suggestions - review your house rules and description, just to ensure the wording is tight. EG: the appartment is suitable for two - no additional day or night time guests over an above the max of 2 registered to stay.

Secondly - sounds like it has happened only once, but again you could make it clear in your email exchange that extra guests are not allowed at any time.

Thank you for your suggestions - I much appreciate them!

I am going to tighten up the wording as you suggest.

Dunia0
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

I have the house rules on my listing but also printed at the aoartment. I always meet and greet my guests and ask them to read the house rules opwhen I leave - no need to read them in front of me! This way I ensure that if they did not read them online they do it then. So far everyone has followed ny Dos and Donts.

Thank you for your reply.  I send out an information pack before arrival and there is a copy in the apartment; this contains the house rules.  I think it is a very good suggestion to mention them at check in.  I have a checklist of things I tell people about at check in and I am going to add house rules to that.  My list grows ever longer but at least then there is no reason for them not knowing!  Thank you for this good suggestion 🙂

@Gill15 To avoid any awkwardness and unpleasantness I followed some advice from a very experienced host and added this to my house rules :

* For liability reasons, guests may not bring any visitors or any others to our home at any time, for any length of time. Only those individuals who are registered guests may enter the premises.

A list of the house rules are also on page one of the House Manual which I point out on the welcome visit.

You can also ask guests before they arrive if , after reading all of your listing and house rules they have any questions. I hope you have an adequat security deposit in place because having guests around that probably haven't read your house rules you may have smoking indoors or breakages through so many people being in such a small space.

Thanks for posting the addendum regarding extra guests and liability concerns.  I am updating my house rules asap.  I had to throw out some people last night. I got a same day instant booking reservation for one person.  She checked in alone after midnight. Immediately after checking in I counted four additional people going into the apartment.  She claimed they were visiting at "1:30 a.m." of course she started to bring up "race" as the grounds for my questions.  I contacted Airbnb and they tried to reach her and she did not respond to them and also insisted that she and "visitors" are  not leaving.  They were young people and I would have altered the reservation for the additional people however the original person who booked the reservation was extremely rude and  raucous.  I contacted the police and they left before the police arrived.  Airbnb was on the phone with me and heard everything.  I took pictures of all the guests exiting the property and have submitted to Airbnb.  They have acted promptly in removing the cancellation penalty and the automatic cancellation posting from my listing. Of course, they took the blanket and key to the bedroom....

Hi Sophia,

May I ask you how could I contact Airbnb if something happens. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Will

Hi Will,

The numbers I use are 1855-424-7262 or 415-800-5959. 

All the best.

Hi Sophia,

Thank you very much.

I am in Australia, so I think I have to find local number to contact them. Don't know why they don't put their number on the website like others.

Best regards,

Will

@Will45 they are real quick responding to their twitter account,never more than 5 min.

the trick is hopeing you get a good rep

@airbnbhelp

You know if they have any other way for promptly communication  what if we don' have Twitter.? Thank u

Hi Sophia

The number you provided for Airbnb, what is the country cod for their number?  I am in the UK.

Thanks.

Jan

Waundell0
Level 4
New York, NY

Aside from your house rules, airbnb now has the option for you to click on that will require potential guests to sign off that they read and understood your rules.

I also don't allow non-booked visitors. I threw someone out of my house at 2am. My guest apparently thought I was asleep when he arrived after a night of drinking with some female.  

Don't allow any irate person to intimidate you. Guests are expected to respect the host home or they can go find a hotel.

Hi, may I know how to have the check box for guests after they have read and understood the rules?

Thanks

Regards

Mary